Notify
Tools

338-284Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted
Anyone have data for the 338-284 win?

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The 308-284 uses 30-06 data. So you should be able to start with 338-06 data and reduce by 10% and you should be ok.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10090 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a cart. that is affected by action length. I have a 35-284 on a ruger short action. The bullets must be seated quite deep for the cart. to fit in the mag. Powder capacity is limited, so slightly faster powders are used. I can achieve 35 Whelan vel. with the 225 range bullets and really launch the pistol ones, but the heavy, longer bullets suffer. Should have a longer action, but then the '06 case would be better. I started this with the idea of a superlite moose rifle but have gone back to the 35404 for most trips. As usual, your mileage may vary, Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built myself a 338-284 some years back on a Savage 99F action and custom stocked it...I loaded it with IMR-4350 as I recall, but sold it shortly after I completed it, and sent all the data with it, sorry about that...It was the full equal of a 338-06 with 210 Noslers, but with the heavy bullets they took up a little too much powder space for the 99..In a bolt gun I would opt for a 338-06 IMP or better yet a .338 Win..all fit in a std. action....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41959 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to
www.kailuacustomguns.com
Click on articles and then on 338 284. There is an article on the cartridge as well as loading data.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which bullet and weight are you looking for? I've concentrated on the 210gr Nosler Partition pretty much exclusively and am well pleased with the results. The elk and mule deer don't particularly care for it but, . . .

Posts: 38 | Location: Front Range | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
TomS.... could you pm me your load data for 180's and 200's?
Thanks, Josh

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I didn't develop anything for the lighter weight bullets. I started with the 210gr Partition and was so pleased I never strayed from it. I figured it would do anything I ever needed, so . . .

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Tom...how about the some of your loads with the 210 partition? Just picked up a couple hundred.

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Tom...any chance i can get your load data with the 210 partition?
Thanks, Josh

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the short action MRC has a mag length of 3.1" so it is best suited for the job. I think the 338 RCM is a better choice now or better yet the 358-300 RCM

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
i already have a 338-284..so dont need the others. but thanks Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh, I apologize for not replying sooner but,I misplaced my reloading notes during a minor kitchen remodel and just found them. In my rifle, built on a MRC short action, RL-15 seems to work pretty well. I've settled on 56.5gr with Winchester Large Rifle primer and average ~ 2850fps measured. I've taken two elk and a mulie with it, both elk in excess of 300yds. I'm very pleased with the round. Again, I regret my delay in responding.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like 35404 mentioned, you gotta watch your COL if you're going to make any use whatsoever of another person's loads. Is the SAAMI spec 2.8"? The MRC can go much longer if it's throated for it. Maybe just my silly and expensive excentricity, but I've always thought the 3.1" action got much less use than it always deserved. That 284 case, the little 350/6.5 Mag case, hell even the 404/saum/wsm... you see all the 'cats made on them and to me they just beg for a weee bit more.
I can't imagine a better example than the 338 caliber, with it's abundance of long, high-BC bullets. 210's you should be fine with, and heavier as well as long as you aren't looking to take advantage of that caliber's long-range offerings.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I think the 338 RCM is a better choice now or better yet the 358-300 RCM

Been watching the 300RCM with considerable interest ... but I'm not thrilled at the moment with the numbers coming from it. I was close to getting Manson to cut me a 358/300RCM reamer (brass isnt even available in Oz yet) but the 350RemMag seems to do it all anyway.

Roll on the 375/284 ... if she'll launch a 300gr at 2150fps and a 235gr considerably faster ... I'll be happy. Just need to find another short action Ruger.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con, if you like the 350 RM, what's not to like about the RCM? My own opinion of course, but a 35 cal deserves a 250g bullet. That case will spit them out with honor.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I think would make a sweet little thumper is the 300 SAUM necked to 35 Cal. I have made up some dummies, a 250 gr bullet seated to 2.8in
col does not infringe on case capacity. It holds more powder than the 350 Rem and would fit nicely in a model 7 with a 20 inch barrel.
Super carry rifle. ?????????

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, why not? Someone made up a 35 WSM, the Sambar I think it was, and got respectable velocities from it. 2750fps with 250g? The SAUM is only a bit smaller, right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be and YUMAN,
My concern regarding a 358RCM is it'll be no different to a 350RemMag ... or hardly worth it. Not that that bothers a 35cal whore like myself ... 358Win and 350RemMag already in the safe, bought an M17 35Whelen on Saturday, and am in the advanced planning stages of a 303/35 on a No4 Enfield. lol

I'm avoiding the 35Sambar and 358RSAUM only because of the need to use a WSM/SAUM action, neither of which is remarkably cheap in Australia. The RCM case I'm hoping will slot into an opened short action nicely like a S/H Ruger MkII 22-250/243Win/308Win with minimal work.

Yuman,
How much water will the 358RCM hold under a 250gr pill?

Bwana-be,
3 of us are interested in ordering a 358RCM reamer, one of the guys already has a 35Sambar (we're all 3 of us 35cal whores!!) and reports that velocities are indeed 50-75fps behind the 358Norma. Idea behind using an RCM case is avoid the belt and avoid the feed issues inherent with opening a non-WSM short-action to the WSM or RSAUM cases.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote