Find
Notify
Tools

.375 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Ah, but it does have other load data on it.

http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/375Taylor.htm

And you're getting over 2600 fps with 300 grain bullets with the 376 Steyr?

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
Ah, but it does have other load data on it.

http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/375Taylor.htm

And you're getting over 2600 fps with 300 grain bullets with the 376 Steyr?

No, over 2500 fps.

btw, if i remember, the steyr is within a couple grains of the epstein, water capacity

is this where you begin to tell that person hot loading, as well?

jeffe

[ 09-03-2003, 23:32: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
How about reading the caveat on Quickload written by the editor of Cartridges of the World as I suggested earlier. Quickload is great when used properly. But no one should think it predicts actual pressures.

I see the context of the 416 Taylor post, but those data show the 376 Steyr does not match the 375/338 Taylor, Epstein, whatever.

I thought one chronos so they no when to stop. Cite me one source that recommends exceeding published velocities when using a load. Looks like there is enough steel rain to go around.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Just admit you misquote me, attempt to mistate what I say, and we can take a break from this.

Do all your loads go UNDER book velocity, since you like to claim mine are all over?

hmm, very interesting

jeffe

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Well, what goes around comes around I guess. As a matter of fact you accused me of being irresponsible for my loads, but I actually can and have demonstrated that my loads are indeed under "book" loads. You are the one who has posted the data over book loads. What is the reloader's rationale for that, particularly when you state a few fps doesn't matter? Yet you consistently post data that displays velocity over published figures. Show me where any of the loads I presented exceed published loads, either charge or velocity, even the 45-70 thread where this all started when you called me dangerous the first time. I present documentation and you continue to accuse me of being imprudent. As I said, what goes around comes around.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
better still...

show me, ONCE where i've gone load data?

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is starting to sound like something from HuntAmerica let's give it a break.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
k, then back to facts
Published Data... from the only commerical maker of the Steyr

Just pulled out my handy, dandy Hornady reloading book...

5th edition, Vol 1...pages 480 and 481

376 steyr...
225gr at 2900, with a much faster powder than I use

and 300 grains...
get this...
at 2500....

WOW... published data, from the ONLY people loading it commercially....and it's withing 1.5% of what I am getting with my gun.

And, when I take a look at quickload, with the same loads, the projected pressures are LOWER with the powders I choose than any of the higher loads from Hornady..

Wow, imagine that... a reloader finding a better powder to use... happens every day..

Jeffe

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
So you ARE over published velocities with your 225 grain at 2950 fps and your 300 grain at 2559 fps loads. You exceed both Hornady and Hodgdon published figures. I bet you exceed published powder charges as well.

Cite one source that recommends exceeding published velocities or charges. Still looks like there is enough steel rain to go around.

Quickload estimated pressures do not equal actual pressures. I'm glad you are confident enough to rely on a computer simulation that is known not to produce actual pressures than to rely on pressure tested data from reputable sources and heed those sources recommendations. You should really tell people at the range about your reloading practices; exceeding published velocities, exceeding published charges, relying on unreliable case head expansion measurement, and taking Quickload results as gospel, before you open up at the station next to them. They may not appreciate your steel rain.

[ 09-04-2003, 20:11: Message edited by: jackfish ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
jackfish...I like your signature line.

A corrolary might be "It isn't what you don't know that can hurt you, it's what you think you know and really don't that will bite you it the butt". [Wink]

This whole thread has reminded me of several things I know to be true.....(1) never get into a pissin' contest with a skunk...(2) don't kick a cow patty on a hot day...and (3) there are more ways to skin a polecat than reaching down his throat and tryin' to jerk him inside out.

For some others I might suggest this piece of wisdom.....when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging!

Yo'all have a nice day now...ya' hear. (How do you like my accent?) [Smile]

[ 09-04-2003, 20:14: Message edited by: DB Bill ]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Bill, I know I am tiring of it. But I learned that about a week ago when I just couldn't figure out that darn micrometer. [Big Grin]

If one goes back through this thread (I know, I know, its too much like torture) they will find at least a half-dozen errors and inconsistencies that jeffe has not accounted for. But why question him anymore? He is, after all, the reloading expert here!

[ 09-04-2003, 20:33: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and yet you STILL haven't shared with us your amazing knowledge of load developement. the last thing you posted on the subject, of subtance, was that you waited for a sticky bolt.

quote:
Originally posted by steelrain:
So you ARE over published velocities with your 225 grain at 2950 fps and your 300 grain at 2525 this is a correction of jeffe's to point out where jackfish misquotes, yet again fps loads. You exceed both Hornady and Hodgdon published figures.

by a WHOOPING 1% !!! I've had FACTORY loads that do it by a greater margin. Chronographed 300 wsm, factory gun, factory ammo, sighted it in, checked the velocities,,,, wow, just like ALL the huntin' mags say... it's 20-50 fps than published. any comment there?

let's get back to reality, steelrain. *I* am the one that said 2559 was too hot for my gun.. MONTHS ago. In fact, 2525 was what I settled on. funny, you are the one screaming to exceed 2500 with a 375 hh, which hornady clearly states, stop at 2500... which side of it do you want. You are the one screaming for the 375 to be loaded as hot as a 375 weatherby.. [b]

I bet you exceed published
powder charges as well.

[b] another bet you'ld loose. sorry, pal.

Cite one source that recommends exceeding published velocities or charges.
your load of 4350 is FIVE grains over the book for hornady...That's a 4% OVER CHARGE. what's your excuse? Oh, you picked a source that had a warmer load.... that's right, you CHOOSE that one. Allow someone else the same CHOICE

I don't exceed charges, even with my 257 roberts or 45LC. those two even run at PUBLISHED loadsm and it's well known that they should be loaded to +P. But, then again, here you go, telling every one that their DEVELOPED loads are hot hot... uh huh... pick say, speer 9 and speer 13... look at the changes in load and velocities...

so, what you are saying is that all loads will be perfectly on the published numbers? All will be lower? How about some will be faster? hmmm, interesting...
speer 11 STATISTICAL DEVIATION tells you all loads have a chance of being HIGHER than the average posted that is, unless of course, you are only quoting your HIGHEST speeds, rather than averages. hornady light mags, jackfish and his 2100 fps 45/70 loads and 375HH loads. In fact, sir, velocity is NOT a main consideration in reloading books.. accuracy is.

Still looks like there is enough steel rain to go around. yep, from your loads

Wow,
steelrain... hornday calls for BOTH rounds to stop loading at 2500. You continue to scream at the top of your lungs that you can get 5+% more by willingly loading it more... and then you would complain that my gun gets a whooping 1% higher, at less than max loads, which is will within standard deviation of the loads.

jeffe
See, bub, I too can read primers and would just faint over a sticky bolt. Let's see... if MY primers are as flattened as FACTORY ammo, then please let me know how it could be HIGHER pressure.

You just can't win this one. You scream for hot hot 45/70 and 375HH loads.. but when I post data that shows this is actually reasonable, as I am working from PUBLISHED or PROVIDED reloading data, , you somehow think "wow, he's hot rodding"...

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
jackfish:
quote:
I never said that published data and chronographs weren't valuable in load development. Primer condition, sticky extraction and other "classic" excessive pressure signs can be indicators of problems, but should be considered with a comprehensive evaluation of the load and conditions.
I never said I waited for a sticky bolt or flowing primers, those are the words you used to misrepresent what I wrote. I did not say I ever experienced sticky extraction, as a matter of fact I said I had never experienced a sticky bolt or lever in my load development.

jeffe:
quote:
Uranus,
I am loading 62 grains, NOT 68 grains...

jeffe:
quote:
60.0 2471 av
60.5 2491 av
61 2529 av *** chosen load to develop *** casehead .00275" new brass
61.5 2538 av WARM casehead .003" new brass
62 2559 av HOT IN NEW BRASS, very warm in once fired. casehead .00325.. STOPPED too much for me

Doesn't look like a misquote to me. Which is it 68 grains, 62 grains or 61 grains?

My load, published by Hodgdon, not Hornady:
quote:
Winchester M70 Classic Stainless 375 H&H Magnum
300 grain Sierra Boattails seated to 3.6" and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp die
Winchester brass
Federal 215M primer
74 grains H4350 START
81 grains H4350 MAXIMUM
2632 fps
Source: Hodgdon #27

I used the bullet called for in this Hodgdon load, why would I initially use the Hornady data for a Hornady bullet when I was using a Sierra bullet. You ain't makin' sense!
You never offered a source that you didn't exceed their velocity. I did not exceed the velocity of my source. All documented here. You provide little documentation, mostly hocus pokus Quickload estimates and case head measurements.

How about recognizing that you accept .003" case head expansion with new brass when Speer says that .0005" means 50,000 CUP. You must be way over 50,000 CUP, or more the likely, case head expansion measurement does not reliably indicate pressure.

I am saying that there is no reloading data source that recommends exceeding either the published velocity or charge of a load. You obviously ignore that recommendation. All the documented loads I have offered stay at or under published charges and velocities.

If accuracy is the main consideration, then why do all of the 376 Steyr loads you tout exceed the published velocity?

Please point out these "hot hot 45/70 and 375HH" loads. Produce the 45/70 loads, because, unlike your loads, they are documented as developed from and consistent with published data. The 375 H&H load is repeated above and is consistent with its source: http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/375hhmag.php
Your velocities are over published maximums, not mine.

Fact is you missed a zero you have not accounted for, I didn't lose that zero, you did. You have demonstrated with the information you posted that you exceed published maximum load velocities with your load's average velocity, not I,. You misquote the industry accepted safe operating pressure of a cartridge, I don't. You present miscalculated percentages, I don't. The loads you cry about may be under maximum charge, but it is clear they are over the maximum velocity for those loads. It is also clear that there is no reloading data source that recommends exceeding either the published velocity or charge of a load.

So again, you have not presented anything that effectively counters the above. You should have considered your actions when you falsely accused me of overloading the 45/70. Oh yeah that's right, you have a Springfield Trapdoor. You can really discover the potential of the 45/70 with one of those.

[ 09-05-2003, 00:15: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
So, Jackfish..
why don't you just shut ME up..

find a published load that says 61grain of rl15 is over charged... with a 300 gr hornady SP, at 3.085"

find it... or just admit you jusmped my shit for NO good reason...

jeffe

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Remember this?

http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=000185;p=1

jeffe:
quote:
first supossion
400 gr at 2100 is enough to match the 450/400... NO... you ahve a HUGE sectional density mismatch.. the 400 gr 458 bullet is great for bears and such, but it's sd is liek .25 or something.. the bullet will come apart

second
45/70 in ANY GUN will not give you 2150... that's max for a 450 alaskan in most guns, though i've shot the 450 at 2250 with moly coated bullets... still sticky, went back to 2150

third
bullets of a lower SD just come apart at close ranges or when hiting hard bone. In fact, EVERY 400 gr bullet we've tried, sp of course, comes apart at under 50 yards, in 200# pigs.

barnes/pther soilds..
you pay hell trying to get them to feed, unless you cut 10-20 grains off the nose

forth
the brownign 71 is a TOUGH action... and the best one i've seen failed, mechancically, in africa... load gate broke then the sight slipped off. this gun has been hunted HARD in texas... just wasn't up to the task.

would I hunt with a 45/70 lever gun, IF IT WAS THE ONLY CHOICE? yep... you betcha.... would i be anything like my 50th choice? NO... I would take a 303 with solids long before.

jeffe

jackfish:
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
first supossion
400 gr at 2100 is enough to match the 450/400... NO... you ahve a HUGE sectional density mismatch.. the 400 gr 458 bullet is great for bears and such, but it's sd is liek .25 or something.. the bullet will come apart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 400 grain .458" bullet has a sectional density of .272. I would like to see you make a 400 grain Barnes Original or Swift A-Frame "come apart".

quote:
second
45/70 in ANY GUN will not give you 2150... that's max for a 450 alaskan in most guns, though i've shot the 450 at 2250 with moly coated bullets... still sticky, went back to 2150

That is funny, there are at least documented cases here where particular 45-70 guns achieved 2150 fps with a 400 grain bullet. My W&H 1871 Buffalo Classic has a 32" barrel and had no problem reaching 2150 fps. A 24" barreled Ruger #1/3 or Siamese Mauser 45-70 loaded to 50,000 CUP and a 2.75" COAL will exceed 2200 fps with a 400 grain bullet.

quote:
third
bullets of a lower SD just come apart at close ranges or when hiting hard bone. In fact, EVERY 400 gr bullet we've tried, sp of course, comes apart at under 50 yards, in 200# pigs.

There is nothing inherent in a relatively low sectional density, by itself, that would contribute to a bullet coming apart. There are plenty of well-constructed 400 grain .458" bullets that are up to the task on heavy muscle and bone at short range. You obviously haven't tried them all.

quote:
barnes/pther soilds..
you pay hell trying to get them to feed, unless you cut 10-20 grains off the nose

Who would use them in this application? So who cares?

quote:
forth
the brownign 71 is a TOUGH action... and the best one i've seen failed, mechancically, in africa... load gate broke then the sight slipped off. this gun has been hunted HARD in texas... just wasn't up to the task.

More of your anecdotal evidence that does not prove a thing. There are many guns that fail mechanically. But I will guarantee there are a lot of M71s out there still going strong after all their owners could dish out.

quote:
would I hunt with a 45/70 lever gun, IF IT WAS THE ONLY CHOICE? yep... you betcha.... would i be anything like my 50th choice? NO... I would take a 303 with solids long before.

I guess I really don't care what you would use. If you look at the original post starting this thread you will see that it was about whether not a 45-70 can reach 2100 fps with a 400 grain bullet. It has been demonstrated here that it can. That a 400 grain .458" bullet does not have the sectional density of a 400 grain .411" or .408" bullet does not mean that it will come apart, it would seem that bullet construction has more to do with that than sectional density.

jeffe:
quote:
jackfish...
1: what did i do to piss you off? Nothign that I can recall. Yet, I'll be the bigger person and not start a war

2: Rob is a friend of mine, and I related EXPERIENCE in the field, with a LARGER case than he asked about.

3: And, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not load a non-flatpoint 458 (that means swift aframe or any barnes DESIGNED for that impact speed) into a tube feed 45/70 at 2150. You could have an interesting result.

3a: this is why you mill the POINT of the bullet, so it doesn't impact the primer of the next one.

4: low SD IS bad in and of itself.. which is WHY they make premium bullets.

5: Who would use a solid? DUH!, it's cape buffalo hunting here, you would just about HAVE to have solids in the mag

6: I have rung every bit of performance out of the larger 450 alaskan until it was sticky. That's all that there is, there aint no more.

Rob,
Did i answer your original questions the first time?
jeffe

jackfish:
quote:
jeffe,

1. Who is pissed off? I just challenged points that you made that I don't agree with. I'm not looking for war either. And with the evident difference of opinion/experience there probably is no middle ground.

2. I don't know you or Rob. I'm just challenging your generalizations and anecdotes. I probably would not use a 45-70 for Cape Buffalo, and if I did I would not use a 400 grain bullet. I also agree that a 45-70 with a 400 grain bullet at 2100 fps does not exactly duplicate the 450/400 Jeffery loading. However, I would contend that one would not see much difference in killing ability between a 45-70 Siamese Mauser loaded with a 400 grain Barnes X-Bullet at 2100 fps and the storied 450/400 Jeffery with the 400 grain load that it was introduced with. Actually, the 45-70 loaded such is probably superior to the original 450/400 Jeffery.

3. Who said anything about loading a non-flat point bullet in a tube amgazine gun. I was specifically referring to single shots and bolts. I wouldn't load a pointed bullet in my Marlin 1895 at any speed.

3a. You don't need to mill the point of the bullet if using a single or bolt.

4. Relatively low sectional density is not desirable for penetration given similar bullet construction and configuration. However, it can be made up for somewhat by the use of properly constructed bullets. A 400 grain Barnes X-Bullet will out penetrate most conventionally constructed 400 grain bullets; it behaves more like a conventional bullet with a .300 SD than one with a .272 SD.

5. While it is true that many hunters use solids, some in combination with soft points, it is not a requirement to use solids for Cape Buffalo if one uses other kinds of properly constructed bullets. So, NO one does not HAVE to use solids to properly take Cape Buffalo.

6. That you have experienced excessive pressures in a 450 Alaskan (in a lever gun I presume) is purely anecdotal and has nothing to do with the 45-70 reaching 2150 fps in single shot and bolt rifles. We all know that rifles display individual traits, another 450 Alaskan M71 may well shoot 400 grain bullets 2200 fps without a hitch.

So I think your friend should temper your responses with evidence to the contrary here, in other experience offered and in references elsewhere.

My Marlin 1895 has been modified to cycle and chamber a 2.7" COAL using the October 1998 Precision Shooting M.L. McPherson article as a reference. I have loaded a 405 grain bullet to 2100 fps in my Marlin, but it is still effective and much more comfortable to shoot at 1950 fps, which is the load I offered. Hence, with a 2.7"+ COAL and a single shot or bolt rifle, 2150 fps can be achieved in the 45-70 with a 400 grain bullet, which is the main point of the original question. So again, several people offering that the 45-70 can be loaded with a 400 grain bullet to 2150 fps and then you saying it can't be done.

jeffe:
quote:
jackfish,
let's get to the point.

dont point out "my anecdotal evidence" as being faulty, while somehow yours is better. That's what I am irritated about. i have worked with this ONE 450, and 3 or 4 45/70s... and guess what? you start crossing 40 k and tehy get sticky.

now, the 450 alaskan is a bigger case than the 45/70. and as such, as the SAME PRESSURE will (generally) push a bullet faster than a 45/70. this is a siamese mauser, for christ sake.

btw, should you hit game with your 1950-2000fps 405 rems under fifty yards you will experience bullet failure. the game may fall, in the US.. but not a bullet to point at big, heavy, dangerous game.

jeffe

jackfish:
quote:
jeffe,

The point is that the original inquiry,

quote:
One poster states that with a properly throated gun and by loading the bullet way out you can get to the 2100 FPS level. I'd like to know if any one here has actually done this successfully and if you'd publish your loads. Thanks-Rob

was addressed in the affirmative by posters other than you.

Hence, it is not just my anecdotal reports but that of several other posters as well. Of course, you are joined as well by others as being skeptical.

Some posters, including you, sought to limit certain points to lever action rifles when it is evident that such an application is ultimately and better achieved with single shot or bolt action rifles operating at 50,000 CUP.

Although the original intent was to equate the 45-70 with the 450/400 Jeffery as adequate for Cape Buffalo, nothing in the final inquiry limited the sought after results to bullets capable of taking dangerous game. However, you seem bent on limiting your discussion to bullets you deem as unworthy. I never said the 405 grain Remington was a worthy dangerous game bullet. I suggested that the 400 grain Barnes X-Bullet and the 400 grain Swift A-Frame might be. But of course, you never addressed those points directly.

If you don't believe those here who have reached 2100 fps with a 400 grain bullet in the 45-70, maybe you will believe Hodgdon's data for the Ruger #1/3 and Siamese Mauser:
45-70, 24" barrel, 400 grain bullet at 2.54" COAL, 2108 fps, 49,100 CUP.

Seat the bullet in a properly throated single shot or bolt rifle to a 2.75" COAL and it is clear that a 45-70 400 grain bullet load limited to 50,000 CUP will exceed 2100 fps. And again if the bullet were a 400 grain Barnes X-Bullet such a load would be at least as effective as the original 450/400 Jeffery load deemed adequate for Cape Buffalo.

jeffe:
quote:
jackfish....
I think you push you loads further than i would

jeffe

jackfish:
quote:
jeffe,

When one does not realize potential they are therefore necessarily limited. All that I have written considers the safe operating pressure of the firearms involved.

You have not addressed the main points of my argument. I resolved the matter in my mind. Perhaps you have as well.

jeffe:
quote:
jackfish,

to misquote someone

there are OLD reloaders. there are BOLD reloaders. but, there are no OLD and BOLD reloaders.

resolve away.. i am unconcerned, unless i am close to you at the range.

and, the reason there ARE premimum bullets is to overcome the SD issue with light for caliber bullets.

or.. the 500 nitro would just chunk a 500 gr barnes x (if it existed)

<ignore ON>
jeffe

jackfish:
quote:
jeffe,

That was a cute misquote. But I am 50 years old and have been loading the 45-70 for 26 years. The 1895 that has been on that entire journey with me has over 4000 rounds through it and shows no ill effects. But why should it? All the loads run through it have not exceeded the safe operating pressure of that rifle. With the exception of the load I have developed for the Marlin 1895, modified to cycle and chamber a 2.7" COAL, all of the loads I mentioned are published loads from reputable sources. Or don't you trust Hodgdon and Lyman? Perhaps you don't know how to evaluate work up loads when developing them for the 45-70? Why are you not challenging your friend Rob, who agrees in the proper rifle the 45-70 can reach 2100 fps with a 400 grain bullet and is willing to try such a load using a properly constructed bullet on Cape Buffalo?

A similar thread, don't you think? You make claims, someone challenges them and provides support for that challenge, and you eventually resort to name calling and obfuscation. Your actions are repeated here.

Well, I think I may finally be worn out on this one, just don't say something I don't agree with, and you won't hear from me. [Big Grin]

[ 09-04-2003, 23:06: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jackfish..

first, back to the TOPIC
Can the 300wsm to 375 match 375 HH (factory)
yep... sure could, wildcat and all, look up jamison and email him

can the 376 steyr match the FACTORY 375 HH..
yep, sure can. loads right from the hornady book. right THERE

what's factory on the 375 HH?
300gr at 2500 fps

Let's see... you STILL act like the guy caught pointing a gun to the side at a range.

jeffe

[ 09-05-2003, 00:47: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:

[b]There is nothing inherent in a relatively low sectional density, by itself, that would contribute to a bullet coming apart. There are plenty of well-constructed 400 grain .458" bullets that are up to the task on heavy muscle and bone at short range. You obviously haven't tried them all.

quote:
by Jeffeosso
jackfish....
I think you push you loads further than i would

jeffe [/qb]

read just a little about SD, okay?

Still awaiting your call
I too am tired of this. It's more energy than it's worth. Have the last post, have your say, and then, perhaps, you'll go away.

[ 09-05-2003, 00:49: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
1. So exceeding the published velocity of a load is not overloading? I have established that you do exceed published velocities and that no load sources recommend doing so. So I did back it up. You are the one who repeatedly ignores that my loads are consistent with published sources.

2. The 45-70 loads I use, and can document the sources of, are all at or below the figures for charges and velocities from those sources. I have proven here from your own writings that you do exceed published velocities. You can't get out of it, its there. You have not presented any load I gave for the 45-70 that I cannot show comes from, and is consistent with, a documented source. Your loads that exceed published velocities are documented in this thread.

3. I think I can show such a load from Lyman, I will edit this when I get to my library. In any event, I never presented an actual load in this case and was talking about the likelihood of achieving such a load. I think it can be done, you don't. A difference of opinion. But, I think it can be proven that a 400 grain bullet can be driven 2200 fps in a 2.85" COAL 45-70 from a 24", or more likely a 26", barrel in a rifle designed to safely operate with the 45-70 at 50,000 CUP; like a properly throated Ruger #1 or a Siamese Mauser. We can go there if you want, maybe we should start another thread though.

4. I never said anything about loading a 45-70 to 450 Marlin pressures in an 1871. And, no one specified which manufacture of M71. You are the one that is always assuming things so that the parameters fit your argument, or lack thereof. Your red herring is slipping all over the place. Gee, I guess P.O. Ackley was an idiot for pushing the 450/348 Winchester to 42,000 PSI in the M71. That is likely near the SAAMI 43,500 PSI for the 450 Marlin considering the difference in the boltface/cartridge interface. But of course, I never even talked about these things, you just read more into what I said in a feable attempt to refute my argument. I would like to know who it is you talked to about rechambering a M71 to a 450 Marlin. "...talked to them..." don't tell us much.

5. Published data, Hodgdon #27 45-70 data for the Ruger #1 and Siamese Mauser. Its there, you just don't know about it, ignore it or are just too stupid to attempt to be aware of it. It is well known that Siamese Mausers in good working condition chambered for the 45-70 have a safe operating pressure of 50,000 CUP. You obviously don't know that. Where have you been? I knew that in 1975 with my first one.

6. Alright then, the Barnes X-bullet or the Swift A-frame. When the 400 grain Barnes Original was available in the .049" jacket it was better suited. The moose, deer and hogs I've killed with the 405 grain Remington pushed to 1950 fps must not care that the bullets completely passed through them with 2-inch exit wounds. I already said they are not appropriate for dangerous game. Buffalo Bore thinks the 405 grain Remington is good enough at around 2000 fps for all North American game except the brown bears. Huh? So you are not the only one with experience with these bullets.

7. Where are the load data that Alliant gave you that you used to work up that load? We don't have much to go on here, jeffe.

Yes, the pattern is clear. I can consistently back up what I say, and you, well, are lacking, sir.

Thanks for the call, I'll check my voice mail.

[ 09-05-2003, 02:17: Message edited by: jackfish ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
first, back to the TOPIC
Can the 300wsm to 375 match 375 HH (factory)
yep... sure could, wildcat and all, look up jamison and email himAgain, you never read and comprehend what is written. I never said the 375 WSM could not match the 375 H&H. I did say that the 375 WSM is more likely to achieve 375 H&H ballistics than the 376 Steyr when each is loaded to their potential. Maybe you need a refresher in reading comprehesion?

can the 376 steyr match the FACTORY 375 HH..
yep, sure can. loads right from the hornady book. right THEREAgreed. But from all the information considered, not just what you select, it is clear that the 376 Steyr cannot match the 375 H&H when each is loaded to their potential.

what's factory on the 375 HH?
300gr at 2500 fpsSorry I don't "factory", my load fully documented as to its appropriateness, 300 grain at 2632 fps.

Let's see... you STILL act like the guy caught pointing a gun to the side at a range.I wouldn't know about that, I've never done it. But it is apparent you must know what it feels like

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
So, who deleted the jeffeosso post that my 09-05-2003 01:25 post with the 7 points responded to? Some kind of censorship, or just getting plain tired of it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post #100 and I bet that there aren't 10 on the point of the original question...including this one.