Find
Notify
Tools

7mm WSSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Here's my idea. Looks cool, but does my velocity guess sound close?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 7/300 WSM with 180 Bergers runs like a champ
(well almost, I choked on the last day of the F Class Natl's) without breaking a sweat @2975 W/H4831sc. 3050 started to blow primer pockets. 30" tube.
A 7SAUM is a more efficient round. Same vels, less powder, groups are just as good.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Could you achieve better velocity with Reloder 22 or 25? I'm stuck between a 7mm WSM or a very fast 6mm for my next barrel. How long does a 7mm WSM last?

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler:
The double base powders eat barrels at a higher rate. I've always avoided them.
Barrel life was not good. First tube was an honest .375 gun, lasted all of 800 rounds.
Second was a .420 gun, went 1100.

The wssm brass is aufull to work with. It is nothing more than short wsm stuff, leaving very thick necks to work with.

FWIW, I've gone to an improved 284 on Lapua brass. Blown out to .485 like a Shehane, but with a 40 degree shoulder. Less powder, better barrel life and 2930 velocity with 180's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6,5x243WSSM thats shooting 140grs Bergers at 3030fps....goups about .2-.25 5shot at 100 meters.
Just started to do a .30-243WSSM.
YES, necks are realy fat

Best
2RECON

Posts: 140 | Location: GERMANY | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

If you've formed one of these cases - I don't think you're going to find 60g of H20 capacity, probably closer to 54-55.

57.0g is the most I can get out of the 25 WSSM case necked up to .358.

I'm making another run of brass this weeked for some customers, I can't say that I've ever checked case capacity at the 7mm mark, but it wouldn't be difficult to do.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I was just estimating from ammoguide's capacity, sometimes their info is off.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Tyler...
I have thought about the merrits of the 7wssm but it seems the best 7mm is the ol' 284 with modern powders.
http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Tyler...
I have thought about the merrits of the 7wssm but it seems the best 7mm is the ol' 284 with modern powders.

popcornClose but not quite.The .280 with its greater capacity out shines the .284 when hand loaded ,especially with the heavier bullets. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was gonna say all that trouble to duplicate a 7x57 ackley or a 280/284 type case volumn?
maybe just shorten the 284 case some.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote