New
Find
Notify
Tools

270/08 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious if anyone here is or has run/ran a 270/08?

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its in PO ackley's handbooks

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That I know, am wondering if anyone has actually worked with one.

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Built a pair for two brothers back in the early 90's they shot them for a couple of years and liked the cartridge. Problem was they used 700 LA and had some feeding problems due to the cartridge moving around under recoil- they felt the short action was too short and thought by seating the bullets just to the base of the neck it would give better performance. I thought it defeated the purpose of using the 08 case to use the LA.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx Duane,

yeah doing it in a long action would make no sense what soever!

so do you have the reamer yet?

Mark D

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, had Dan Green regrind it to a 6.5/08 and then sold it.
I always intended to build one, but sometimes the best of plans---
I did some drawings for a 277 DGR and then decided against the investment.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Duane,
Bulit a few 270/08s AND 1 270/08 AI in Hawai`i. VERY interesting in that I was able to easily meet or beat a [std] 270 Win. in a shorter [22 1/2"] barrel. I used Rem 700 SAs and standard 700 270 barrels shortened and re-threaded as they were cheap and available. I have all the velocity/accuracy load work up here if you want. It might surprise you at how well they shoot. I still have the reamers,dies and also one of the rifles left. I don`t remember if it is the AI or the standard.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Duane! Should have addressed the above to Mark! Apologies.
Aloha, Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know if I follow thru with it, I have the action and the barrel coming and my smith has the reamer.

I'm pretty sure I can come within 100-150 fps of the standard 270 but I'd think that'd be about it.

However it sounds like you were right with it. Can you let me know what one or two of your fav loads are?

Thx
Mark D

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Yep I've got one. I use it at the range and sometimes in the paddock on roos and pigs.
Its a Sako action ( I brought a 308 for the project ) a SS Tobler barrel under a S&B PM II 3-12x56.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to compare the work of Mr. Titus, Bliss Titus as I recall. He necked the .300 Savage to .27 before WW II and according to Mr. Ackley in his books, equalled the .270 WCF with the powders available before WW II. And in the 99 lever action. .270 Titus I think. Supposedly the government examined carefully the .300 Savage and finding it a bit short of neck developed the .308, excuse me, 7.62x51mm NATO... Happy New Year. Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In South Africa I think its called a 270 Sabi.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Mark,

This shows 2001, but I remember reading same/similar article in a GUNS article many years before IIRC and know it's in my garage...

Charles Petty,

http://findarticles.com/p/arti...is_10_47/ai_78130022

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
270 Redding = 270-08 (30 deg shoulder)

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Davit_M
posted Hide Post
Looks like a real efficient cartridge! Wouldn't mind having on in the Ackley version.

Dave

Posts: 146 | Location: Montana - Big Sky Country | Registered: 04 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and Redding already makes the dies for the 270 Redding! clap

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 270/08 is built on a 700 Ti with a 22" Shilen barrel. Having had it for only a month I'm still breaking the barrel in and looking for starting loads to try.
So far initial results seem promising with groups slightly under or near an inch.

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your twist rate kevan?

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob from down under:
What is your twist rate kevan?

I'm honestly not certain just what the twist is but I can find out from the chap who re-barreled it for me. If there is a standard or common twist for the 270, I'd guess thats what it is.

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1:10 is the rate on my barrel.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevan you have a pm

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
going to pic up the rifle tonight if any one has any load info let me know.

For starters I tried 130's and R19 and used 260 data to work off of and the 125 Nozler in it.

Also, I used Varget and a 110 Horn.

Thx
Mark D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dober,

I suppose the same theories apply as they do to the 7mm-08?

Probably means 110gr or so in a TSX? Barnes
bullets hit "harder" than standard bullets
they say? 7mm-08 fans use the 120 gr TSX?

Keep us posted. thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Dober,

I love to see a photo of the new rifle, if you have some. Looking forward to a review as well.

Thx, Bt

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Did you get the loading info I sent out awhile back?
Aloha, Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do a 270/308 when you can get a factory 260 or a factory 7mm/08???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Why bother when a 7mm-08 will perform just as well or better W/the advantage of vastly more bullet choices?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've made some and the owners seemed to like them. Why make one instead of a 7mm/08? Because you want to! The last one I did was done because the factory 260 barrel sucked and needed replacing anyway. The 308 case works well in any caliber and 270 is no exception. A very practical, if unnecessary, wildcat. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I've made some and the owners seemed to like them. Why make one instead of a 7mm/08? Because you want to! The last one I did was done because the factory 260 barrel sucked and needed replacing anyway. The 308 case works well in any caliber and 270 is no exception. A very practical, if unnecessary, wildcat. Regards, Bill

My 270/08 is one of many great pleasures in my life. I really enjoy using it.
Making one up and developing loads for it was really satisfying.
I always thought that is what wildcats are about
When I did it there was not much info on loads about on the US forums.
I got the most info from RSA where the 270/08 is called the 270 Sabi.
The 270 Sabi is well regarded for doing the job on thin skinned animals without damaging the meat too much.
my 270/08 works well on Roo's and pigs with 150 gn Speer and Barnes bullets.
I am thinking about trying some G&S custom bullets when I get some spare time.
I think there is enough options in bullets for the 270/08.
For me there is just not enough time to spend developing loads.
Damm work.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:
Mark,

This shows 2001, but I remember reading same/similar article in a GUNS article many years before IIRC and know it's in my garage...

Charles Petty,

Hey Mark,
Thanks for the link that was god reading.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Mark,

Charles Petty,

Hey 6BR,

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mark,

Charles Petty,

Hey 6.5BR,

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mark,

Charles Petty,

Hey 6.5BR,
Thanks for the link that was good reading.

Regards,
Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:

And there you have it from the gentleman who built mine !...actually I think thats mine he mentions.
In my opinion the 270/08 is a darn fine chambering and made a tack-driver out of an otherwise so-so rifle. It shoots so well in fact that I sold both my 7/08s without regret.
Thanks Bill !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

When I get home tonight, I will send you some of my load data. I know we have discussed it some before. Mine is a Model 7 with 22" lilja barrel. Shoots great little bug hole groups with everything. I have been shooting the 110 grain TSXs and Accubonds lately just to be different but I have a go to 130 grain Balistic Tip load. I bought a box of 85 grain tsx's but have not tried them out yet.

How long is the neck on yours. I got mine from an estate so I don't know who built it (wish that I did) I have to back my RCBS dies off quite a bit to get the shoulder in the right place. Mine seems to be built to the same neck as a 7-08 or 243. I usually use 243 brass because I have lots of it and I run it through the die and it is ready to go. If I ran my die all the way to the shell holder, the case has a very long neck.

I was getting pretty close to 270 velocities with the previous owners reloads and then on a hot day the cases were getting pretty sticky so I backed off to what I felt comfortable with. I think I am running the 110s at about 3100 or a little more with no problems. 130s are around 2900. I love it.

Greg

Posts: 43 | Location: Fort Smith, AR | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a 270 Redding on a Kimber Montana rebarrelled with a Pac-Nor barrel duplicating the original barrel?

Stock refinished by CAS II in Olive green with white and black webbing.