New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Long Magnums
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm contemplating putting a 358 cal barrel on a Brno 602 .There are various H&H based cartridges such as the 358STA, 358/340 Wby, 358 Barnes,350 Mashburn super mag & 35 Ackley Imp Mag. These will add about 200 fps to anything the 358 Norma can do. Then there is the 404/Rum calibres like the 358 ultra mad Towsley or the 360 Imperial. They likely add another 150 fps. Anyone out there with one of these calibres?? Any comments pro or con. Anyone have a set of dies in one of these calibres they want to part with ? I leaning towards the H&H based rounds. Cheaper ,easier to get brass ,one extra round in the mag. Thanks for any comments

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only Downside is not many make 358 bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman,

Why not let me sell you a 358STA Winchester 70 at a price cheaper than you can build one. PM me if interested.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As they say in the court: asked and answered.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Snowman, i have two. One is a 358 Griffin & Howe Improved. Brass is easy to make. I take 340 Weatherby brass and put 25 grains of Unique in, fill the case to the neck with cornmeal and plug the case with toiletpaper. Bang and its made.
The other is a 360 Imperial. With that one i use Norma 404J brass. I neck it down and set the shoulder, fill it up the same as the other and fireform. The i load up a mild load with a bullet and finish fireforming.
The G&H will do 2850fps with a 250 Nosler Partion. The 360 Imperial will 3100fps with the same bullet. Both are great rounds that will take care of anything on our continent. tu2

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I was going to throw in the 350 G&H too.
I have never owned one, but I do have some ammo and it is a great looking cartridge proportionally.
Another one to consider is the 350 Rigby magnum although its not based on the H&H case.

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
My .358x404 IMP will push a 250 grain bullet out at 3100 fps; maybe more? A home brewed muzzle brake was necessary to tame it a little. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Express Rifle

just how many 35 cal bullets do you need??

200 horn or 225 sierra for plinking

225 XXX for most hunting

280 swift for brown bear

works for me!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont forget Nosler Accubond 225 grain , high bc in it, very flatshooting,

And Woodleigh 225, 250, 310 RN soft and solid , and 225, 250 and 275 Protected point.

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Express Rifle

just how many 35 cal bullets do you need??

200 horn or 225 sierra for plinking

225 XXX for most hunting

280 swift for brown bear

works for me!!

Very true, not many needed.

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
These will add about 200 fps to anything the 358 Norma can do.

Years ago I had a 358Norma I rechambered to 358STA when if first came out. I saw about half of your 200fps forcast. Same 24" barrel.

Sold it and went back to a mannlicher 358Norma.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see, lack of 35 cal bullets.... So bullets from Norma, Sierra, Nosler, Barnes , Hornady, Woodleigh, Swift, Hawk, North Fork, Speer,Remington, Lost River and RWS, among others, aren't enough?

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
These will add about 200 fps to anything the 358 Norma can do.

Years ago I had a 358Norma I rechambered to 358STA when if first came out. I saw about half of your 200fps forcast. Same 24" barrel.

Sold it and went back to a mannlicher 358Norma.

Interesting. My load for my 358 NM chrony's at 2780 average with a 250 Speer and 24" barrel. I still left some horsepower on the table. That load was just darn accurate in my rifle.

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My load for my 358 NM chrony's at 2780 average with a 250 Speer and 24" barrel

I was right at 2800 with a 250Part and a 24" and no sign of pressure. In the STA I was just over 2900 but had very flat primers. Of course this is only one data point. With 225s the difference was even less.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot two .358 STA's for several years. Bullet selection is not a problem, you can pick from 185 grain up to 310 grains. My most accurate bullet is the North Fork and they come in 225, 250 and 270 grains. That selection alone would suit my purposes. I have shot a 270 grain North Fork and 280 grain Swift A-Frame 3000 fps plus. I can get more speed with the lighter bullets. One of my barrels is faster than the other by 50 to 100 fps per load. You can buy the brass with the correct headstamp if you look for it. The STA is awesome in my opinion. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have shot a 270 grain North Fork and 280 grain Swift A-Frame 3000 fps plus

Eeker That is around 100+ over most posted loads for a 250 in a 26". I'm too lazy to go look for Layne's original write up on the STA. In my testing of the STA and STW I always found him a touch optimistic. What is your barrel length. JUst curious because looking after the fact my 24" actuals matched QL real darn close.

Using a 26" QL says you are in the 74,000 range to move a 280 Swift to 3000.

Hey if it works what the heck.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of my barrels are 26" and each has a Muzzle Brake. One is a Winchester from their Custom Shop and the other is a Custom also with a Lilja barrel. The Lilja will give the faster speeds on every load. Try RL-22 powder with the Federal 215M primers, it is my magic powder. I have read everyting written about the STA including Layne Simpsons original article, with tweaking I beat them all with no problem. With the North Fork bullets my rifles are real killers of game, when I do my part. Both are super accurate. My son killed a 5X5 Bull Elk at 125 yards, with a 270 grain North Fork. The bullet then traveled another 25 yards and killed a Cow, hitting her in the head. We dug the bullet out of the scull on the opposite side of where she was hit. The bullet still had 91% of it's original weight. Yes, he was tagged for two Elk that year. Good shooting.

phurley

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try RL-22 powder with the Federal 215M primers

I was using MRP pretty much the same thing.

I'll leave the STA to you. My little Mannlicher sends factory 250s downstream at 2750 from a 20" barrel. Don't see any reason I need to hit anything harder than that. If I do I'll go to my 380 or 400.

Glad it worked out for you.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
My 35 magnum wildcat idea is just a simple neck up of the 338 Lapua to 35.
At long range you don't need 4 down.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boomstick ----- I think the Lapua necked up to .358 would be a tremendous round. My son and grandson and I have shot the .338 Lapua for years and have great respect for the case. It would provide another 8 grains or so of powder compacity over the STA, which is quite a lot. The question becomes, how much additional benefit is all that powder gain over and above an already substantial performing cartridge. Thanks for the idea, something to ponder. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
Boomstick ----- I think the Lapua necked up to .358 would be a tremendous round. My son and grandson and I have shot the .338 Lapua for years and have great respect for the case. It would provide another 8 grains or so of powder compacity over the STA, which is quite a lot. The question becomes, how much additional benefit is all that powder gain over and above an already substantial performing cartridge. Thanks for the idea, something to ponder. Good shooting.

Good question! tu2 Even though I designed and built the .358 X .404, IMP. I can not give you an honest answer to that question . Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote