Find
Notify
Tools

400 swift
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted

anyone rebarrel a 220 swift to a 400 swift???

kinda like a bolt action 444 or 45-70 good for hog stalking on a light rig say under 6 lbs with a aimpoint sight

that rim would make for easy fire forming...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Well............
And this is better than the .405 Winchester, because......????

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
Well............
And this is better than the .405 Winchester, because......????

Probably, because hardly anyone else has one... like 90% of wildcats Roll Eyes

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomie,

we need to get you a paper route so you have something to do with all this excess energy...

beer

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

actualy it will have the same performance and better than the 405 win...here is why, higher preasure case in a bolt action you can run up to 60,000 psi what you lose in case length you make up in getting the bullet out of the case

the performance goal would be 400@ 1900 and pistol bullets plenty fast.

there are bolt actions already using the 220 swift...

the rim of the 405 is not standard and big and the 220 has a standard .473 boltface

you could use rifle bullets in the 220 and keep it in a short action

take a 220 with an eroded throat, rebarrel and chamber...

the goal of this would be a bolt action big bore hog gun kinda like the 450 blazer.

cheap brass, no headspace issues and not for d.g. just hogs and deer ect in a light weight stalking rig.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/hunt.htm

same thing different brass

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

there are bolt actions already using the 220 swift...

the rim of the 405 is not standard and big and the 220 has a standard .473 boltface

the goal of this would be a bolt action big bore hog gun kinda like the 450 blazer.
cheap brass, no headspace issues and not for d.g. just hogs and deer ect in a light weight stalking rig.

Boom, in a boltrifle with a standard .473 boltface, the rim would not matter, as it is far away from the barrel-end, and would not controle head-space.
So a regular .308 opened up to .411 would be way much better with a regular shoulder, or the .240 Wea'by with the belt.

See? wave Wink

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
hmmmmm...

the 411-240 wby will have to fill that niche i guess Big Grin

why cant it headspace off the 220 rim???

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

why cant it headspace off the 220 rim???

Well, the rifles chambered for the .220 Swift are also chambered for regular rimless cartridges like the .308Win, with no changes.

The Swift have a regular .473 rim, with a slightly smaller head, therefore called "semi-rimless" many places. Others know more about this cartridge and why it was made this way, but in a regular boltrifle, the cartridge protrudes from the barrel, being surrendered by the bolt like the Rem700 does. The rim is not close to the barrel at all, and can not be used for head-space, and therefore need a shoulder or a belt.
Boltrifles made for rimmed cartridges wich headspace on the rim, will work better with a larger rim, like the .45-70 and .405.

Comprende? Smiler

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
hmmmm...

that puts a hole in my bucket Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Yugo mauser M48 or 24/47 might work because of the safety breeching system unique to these models. The bolt nose fits snugly up against the breech end of the barrel requiring an extractor cut on the barrel.

It could be made to work providing there is enough rim to hold on to with the 220 case.

Rojelio

P.S. I still like the idea of the 240/411 case better.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
there is 27 thou. a lot more than a belt! nominaly 21 thou.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bent,

look in your "Cartridges of the World" or old reference books and find the 6mmLee-Navy from the 1890's. Neck it down to 22 caliber and you have the Swift.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Rich, I knew that - but it does not explain why a semi-rimmed cartridge was needed.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bent,

same bunch of folks that designed the 30-40Krag, the 6mm Lee was for the Navy. Just old farts, stuck in the BP era trying to adjust. It's like why do we have belts on cartridges these days...?

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm Lee Navy headspaces off the shoulder not the rimm. I know, because I shoot one.

I used to make brass by necking up the 220 Swift, but because the 6mm Lee Navy neck is longer than the 220 Swift cartridges made from the swift do not have the necks completely fill the chamber. They function well through the action however. While pressures in the 6mm Lee Navy would probably not lead to excess errosion, I finally started buying Lee Navy brass from Buffalo Arms. Their 6mm Lee Navy cases are made from 25-06 brass with the head slightly trimmed, and the groove slightly deepened to leave a semi-rimmed case. It is then necked down and shortened.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
The .236 Navy was not a semi-rimmed case; it was rimless. For whatever reason, Winchester (I think it was) chose to neck this case down for .224 bullets and increased the rim diameter to match the standard -06 diameter.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asdf:
The .236 Navy was not a semi-rimmed case; it was rimless. For whatever reason, Winchester (I think it was) chose to neck this case down for .224 bullets and increased the rim diameter to match the standard -06 diameter.

Ooops. You are correct.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Barstooler, do you get good case life with those reformed cases? I hadn't noticed that B.A. was making Navy brass. I've been tempted to turn a 7mm rolling block into a .236, the original .236 RBs being more than slightly rare.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I am. I really load low pressure I don't want to overload the old straight pull, but most of the brass has 7-8 reloads and showing no pressure signs.

Original loading data is from a 1960s version of Cartridges of the World and I also keep charges low not knowing the difference in powder energy betwen then and now.

It really likes the 105 gr spitzers, given the quick twist rate on the old 6mms. Never measured it to see what it really was, but when you look down the muzzel it looks like a cork screw compared to any other rifle I own. Has to be at least 1-9.

A rolling block would be fun in this caliber.

Barstooler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW. The B.A. 6mm Lee Navy cases (at least mine) are made from Remington brass.

Barstooler

one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I necked up 20 or so 220 swifts to 416. I believe there would have been enough case taper for it to work-I did turn all the necks. It was going to be for my contender. I still may try it-who knows. For now I'll settle with my 320 Swift and my soon to be 260 Swift for my contender. Oh yeah, I already have two 416s, so I don't really need/want another one at least not now.

Rick
Diesel Power

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Now that Barnes has dropped their 115 gn RN 6mm bullets, which could have been used in the .236, one might approach the owner of Wildcat Bullets about making 112 gn RN bullets for the .236 Navy. He already offers jacketed 120 gn spitzers, so he is drawing 6mm jackets more than long enough. He'd only need an RN nose die to do the job.