THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Lengthening the .30 remington.......? Now PICS!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthening the .30 remington.......? Now PICS!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted
heh.
I was actually on the can when I started thinking about this. So then I thought it had to become a crappy cartridge. But what the hell.

Take factory 9,3x72R,(Same dimentions as in the rear as the .30-30 or .30 rem.) turn off rim and make new extractor groove. Neck to whatever desired, from an including 6mm to and including 8mm. Shoulder dia is about .390", so I think .338 leaves to small a shoulder for good looks, but it should work.
They should hold about 60 grs of powder, and increase magazine capasity with two or three. So .30-06 class cartridges, 6 or 7+1 in a rem700.
yea, I would have to fill in the boltface, an install a sako extractor, but that is easy.

So i run to the shelf, pops out my ONLY 9,3x72R - and ruins the wole case by necking down to 7 in one step. It was SO stupid and I was as pissed as ever. Wildcatting for 20 years, and then doing that.
Yup, crappy cartridge...

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
And there we are!
Our good friend 2RECON from Germany sent me some new cases! Thanks, man!

.300 FGC(from 9,3x74), our new baby, .30-06 and the shorter baby.

I made a 30-06 sized too, that one holds about as mutch powder as the 308 win.

Heh! Smiler

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornKinda looks like a de-rimed,blown out 7X72Rmm.Last loaded ammo RWS early "60s". Rather sleek appearance; the 7x72 and yours thumb
I'd like to have your design necked to .224, rim on, in a single shot with load pressures below 48000 psig.(Whish list) beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Yea, well, the 7x72R is just the 9,3x72R necked to 7mm, so they kind of had to look related.
Theese cases have quite a lot of taper, shoulder can be blown out for a bigger boiler-room.
I think they are qute, but my main thought for going this way is more cartriges in the magazine.
Blown out shoulder, necked to 8mm, it would be a good cartrige for pigs, as one often tend to find the magazine empty and pigs everywere.

I'll make up one in .22 and leave the rim just for you!
It will not work magics, but be nice to toss at the feet of the WSM generation! Wink

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bent,

hope i can send the others mayby next week.

Do you have the "fat ones" in your collection ?

Best
2RECON

Posts: 140 | Location: GERMANY | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
I'll make up one in .22 and leave the rim just for you!
It will not work magics, but be nice to toss at the feet of the WSM generation! Wink

Smiler popcornYou da man , Bent. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What are your thoughts on a 2.65" version to get closer to the 06 capacity with more carts down? In a 2.1" case you would have a 300 Savage capacity right?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bent: I think it is bloody elegant.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Bill: Thanks!

Funny things about reallity.
I dumped in some poders, and it tells the tale.
The longer 2,8" holds about 50 grs of powder up to neck, and the shoter 2,5" holds about 45grs.
So the short one holds the promised .308 Win level, but the longer is reduced to the x57 class cartridges.
So the 8x70 Rimless equals the 8x57 IS.
Witch is not bad at all, and with 7+1 still good medicine against them pigs.
Blowing out the shoulder for minimum taper and a shorter neck would bring them closer to the 06 family, butnot all the way.

It has been fun, but I have no plans to make any guns for theese babies.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornsuper crapper thought exchange. Great style. claproger beer