New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Taylor - dimensional data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for the dimensional data of the 416 Taylor as marketed by A-Square . Four different sources report four different data, and I don't know what are is length of the body

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pivi, have a look HERE, it also has some links to older threads about the 416 Taylor & its dimensions. These should either answer your questions or confuse the hell out of you in which case join the club. Wink
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pivi, go to the AR main page. Then go to the links to other reloading sites. There you will find the 416 Taylor page. It has specs.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well , I read the other suggested threads and I realized that there are several variations of the 416 Taylor . For example , A-Square specifications don't match those of some reamers used for custom rifles . There are considerable variations in body and neck lengths .I will make my sample according the A-Square drawings

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pivi,
A thread here a few weeks back stated that Norma had standardised the 416Taylor as CZ would be chambering for it. From memory PTG was somehow involved. Search for PTG reamers and email them and they'll send you a specification drawing.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Goto 416 Taylor
http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/ for one drawing...Steves pages has a drawing, http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm.

I used a Midway barrel to build my 416 Taylor and Hornady has "cheap" dies...I like it, it does it's job, almost the velo of a 416 Rem with less powder...the animals don't know any difference when they get hit.

But in todays world I would go with the 416 Ruger...there is only one set of dimensions to bother with, rental reamers are available, as are dies, no futzing around making brass even though it is as simple as resizing a 416 Rem Mag case and trimming and there is factory ammo available and the Ruger fits the same actions as needed for a Taylor.

I keep thinking of rechambering my Taylor to 416 Ruger but there isn't any real need now that I have all the "stuff" already setup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made an "experimental" 416 Taylor sample necking down a 458 WM case using a 416 Weatherby die and a lengthened , self - made ,shell holder .Shoulder is perfect but body length is too short comparing it with the suggested drawings . It measures 1.97" .
I think I will buy a fireformed case or cartridge....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting aside to this business of 416Taylor dimensions, A2d is 'sposed to have SAAMId (or not) their version of this cartridge with what would equate to a 416/338Win dimension but the example I have in my collection from A2d has a 2.12 shoulder to base length as near as I can measure, definitly way too long for the version they're supposed to have SAAMId, go figure. :rolleyes To be fair, this example would have to be at least 15 yrs old.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
with the advent of the 416 ruger, it is my opinion that, except for the rigby, all other 416s are obviated, including my own, and REALLY good, 416 AccRel -- not to say replaced, but a new rifle choice for caliber, starting with "i want a 416" would have 3 choices, in a practical sense, going forward

rigby
ruger
bigger

i expect quite a few taylors will get rechambered to ruger... it just makes perfect sense

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote