Find
Notify
Tools

.375 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
You keep assuming and reading things into what I write and then commit errors that you will never recognize. The 376 Steyr is not a 65,000 psi round. It is limited by the industry to 62,000 psi. Quickload and case head measurements are not definitive. As long as you keep ignoring issues I don't see why I should satisfy your pathetic demands to address ancillary ones. Sure your hot reloaded 376 Steyr can match 375 H&H factory ammunition. You never did say what powder you are using. I don't usually shoot factory ammunition and the 376 Steyr cannot match the 375 H&H when both are loaded to their potential.

Now you are reading primers? You mike them? Or do you read them with a caliper? [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

You continue to ignore what the proponents of case head expansion measurement recommend. Even they say you cannot get accurate measurements with a caliper. They also recognize that there are inherent limitations to such measurements. That is something you choose to ignore.

[ 09-02-2003, 19:30: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jackfish,
we'll make it simple..

can you measure .002 and .005 and know the diffrence?

jeffe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Well don't take it from me, how about Ken Howell?

Ken Howell has written 04/08/01 11:27 AM:
quote:
For decades, I defended the notion of miking cases to get an idea of the internal pressures being developed. I'm the editor who originally published both Bob Hagel's and Ken Waters' articles on how they do it. I also published Waters' "Pet Loads" article as a supplement for his Pet Loads book.
At the time, Waters and I both considered Hagel's method extremely risky. I still do (because it IS!). I supported Waters' more moderate approach. I've since learned how foolish and unreliable any variation of this basic technique is.

� Many cases don't expand enough, even at 80,000 lb/sq in., to warn of risky or excessive pressures.

� Catastrophic failures of overloaded rifles may occur with either the first over-hot round, or they may occur only after years of repeated use of over-hot loads. In the latter type of failure, the rifle has appeared "safe" with these loads, clear up until the time one round "caused" the failure "for no apparent reason."

� Cases work-harden in use. Repeated use makes them become brittle in the crucial portion exposed in the breech � typically 0.200 inch of the head of the case. Cases already too hard to show "excessive" expansion here (some, even at 80,000 lb/sq in.) are especially likely to become brittle in repeated firings and reloadings, and spew wild gas and bits of brass into a shooter's face. I have on hand now a rifle utterly demolished when half the head of the case blew back through the action. The rest of the case is still in the apparently unharmed barrel, but the receiver is in many pieces, and my friend still has one piece of brass in his face (a larger chunk was surgically removed).

� The maximum safe limit for many rifles and cartridges is well below the level of peak pressures that many cases can handle without any discernible or measurable indication of excess.

� The less experienced you are in the use of this method, the greater is the certainty that miking your cases will inevitably lead you to accept dangerously high pressures as "safe."

Careful lab tests of many typical "pet" loads, developed by attention to traditionally accepted "signs" of pressure, have shown their peak pressures to be 70,000 to 75,000 lb/sq in. The highest SAAMI "safe" pressure I know of, for any cartridge or rifle, is 65,000 lb/sq in. Most are lower. Many are much lower.

Some carefully lab-tested loads, developed by miking case rims, webs, and expansion rings, have developed 80,000 lb/sq in. without measurable expansion.

Stay well below the maximum charges listed in the manuals, and you'll be worlds safer without significant sacrifice in down-range performance. No micrometer is a reliable pressure gauge.

jeffe, you continue to grasp at straws.

[ 09-02-2003, 21:59: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Or John Barsness 07/29/02 09:32 AM:

quote:
I just did a bunch of the same research, and came to the same conclusions, by shooting loads worked up with "home" pressure testing methods (from bolt lift to measuring case heads) in a professional pressure lab. Could find no consistent correlation between case expansion (or even bolt lift!) and pressure. An article will appear in the next HANDLOADER on the experiments--which will also corroborate Blaine's contention that a chronograph is the best indicator of pressure.
Its beginning to sound like you think you know more than the so-called gun experts. When can we expect your next article on using case head expansion as an indicator of pressure?

[ 09-02-2003, 21:58: Message edited by: jackfish ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I think someone else who has posted here said this before, repeated the jist of it here and you ignored what they said.

"...measuring case head expansion is NOT a reliable method of estimating pressures as there are way too many variables involved, not the least of which is the inability of 99% of shooters having the skill (or proper mic) to consistently measure the actual, if any, expansion."

[ 09-02-2003, 22:06: Message edited by: jackfish ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
When pushed about his statements Ken Howell continued:

quote:
And being immensely privileged to be privy to a lot of factual findings -- both classic and recent -- about interior ballistics, factual material that hasn't found its way into the gun magazines and isn't obvious enough that every opiner in print or cyberspace sees its validity at first glance, I feel duty-bound to share the impact of these facts even though such sharing inspires onslaughts of doubts and dissenting opinions. It's worth noting, IMO, that none of these doubts or dissenting opinions comes from a dependable, well equipped experimenter who has tested and examined the validity of case expansion with good pressure-measuring equipment.

When several careful and dependable experimenters, each well equipped and confirming the others' findings, report that miking case expansion to "read" pressure has in their experience produced two significant bodies of serious error, I take all that as observed fact, not conjecture or opinion.

Those two bodies of repeatedly observed error are --
(a) case-expansion readings that indicate dangerously high pressures, when the pressure guns indicate pressures well below maximums
and
(b) case-expansion readings that DON'T indicate excessive pressures, when the pressure guns indicate pressures at AND ABOVE proof-load levels -- DANGEROUS loads that case-expansion readings do NOT detect, for example 70,000, 75,000, even 90,000 lb/sq in. in cartridges SAAMI-rated at safe only below 60,000 lb/sq in.

So my opinion of case expansion's worth doesn't matter. The facts do matter. And I don't have to have discovered those facts myself. Also, my acceptance of these facts isn't determined or affected by the dissenting opinions of otherwise well informed and intelligent people who happen NOT to have learned these same facts.

So my opinion is that the statement "Case expansion is a dangerously misleading and undependable method of trying to 'read' peak chamber pressures" is a well and repeatedly proven fact, based on well and repeatedly proven facts (not opinions based on old, opinion-based writings). I also opine with some confidence that this opinion is sturdily supported by enough repeatedly observed facts to qualify it as a final opinion.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Or what does Speer (#13, page 55) actually say about case head expansion measurement?

quote:
An old and less precise method ( case head expansion ) is used on "Wildcats" and non SAAMI cases. The measurement point is at the head adjacent to the rim or extractor groove but not the rim itself and NOT the point of normal bulge!!!. Testing should be made on once fired cases. The hardness of cartridges varies; a softer brass will deform at a lower pressure than a harder brass. For measurement a blade micrometer ( $135 ) accurate to 0.0001" is mandatory. The more common 0.001" will not give accuracy required.

New cases can give deceptive expansion readings. The first firing of any case will usually cause more deflection at the web than subsequent firings. We look at an expansion of 0.0003" with no individual reading over 0.0005". Case head expansion measuring 0.0003" to 0.0005" is generally accepted as representing pressures in the 50,000 CUP range *( thats CUP not PSI ).

Because copper alloys including brass work-harden, we use cases for only 3 ( thats three ) firings before retiring them from testing!!! Remember this method does not give absolute pressures. It is only a relative indicator and results can vary among rifle and cases.

It seems like you are the one treading on thin ice.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Or how about this observation that shows the absurdity of trying such measurements.

"It is just plain mystifying to have a refinement of measurement capability of 0.0001" on the diameter of an out-of-round case and NO way of even coming close to measuring to such accuracy longitudinally on a sloping case!!

[ 09-02-2003, 22:30: Message edited by: jackfish ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Or Lyman Handbook #46 shows the method to be unreliable when tested using a pressure gun in conjunction with taking case "pressure-ring" measurements. Some shots with SMALLER "pressure-ring" measurements actually gave higher pressures!!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jackfish...

Thank you for fully establishing that I am loading under 50,000 cup, as your quote below tells. in fact, since you are unable to answer a simple question, can YOU meausure .002 , .003, and .005 and tell the difference, I'll let the post you made, by someone else, of course, point it out for you.

quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:

Or what does Speer (#13, page 55) actually say about case head expansion measurement?

[QUOTE]An old and less precise method ( case head expansion ) is used on "Wildcats" and non SAAMI cases. The measurement point is at the head adjacent to the rim or extractor groove but not the rim itself and NOT the point of normal bulge!!!. Testing should be made on once fired cases. The hardness of cartridges varies; a softer brass will deform at a lower pressure than a harder brass. For measurement a blade micrometer ( $135 ) accurate to 0.0001" is mandatory. The more common 0.001" will not give accuracy required.

New cases can give deceptive expansion readings. The first firing of any case will usually cause more deflection at the web than subsequent firings. We look at an expansion of 0.0003" with no individual reading over 0.0005". Case head expansion measuring 0.0003" to 0.0005" is generally accepted as representing pressures in the 50,000 CUP range *( thats CUP not PSI ).

<i'll take 50,000 cup anyday in a modern round, steelrain/trollboy, but your own methods say i stop before then>

Which is EVEN HIGHER THAN WHAT I DO YOU, Jackass...

Let's see... Jeffe quits at .003" expansion from NEW CASES... wow.. jackfish's quote says .005 is perfectly acceptable... I quit LONG before it gets dangerous? oh, yes, steelrain, you don?t NEED .0001 to read .001?. just incase you aren?t familiar with common reloading equipment.

look there, bub.. totally safe, even from YOUR computer...

can you see .002, .0025, and .0030?
yeah... since you've dodged the question, we'll assume you need new glasses

quote:
Careful lab tests of many typical "pet" loads, developed by attention to traditionally accepted "signs" of pressure, have shown their peak pressures to be 70,000 to 75,000 lb/sq in. The highest SAAMI "safe" pressure I know of, for any cartridge or rifle, is 65,000 lb/sq in. Most are lower. Many are much lower.

Jackfish, this applies to your ?wait till the bolt is sticky? approach? why don?t you change your handle ? steelrain if you are waiting for a sticky bolt to tell you something.

Let?s get it right, trollboy, you freely admit you take it to a sticky bolt (above 60,000 CUP at least) and wait for leaky primers, and don?t have any other tools other than reading the primer and a sticky bolt, and you think that?s safe?

I, on the other hand, use the reloading manuals, computer simulations, stop BEFORE either the books or the computer says I should, look at primers (if it aint round, it?s too high), measure case expansion, chronograph and compare my field results with book and computer expectations, and err to the side of caution. Even as YOU pointed out, .005 is too high? and .003 might be? wow, you are such a professor? no, wait? it?s ME that says .003 it too high for me?

Yeah.. jackfish/steelrain/troll boy?. You are right? your loads are safe in your gun? but please warn everyone else at the range next time you go?. Be one of those rang guys that sasy
quote:
?ah, yump, I just add powder till the bolt sticks, and then I back off .1grains? safe in my gun?

Meanwhile, I?ll load for the 20+ calibers I shoot, and have brass that lasts forever?. And intend to keep on shooting for the next 50 years?

So, jackfish, once again, please post your exact method of how you tell what pressure a round is? Still haven?t figured that one out yet, have you?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
for anyone, other than steelrain, try this...

go get you a box of factory ammo...

measure it a couple times..
write it down,
fire it
measure it a couple more times...
average both results...

let us know your expansion results from factory ammo...

jeffe

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Again, you assert the assumption that I fail to follow accepted reloading practices to hide the fact that the use of Quickload and measuring case head expansion are fallable and you place more faith in them than is warranted. I use published load data, a chronograph and accepted procedures for load development. I also have Quickload and a micrometer. But I know enough to accept the limitations of Quickload and to recognize the foolishness of attempting to measure case head expansion, and moreover, placing any stock in what results one might get.

jeffe said:
quote:
I, on the other hand, use the reloading manuals, computer simulations, stop BEFORE either the books or the computer says I should, look at primers (if it aint round, it?s too high), measure case expansion, chronograph and compare my field results with book and computer expectations, and err to the side of caution.
To say that you err on the side of caution and I don't can't be supported. According to you "steel rain" must be the fate of thousands of reloaders without Quickload, who don't measure case heads, don't use a chronograph and follow the accepted practices outlined in their reloading manual. But of course, that is absurd.

You don't really want to hear my reloading practices, you just want to deflect from the fact that your use of Quickload and case head expansion measurement is essentially voodoo. I have presented evidence that case head expansion measurement cannot be correlated to pressure. If I want to measure pressure I'll use a pressure testing barrel or a strain gauge. Otherwise, published data, a chronograph and watching for signs of excessive pressure is the best I can do to evaluate what is happening in my load development. And you know what? I have never experienced a sticky bolt or lever. So you are way off base, again.

Oh, by the way, you missed a zero. So much for your precise measurements. Have a good day!

I, and everyone else I'm sure, appreciate your name calling and fallacious and facetious posts when you can't support or maintain an argument.

[ 09-03-2003, 00:30: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks, Steelrain..

I just knew you'ld get emotional, rather than answer the questions...

simple questions, you choose not to answer...

leave's one wondering...

in fact, this third I posted the case volumes, predicted relative velocities, and get called a liar by steelrain... when I get tired of it, he rants... nice

one would find, if you re-read these strings where steelrain has attempted to flame me, this one and the 45/70 one, I came to the thread politely, offered good advice, and jacktroll decides to attack me, infer naughty things about me, and then personally affront me, without offering better solutions than those I have provided.

please carry on your ranting,steelrain,if you like. if it's a rant, yet again, I'll merely ignore you...

is it raining yet?

jeffe

[ 09-03-2003, 01:17: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

posted Hide Post
This thread has been the only source of excitement in my otherwise ho-hum day. Thanks!

Since both combatants have referenced Hogdon, I took it upon myself to look up some data on their website and copy/paste some of their data (I hope they'll forgive my plagiarism, it isn't for commercial purposes) which seems to support Jackfish more than Jeffeosso.

375 H&H
300 GR. SIE SPBT COL: 3.600"

Powder . Grains . Velocity . Pressure
H4350 .. 81.5 C . 2645 . . . 49,500 CUP
H414 . . 78.0 . . 2548 . . . 46,800 CUP
VARGET . 62.0 . . 2454 . . . 49,300 CUP
H4895 .. 65.0 . . 2505 . . . 50,400 CUP

376 Steyr
300 GR. SFT SP (Maximum Loads) COL: 3.080"

Powder . Grains . Velocity . Pressure
VARGET . 62.5 C . 2410 . . . 59,700 PSI
BL-C(2). 62.0 . . 2368 . . . 59,900 PSI
H335 . . 57.5 . . 2324 . . . 60,300 PSI
H4895 .. 59.5 . . 2388 . . . 60,200 PSI
BENCHMRK 56.5 . . 2343 . . . 59,900 PSI
H322 . . 55.0 . . 2322 . . . 60,000 PSI

The Max load for 375 H&H can be 81.5 grains of H4350, and the pressure is 83% of a 376 Steyr load. There is only one loading that gives any velocities over 2400 fps, and NONE for 2500 fps. Even Eric Ching's data does not list anything in the 2400 fps range.
Going by the tables, and depending on powder, 68 grains in 376 Steyr is anywhere between a 8% and 25% overcharge.

[ 09-03-2003, 19:46: Message edited by: Uranus 125, 200, 500 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
And being immensely privileged to be privy to a lot of factual findings -- both classic and recent -- about interior ballistics, factual material that hasn't found its way into the gun magazines and isn't obvious enough that every opiner in print or cyberspace sees its validity at first glance, I feel duty-bound to share the impact of these facts even though such sharing inspires onslaughts of doubts and dissenting opinions. It's worth noting, IMO, that none of these doubts or dissenting opinions comes from a dependable, well equipped experimenter who has tested and examined the validity of case expansion with good pressure-measuring equipment.

When several careful and dependable experimenters, each well equipped and confirming the others' findings, report that miking case expansion to "read" pressure has in their experience produced two significant bodies of serious error, I take all that as observed fact, not conjecture or opinion.

(a) case-expansion readings that indicate dangerously high pressures, when the pressure guns indicate pressures well below maximums
and
(b) case-expansion readings that DON'T indicate excessive pressures, when the pressure guns indicate pressures at AND ABOVE proof-load levels -- DANGEROUS loads that case-expansion readings do NOT detect, for example 70,000, 75,000, even 90,000 lb/sq in. in cartridges SAAMI-rated at safe only below 60,000 lb/sq in.

So my opinion of case expansion's worth doesn't matter. The facts do matter. And I don't have to have discovered those facts myself. Also, my acceptance of these facts isn't determined or affected by the dissenting opinions of otherwise well informed and intelligent people who happen NOT to have learned these same facts.

So my opinion is that the statement "Case expansion is a dangerously misleading and undependable method of trying to 'read' peak chamber pressures" is a well and repeatedly proven fact, based on well and repeatedly proven facts (not opinions based on old, opinion-based writings). I also opine with some confidence that this opinion is sturdily supported by enough repeatedly observed facts to qualify it as a final opinion.

[ 09-03-2003, 09:11: Message edited by: DB Bill ]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

and

Jeffe...please read and reread (b) by Ken Howell. Please...Please....Please!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the double post as I was trying to high-light Dr. Ken's para (b).......

Jackfish...thanks for posting the words of Dr. Ken as I was reluctant to paraphrase him and couldn't find the text and kudos to you for handling yourself in a reasonable manner in the face of what was being hurled at you.

Jeffe...no one made me hall monitor but for someone who has almost always made interesting posts and observations in the past you seem to have gone off the deep end on this issue and I wish I understood why.

I don't think anyone has attacked you personally but I think both Jackfish and I strongly believe you are wrong...and Jackfish has presented some very strong information to back up his opinion.

<JohnT>
posted
Uranus,

You are comparing CUP units of pressure for the .375 H&H to the more modern PSI measure for the 376 Steyr. They are not the same units.

And as far as I understand there is no formula to covert one to the other. You just have to shoot H&H cartridges in a pressure gun & take new readings.

The PSI pressures for both would likely be much closer together than what you indicate.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Uranus,
I am loading 62 grains, NOT 68 grains...

I'll be more than happy to send you the Quickload chart for the powder, and then you can refer to my range results.

Eric's data is for a NINETEEN 19" barrel.... he and I have discussed this... To paraphrase "It's long been my opinion that the 376 would match teh 375 in the same length barrel"

Be more than happy to chat about it.

jeffe

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
376 steyr 2538 at est57,700psi (68 grains of powder)
375 HH at 2598 at est57,700psi (78 grains of powder)
375 Jamison 2557 "" "" (70 grains of powder)

Looks like 68 grains of powder to me. Oh yeah, but your load is 62 grains. Of what powder we all would like to know? Or was it 61 grains? I just can't keep track anymore. I'm spending too much time trying to read this darn micrometer.

jeffe,

62 grains of what powder?
Which bullet? Seating length?
Hornady brass?
Which primer?
And what was the published source of that load?

All your load information is incomplete with superfluous (case head measurements) or theoretical (Quickload) information. Providing complete load information would be much more useful. Maybe you should look at Lyman's pressure-ring measurements from pressure tested loads. There is no correlation between case head expansion and pressure. Maybe you should read Mic McPherson's Quickload caveat. Quickload cannot estimate actual pressure.

Here is how a load is presented in a complete form so one can compare it to the original source and other sources, and truly evaluate it.

Winchester M70 Classic Stainless 375 H&H Magnum
300 grain Sierra Boattails seated to 3.6" and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp die
Winchester brass
Federal 215M primer
74 grains H4350 START
81 grains H4350 MAXIMUM
2632 fps
Source: Hodgdon #27

You deride the 375 H&H load I presented and never commented when it was proven that it is consistent with published data. You claim no one should even attempt it. Are you saying Hodgdon must be irresponsible to even publish such a load? Just shows that you might not be as smart as you want us all to believe. Since there is a proven correlation between velocity and pressure, and I did not exceed the published velocity, and I did not exceed the published charge, and I did observe nice rounded primers, easy bolt lift and extraction, and subsequent priming seated primers firmly, and the load shot 1.2" five-shot 100-yard groups, I would place more stock in my load information than your incomplete, non-sourced, but supposedly supported by unreliable and theoretical methods, data.

And we are all still looking for that missing zero. I don't believe it, but if as Speer contends that 0.0005" expansion from new cases represents 50,000 CUP, then your 0.003" is way off the board. Look who is probably raining steel now! Funny such a scientific guy like you would miss a zero or not think a decimal place is significant.

[ 09-03-2003, 19:27: Message edited by: jackfish ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
jeffe, maybe you can explain to all of us the "magic" (your word) of a case with 68.5 grains of water usuable case capacity (376 Steyr) can equal the performance of a case with 83 grains of water usuable case capacity (375 H&H Magnum) when both are loaded to SAAMI COAL and under 62,000 psi in 24" barrels. That is a case with over 20 percent more case capacity. How does that exactly work? I understand the concept of more efficient combustion from a broader, shorter powder column and all that, but is that enough to make up for 14.5 grains less of water case capacity? I agree with you that the 376 Steyr can probably push a 300 grain bullet 2500 fps from a 24" barrel. But I proved the 375 H&H has 100 fps and 344 fpe over the 376 Steyr with real world data. Your Quickload ESTIMATE even shows the 375 H&H has 60 fps and 205 fpe over the 376 Steyr at an ESTIMATED 57,700 psi.

[ 09-03-2003, 19:36: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Jackfish,
once again, you are completly avoiding the issue, and attempting to cloud the issue with generalities.

the only thing that you've given, as a fact in your load development, is that you rely on a sticky bolt and primer condition.

You remind me of a guy at the range, that aciidentily points a barrel to the side, and then get's pissy when someone calls him on being unsafe.

let's make it again clear, that 375 HH balistics MEANS 300gr at 2500fps. I have no doubt it can be loaded hotter. But when one says "it matches 375HH" they don't mean it matches 375 weatherby.

the 375 jamison has a case capacity, empty, of 85 grains. With a 300gr woodleigh bullet, it has a USABLE capacity of ~70.3, at rick's suggested max OAL of 2.860"

the 376 steyr has a max capacity of 80 grain... and with the same bullet, it's usable is about 68.5, at again, the factory 3.110 maz oal.

WOW!!!... less than 2 grains of water capacity...
let's look at the 375 hh... a WHOOPING 2.5% difference in case capacity ... WOW

95 grains max, 83grains usable... SURE it can go faster... and has ~ 15% greater case capacity, usuable, than the jamison, and a huge nearly 17% more than the steyr.... an amazing 2% greater useful capacity....

wow.. that's just amazin'... cases that have NEARLY THE SAME CAPACITY can have nearly the same velocity... wow.. aren't you stunned?

"oh it can be longer" but not the the chrimpgroove, and therefore not, IMHO, a dangerous game loading practice.

of course the 375 HH can be loaded hotter than either of these cases can ever be loaded SAFELY...

but can either one match the 375 hh factory stuff? sure can... can it be done safely... sure can...

<yawn>
Do as you please, jackfish... you certainly prove that you will

jeffe

Using quickload, at 57,700 psi, why don't YOU , steelrain, run it and see what it comes up with. You said you ahve it

I am not certain you know how to use the features... email me off list and i'll tell you exactly how to do it...
parameteres...

300 gr hornady sp
24.5" barrel
max oal 3.110

There's your magic, steelrain.. get over it
jeffe
max pressure, 57,700 PSI

[ 09-03-2003, 18:33: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Theory vs. a pressure test barrel. Hmm, No thanks, I'll go with the pressure tested load.

jeffe, info, where's the info? Afraid one might actually be able to evaluate what you have presented? Oh, I know, you might think too much information is a bad thing.

What were the powders used in the Quickload estimates for the 376 Steyr, 375 H&H and 375 Jamison?

What was the powder used for the incomplete 376 Steyr load data you presented?

quote:
60.0 2471 av
60.5 2491 av
61 2529 av *** chosen load to develop *** casehead .00275" new brass
61.5 2538 av WARM casehead .003" new brass
62 2559 av HOT IN NEW BRASS, very warm in once fired. casehead .00325.. STOPPED too much for me

Missing zeros and math errors, I sure hope you don't do anything for a living that someone's life depends on.

[ 09-03-2003, 20:16: Message edited by: jackfish ]

posted Hide Post
DOH! I didn't notice Hodgdon used different units of pressure, and that I was comparing apples and oranges. Thanks for the heads up.

However, under Hodgdon's FAQ section "Can I convert LUP (or CUP) to PSI?" they state "All Hodgdon data conforms to SAAMI specifications unless noted otherwise in the data." http://www.hodgdon.com/faq/index.php#Can%20I%20convert%20LUP

There is no "...unless otherwise noted" disclaimer on the 375 H&H section of Hodgdon's website. Therefore, 81.5 grains of 4350 is a non-steelrain proposistion. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/375hhmag.php

Finally, Hodgdon data for the 376 shows a barrel length of 24", not 19", and there is only one load the just edges into 2400 fps. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/376steyr.php

Mr Osso. Which powder are you using? I've looked a number of times, but I'm a poor reader (PSI vs CUP mistake as proof) please use all capital letters for the powder name.

Have I overlooked anything again?

[ 09-03-2003, 20:05: Message edited by: Uranus 125, 200, 500 ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Theory vs. a pressure test barrel. Hmm, No thanks, I'll go with the pressure tested load.

jeffe, info, where's the info? Afraid one might actually be able to evaluate what you have presented? Oh, I know, you might think too much information is a bad thing.

What were the powders used in the Quickload estimates for the 376 Steyr, 375 H&H and 375 Jamison?

What was the powder used for the incomplete 376 Steyr load data you presented?

quote:
60.0 2471 av
60.5 2491 av
62 2559 av HOT IN NEW BRASS, very warm in once fired. casehead .00325.. STOPPED too much for me

Read the orginal post, steelrain..

it's in big bores...

there ya go
jeffe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
steelrain,
learn to use your tools..

quickload can answer those questions for you. I've posted the powder, it's been there for months...

get over it, get around it, or just
get

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill - I don't want to get involved with the thread, but would like to comment on the post from Ken Howell. He doesn't mention that case head expansion is very reliable when comparing the same components - This process has been used for longer then I can remember, and as far back that I have found documentation. The problem, and I agree with Mr. Howell, is that it isn't reliable because most people misuse it. I'm guilty of using it incorrectly, until I gained a complete understanding of the process (or at least I believe I understand it now). If any components are changed, previous dimensions should not be used. I believe this even goes as far as lot #'s for primers. Just my $.02, maybe I'm in left field.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
: http://www.chuckhawks.com/376steyr.htm
According to Hodgdon reloading data, handloaders can equal the performance of the Hornady factory load giving a 270 grain bullet a MV of 2610 fps using 65.5 grains of VARGET powder, and achieve maximum velocities of about 2910 fps with the 225 grain

speaks for itself, don't it
jeffe

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I did a Big Bore search on "376" and member #8427 and I can't find anything but "steelrain" load references from you. No powder. No complete load info. Just inflated velocities which indicate your "steelrain."

quote:
with a 24" barrel, 376 steyr, and BOOK loads

300 grains at 2500+
230gr at 2800+
225 at 2900+

and all submoa

Jeffe

And now the 376 Steyr matches the 416 Taylor, man are you fresh!

quote:
yep..it's out there...

www.416taylor.com has load data for it...

btw, 376 steyr duplicates this

jeffe

quote:
Seems a little hot to me, as I am getting 2950 from 225 grains...

I like varget/rl15/748/benchmark for my 376... and it shoots well.s

Mebbe the barnes blue pills are lubed enough to help with the pressure, but I dont think I would drive em past 2800.

jeffe

Of course, jeffe gets 40 fps more than what Chuck says is possible. It that possible?

I'm still looking. Can't find it. What is the URL?

[ 09-03-2003, 20:30: Message edited by: jackfish ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
T/C nimrod, I think Ken would emphatically say that case head expansion measurement is unreliable, same components or not. If you read what is presented here from Ken he does not qualify his opinion with anything about like components. He also points out that there a lot of people who are hanging on to this technique tenaciously. However, The data do not support a correlation between case head expansion and pressure. Period.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay,
Here's the wicked deal
I took a mexican 36 action a NICE walnut stock, bold trigger, leupold 1x4 IIc (updated the reticle) and did it in 376. It feeds PERFECT

anyway, i did a SLOW inletting... look about 12 evenings, and then bedded it with acragel. It's going off to be blued in a week or so, but....

it shoots GREAT... with book loads, and book lengths (235gr speer, 66 gr varget, win mag primers, set to 2.060 est vel 2750, ME about 3900, and est pressure is "nominal, but can go MUCH higher") with a 4x scope, shots, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 all hit in a 1.2" group at 100.

Since I normally shoot a 416 rem, the recoil felt like a 308.

Like I said, it's going off to be blued and then I'll start doing real load dev.. like measuring distance to Lans, and playing with powders and bullets. My goals are 1: 235 speer at 2850, 2: 300 gr X or solids at 2400. I think it's more than possible, and subinch at that.

there ya go, my african light rifle.

Jeffe

So the powder is VARGET for the 300 grain 376 Steyr load? What are the powders for the Quickload estimates?

Your listed load exceeds published velocity with 2 grains less powder. How do you explain that? Are you in the habit of exceeding published load velocities? I thought you said you use a chronograph? Digging yourself in deeper, are you?

[ 09-03-2003, 20:44: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
No, Steelrain,.., search for the 300 grains...it aint varget.. it's right there.. been there for months

you can do it

menawhile

jackfish,
do a search in this forum (bigbore)and find out...

they are there.. been there for months

btw, steelrain, hornady sells the 225 as REDUCED loads... and the 260s at 2610, as well.

perhaps, sir, you just don't have first hand knowledge of the subject at hand
quote:
According to Hodgdon reloading data, handloaders can equal the performance of the Hornady factory load giving a 270 grain bullet a MV of 2610 fps using 65.5 grains of VARGET powder, and achieve maximum velocities of about 2910 fps with the 225 grain

Oh, and for "300fps faster than published" perhaps you should read a little about the 376, as the 376/225 gr factory ammo is DOWN LOADED from the factory

quote:
The 225 grain bullet is a reduced power (and recoil) load and also features an advertised MV of 2610 fps with ME of 3325 ft. lbs.

quote:
So jeffe is 40 fps over what Chuck says is possible. Is that possible? HA!

yep.. at 5.5" of barrel, and 40 fps is, well, trivial .. over the steyr scout

you DO understand that a longer barrel can make a load faster, right?

you know.. the ole rule of thumb... 1" adds between 25 and 50 fps, depending on the gun...

futher, with other folks PUBLISHED data, at 19", you can get over 2320 with 300 grain pills.. <whipes out the ole slide rule> hmm, let's do a best worst case...

(agreeing that published CHRONOED results are accurate)
worst case
2325 + (5.5 *25) = 2467.5 fps
2325 (5.5 * 50) = 2600 fps on the nose..

average WOW... 2533...
baseline from this, buddy
quote:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~chingesh/AH376DGLoads.html
.376 Steyr Scout, 61.4 grains IMR 4895

Bullet (Hornady) 300-gr RNSP
B.C. = .250
300-gr RN Solid
B.C. = .275

Average Velocity (ft/sec) 2325

got anything else to say?
jeffe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

And now the 376 Steyr matches the 416 Taylor, man are you fresh!

no, steelrain, you are out of context, as teh post you describe was the 375x338... shesh, I would have thought you had passed reading... and the loads are there for THAT ROUND. I see you are mixing laod data, again?

quote:
yep..it's out there...

btw, 376 steyr duplicates this (375 epstein, that is)

jeffe

quote:
Seems a little hot to me, as I am getting 2950 from 225 grains...

I like varget/rl15/748/benchmark for my 376... and it shoots well.s

Mebbe the barnes blue pills are lubed enough to help with the pressure, but I dont think I would drive em past 2800.

jeffe

Of course, jeffe gets 40 fps more than what Chuck says is possible. It that possible?

I'm still looking. Can't find it. What is the URL?[/QB][/QUOTE]

You getting a clearer message, now, steelrain? You need to get your FACTS straight...

1: 375x338win was the subject of conversation
2: THere I go, asking a fella to back down a load, in your OWN quote
3: look slightly above.. eric gets 2325 out of a 19" barrel... LMAO

you are keeping up, right?

You do understand that you keep pounding away.... at sand

is it raining?
jeffe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jackfish..
let's chat... I'll email you my phone number... we'll talka bout this, like adults?

This is getting out of hand, and I do dislike misquoting each other... horrible medium for a give and take discussion

jeffe

[ 09-03-2003, 20:54: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
If the powder is VARGET for your 300 grain 376 Steyr load, then how do you explain these discepancies?

376 Steyr
24" test barrel
300 grain Swift seated to 3.08" COAL
58 grains VARGET START
62.5 grains VARGET compressed MAXIMUM
2410 fps
59,700 PSI
Source: Hodgdon online

You get 150 fps more with .5 grains less powder with the bullet seated .03" farther out. Just what bullet are you using? Something doesn't add up (surprise!) or the Mexican is quite the iron.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
What! Now you get civil when you have difficulty documenting your assertions, and after accusing me of being unsafe and essentially incompentent? You can email me, the address is available.

[ 09-03-2003, 21:01: Message edited by: jackfish ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to spend an evening with the man over a cup of coffee. Interesting how data, and ideas, can differ so greatly in this industry. I will respectfully disagree, or is that agree to disagree?

Sounds like this whole process in general is up for debate - which is fine, debate is good. I'll share an experience I had that may or may not help here. I was developing loads for a single shot handgun chambered in .41 Magnum. While watching primer appearance, keeping track of case extraction, documenting velocities, and maintaining a feel for gun performance (recoil, gun reaction) I ran head into a high pressure situation. I do not know what the actual pressure was, but my first indication was an extreme jump in velocity, and case seperation. There where no other indications up to that point. As I researched where I went wrong, I found Ken Waters method of case head expansion as a "pressure comparison method". I took his process, applied it to the fired brass, and sure enough, I would have seen the situation coming two ramps earlier in the session.

Keep in mind, this is just an experience, I can't talk specifics about pressure - I'm not experienced enough (thought I was, until I realized how little I truly understood). I find others findings interesting and sometimes intriguing, but always useful. Thanks for the discussion. (Sorry for the intrusion Lee M.)

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Chuck Hawks is referencing Hodgdon 376 Steyr data, tested in a 24" barrel, not a 19" barrel So, jeffe, again you are wrong. And the steel rain could be said to be yours not mine.

quote:
SHOT IT TODAY!@!!
These loads, of course, are not for anyone to every use.

This is unreal, but these are the results I got at the range with my 376 steyr, 24� barrel, about 80degrees

Reloader 15, 300 grain hornady, incrementing loads 0.5 grains, starting 3.095�

forgot to include the casehead expansion
59.5 2460 av
60.0 2471 av
60.5 2491 av
BTW,
The 235gr speer with 66 gr of varget,
2803 av

Holy COW, I am matching the 375HH, with my short action 376, and it's PLEASANT to shoot. It's 2/3 my 416, felt. I shot 20, and my buddy shot 16. It was GREAT.

The 235s are as flat as a 3006 with 165!!

Lots of looks and stares, but no takers to shoot.

Shooting Chrony Beta Master, 80 degrees, 10 or 11 feet. Index load of right at 2800 with a 284 used to verify.

I am PUMPED and I'll keep you guys posted.
jeffe

Well, I found it! Reloder 15! What was the source of that load, oh of course, Quickload.

Your 235 grain load exceeds published 24" barrel velocity by 65 fps with 2 grains less powder. So you do have a habit of exceeding published figures.

It is easy to go back and edit posts to try to cover your tracks, the quote about the 416 Taylor is right from your post. I won't call you a liar as you have previously accused me of doing, when I never did.

[ 09-03-2003, 22:02: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jackfish,
the post before mine, on the 416 taylor, asks

quote:
big for forums
x-caliber
One Of Us
Member # 9681

posted 07-19-2003 05:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if there is a wildcat that is based on the .338 Winchester Magnum necked up to hold .375 diameter bullets. If so where could one find loading data and ballistics for such a cartridge. It would appear that if this cartridge exists, the performance level would fall somewhere in between the 9.3 x 62 and a .375 H&H. Plus it would fit in a standard length action.

Thanks for any help guys...X

--------------------
"It is often better to remain silent and appear as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 172 | From: Georgia | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged

jeffeosso
One Of Us
Member # 8427

posted 07-19-2003 05:52
yep..it's out there...

btw, 376 steyr duplicates this

jeffe

SO, in fact, I answered the gentleman's question in regards to a 375 epstein and told him the 376 matches it.

Any disagrement in that this is in regards to the 375 epstein and 376 steyr, rather than a 416taylor? The 416taylor.com website had load data for the 375 epstein

here's the new link to that site, but it nolonger has anything but 416taylor on it
http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/

jeffe

[ 09-03-2003, 22:58: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your 235 grain load exceeds published 24" barrel velocity by 65 fps with 2 grains less powder. So you do have a habit of exceeding published figures.
happens.. that's why one chronos

It is easy to go back and edit posts to try to cover your tracks, the quote about the 416 Taylor is right from your post.
right from my post, in answer to a qeustion on the 375x338, as seen in above. Take a look at the "edit" date... been there awhile. I included the entirely above.

and, for what it's worth
cartidges of the world thinks enough of quickload to use it for several to many of it's loads.

yep.. bad company for me to run in

jeffe

[ 09-03-2003, 23:06: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]