THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    The 7.62x39 bench gun is no more, I give you .30PPC Largo

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 7.62x39 bench gun is no more, I give you .30PPC Largo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since building the now famous 7.62x39mm bolt gun I feel I've managed to prove my point about this cartridges accuracy potential. Leaving me to pursue bigger and better things.

I was looking for a chambering that would give me more velocity[SIZE="1"] ( read case capacity)[/SIZE] to reduce my time in flight on 300m targets without resorting to overkill with the ever present and frankly quite boring 308win. Oddly enough there are NO cartridges in between 30-30 which was too small to clean up my chamber and 300sav which is really no different than 308. So what I ended up doing was something I never thought I'd do. I resorted to wildcatting.

Here's what I did. I took a 6mmPPC reamer and fitted a .300 pilot and then ran it into the x39 chamber far enough to clean up the original shoulder and remove just about all the case taper. Then being a Savage [SIZE="1"](thank you)[/SIZE] I simply ran the barrel in against a 7.62x39 GO gauge and set the BBL nut for a slight short chamber that facilitates that crush fit of the neck shoulder junction needed for "improved" rounds to fireform factory ammo. In this case the shoulder ended up being farther forward than the other PPC's hence the "Largo" denomination.

While not a huge increase I gained appx 5% more case capacity that's good for 2.5 more grs of H335. But I'm hoping the biggest improvement will come from a much more stable brass shape and a more pronounced shoulder.

Left RP 7.62x39mm, Right fireformed .30PPC Largo

Surprisingly I lost no accuracy when firing conventional x39 factory and handloads. I fireformed over 40 rds today and had NO misfires with 20 factory rds and only one with handloads using rather short to the shoulder virgin remington brass that fired on the second strike. The best thing is that my Lee 7.62x39mm collet die will still work with this new round.

So waddya think?

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would certainly take the curve out of an AK47 magazine. It will be interesting to see if you derive any perceptible improvement in performance. Keep us posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if you have heard about it, but Tom Gray of Cast Bullet Assn. fame, shoots 190-200gr GC cast bullets in a similiar case. About 23oofps IIRC, and 1/4th-3/8ths groups at 100 yds. I missed the post about the rifle, could you summarize it for me please?

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rifle is built around a stevens200 using a 26" shilen bull barrel with a 1/15" twist and a .308 bore

In 7.62x39 configuration it would shoot in the .3's with a good degree of consistency and grouped well out to 300m. Using AA1680 or N120 I could get 100-110grn bullets beyond 2800fps within published data and 125 grainers above 2700

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Great shooting!
your round made me think of this new 30 rem ar round

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yer 40 years late Boomie! Frank Barnes did it in the mid-sixties; and called it the 308x1.5" AKA the 30BR that OWNS! all the Varmint for Score BR records. Father of the 6mm and 7mm BR. Remington actually made a batch in their 40X's in the late 1960's/70's.

Rich
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Rich... the 30 rem AR is a .500" casehead so it is a larger capacity (44 grains) You could make it a 470 rim by using 284 brass or make it a rimmed round using 475 maximum brass or 338 marlin express brass.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
yer 40 years late Boomie! Frank Barnes did it in the mid-sixties; and called it the 308x1.5" RichQUOTE]

popcornThe Barnes' .308 X 1.5 was based on the .308 and 30-06 cases. coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30 PPC, both long and short versions, are nothing new. This is the foundation of the Grendel. Back in the late 80's and early 90's 2 local BR shooters ran the 6PPC reamer in .050" deep, and using the old Sako Russian brass, kicked nearly everybody's rear ends. It's still good to see someone experimenting though.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote