THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Unchambered 25 caliber contender needing a wildcat....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unchambered 25 caliber contender needing a wildcat....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted
bought an unchambered 25 cal contender 24" barrel with a a blank extractor at a good price... What direction should I go where i won't spend all my money on dies? I don't want to spend more than a hundred on dies and a hundred to get it chambered..... 25 fireball, 256 mag, 256 max, 25 hornet, 257 tcu, 257 kimber, 25x222 mag, 25-20, 25-35, 25-35 IMP, 250-3000 ..... I will be harder to convince on the chamberings available through ed's or the custom shop. Other than that I am pretty open. As soon as I get it in my hands and check the twist, I may decide on a heavy bullet long throated 25-20, 25 hornet or 25 fireball to fling 117 gr at about a thousand fps for paper, squirrels and gophers. I just want a fun, different cartridge to play with....

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
.250/3000 Ackley is the most bang for the buck here, Although the .257 Ackley itself is a tad sweeter.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
On that rig I like a rimmed round

How about this. I think this might work.
a 257-444 or 257 AI-444

use 257 Roberts dies and reamer. add a rimmed recess and use factory ammo in a pinch.

use 444 brass and shell holder.

get a new extractor and it is not a wildcat anymore for resale.

Deer to prarie dogs.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if this is a Texas Contender barrel like I have been seeing on auctionarms. Been watching those myself. Really interested in what you think of it, if this is where it came from? I am considering one of the 357 bores and maybe a 44 (both for wildcats). Hope it works out for you.

Safe shooting
Doug

Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2547 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
Yes it is one of the barrels from rostov on auctionarms. I will let you know about the quality. i wish he had a 338 unchambered contender barrel...been wanting a 338 spectre or a 338 whisper or a 338x223...

I think the 257 Roberts is pushing the limits of the contender or G2 frame... i may use your idea and do a rimmed 250 Savage or maybe even a rimmed 25 BR.

Some of this will be settled when i see the twist but I assume it is 1-10

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the Roberts case is 2.233"
I did not know that would be too big.
If so the savage is a good alternate.
Have fun!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
It seems that 250 and 300 savage are the limit and many disagree with that but SSK chambers both in a Contender but none of the slightly larger ones such as 257 Roberts and or 243 or 308. Factory loads or equivilent handloads in the savages have never caused me any problems.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This cobbled up thought may not meet your criteria, but I'll give it a fling and see if it gets shot down....

How about a .25 Donaldson Wasp? Would surely be the only one on your block, and should be very acurate too.

Dies could be pieced together with a bit of fiddling around. For instance, used .219 Don Wasp dies are fairly easily found items....not at every gun show or shop, but not impossible, either. Cut the die off at about the middle of the shoulder, and you have a body/shoulder "bump" die. A cut off .25-06 die will make a good neck-sizer. A little thinking/experimenting will come up with a die which can serve as a bullet-seater. Cases are easily made from .30-30, or by some approach such as trimming/fire-forming .225 Winchester cases.

For that matter, you could just make a .25/.225 Winchester to start with. It would have more capacity than the .25 Don Wasp and might not be quite as accurate, but it would be easier to putz together dies for. And of course it could end up MORE accurate and at a higher velocity.

Sounds like a fun project to me. Can you give a little more info on the fellow & source you got the barrel from? I might like to try some of that myself...

Good luck,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
The seller goes by rostov on auctionarms.com and is located in Bowie, TX. I have purchased several items from him and they are accurately described and he always has a lot of unusual odds and ends listed. thanks for your input on my wildcat pursuit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). Mr. Brown, eabco.com, has been working with the .219 Don Wasp and full length improved Zipper for years. He offers brass. Has a falling block in both pistol and rifle that has won top matches. Might be worth your time to have his counsel as you "zero in."
#2). Mike Bellm, bellmtcs.com, has been doing contenders for years. He mentions one round, brass out of Europe, Rimmed and slightly longer than .222 Rem Magnum. No problem for contender action... My preference for all around varmint is the .25/35 Ack Imp. Unbelieveable performance reported. I asked Mr. A by letter if this was in Win Single Shot rifles and he said "no"... got it in 94s right along... Marlins. etc. Luck.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcorn 25x.303 or 25x30-40 beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would do a 25 /30-30 IMP

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a 25 Souper!!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a 307 case for a rimmed 25 Souper or use my chamber specs and have a rimmed 257DGR.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Truthfully, I just don't see a wildcat cartridge die set being available for $100 or less anymore. RCBS still sells die sets for anything that they have an existing design for (but no longer do new custom designs), but even the most common of them (like 25-35 AI or 25 Souper) cost over $100 now. Even a set of 256 dies is over $100 on their website. Only way to get a set of dies for the price you want to pay is to get lucky at a garage sale or gunshow or maybe on Ebay and find something that would work for you.

There are lots of possibilities as there are 25 caliber wildcats on most rimmed cartridges like 25/35 AI, 256, 25 Hornet, you can do a 257 Roberts rimmed by reforming 7x57R Mauser brass or cut down 9.3x74 brass and form it to a 25/06 rimmed case. Also several 25 caliber wildcats on the 30/40 Krag and 303 British brass. There is also the 5.6x50R brass that was briefly mentioned by iiranger (this brass has the same case head but is just a little longer than the 222 Magnum) that can be used to make a rimmed version of the 257 Kimber. Lots of options, just pick the case that gives the powder capacity you want.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
.257 STW...................... LOL rotflmo

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...Lots of wisdom and a bit of humor here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
25x39 would be fun to shoot

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
.25X.307AI, about all the Contender frame will stand, but a really nice performer.

Parent .307, .25X.307AI case, .243 for contrast.

Sight in target.

Kim at Chase Mountain Custom did the chamber work, modified the dies, got it all set up and ready to go. Great guy to work with.
www.chasemountaincustom.com

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
.250-3000 AI, you won't be disappointed! Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote