New
Find
Notify
Tools

data on the 350 ultra mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think Bryce towesly made a 350 ultra mag.
Does any one have any load data on this?

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for general performance data, look at similar-weight 375RUM loads and subtract maybe 50fps. I have a 358-404 I had built that should run right with a 350 Ultra, and I get an easy 2850 with 280g A-Frames. I've gone well into the 2900's but one of the reasons I made this round instead of getting an STA was to maintain lower pressures. 26" bbl.
You can make 250's break 3k, and 225's even faster, but there aren't really any high-BC .358's so I think of this round as more of a monster-thumper than a whiz-banger.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PRDATOR,
You need to find the following magazine:
2002 Rifleman Magazine for its article on the 358UMT. If you locate one can I get a scanned copy?? My interest has definately been raised by the fast 35s. I'm heading down the road of a 358Norma ... but a 35/338RUM is very tempting.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you're refering to the 358 Ultra Mag Towsley. Made from a 300 Remington Ultra MAg parent case. Same body taper, 30 degree shoulder and headspacing datum line. See Cartridges of the World, 10th ed, page 200.

One of Us
Picture of hoeram
posted Hide Post
Prdator

I shoot 2 358 Ultra mags both in 40 degree Imp. If that data is what your looking for send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Hoeram Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Member
USAF Ret.

Posts: 166 | Location: Fruitland , WA. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find some data for the 358 Imperial Canadian Magnum, which is basically what a 35-300 RUM is. I believe Nick Harvey had this in his reloading book if memory serves. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PRDATOR:
I think Bryce towesly made a 350 ultra mag.
Does any one have any load data on this?

If you send me an E-Mail I'll send you all the info I have . It is in Excel format. But you can open it in Word beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I've sent you an email. I'm still probably more interested in a 358Norma, but then again .... Big Grin
Cheers...
Con

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
same bullet weight, you could, with caution, use 338 rum data

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Roger,
I've sent you an email. I'm still probably more interested in a 358Norma, but then again .... Big Grin
Cheers...
Con
wave

Answered E-Mail. Con, The .358 Norma may not move a bullet out as fast as a .358RUM but it is far more than Adequate to take down any game up to and including large brown bears and than some. The only reason I designed and built the .358X404 IMP was on a whim. I just wanted to hit the 5000 ft.lb. level, which it did. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger,
Idea behing the 35RUM was just "to get 3000fps from a 250gr". Your data shows that can certainly be achieved ... but I think I'll just do the 358Norma for now.
Cheers...
Con