New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican 7.62x39 PPC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You've heard of "mexican match" ammunition well I would like to run by my Idea for a mexican PPC.

I have a shilen barreled savage already chambered for 7.62x39 that I've prooven my point with that I now want to wildcat on.

My idea is to simply fit a .300" pilot bushing onto a 6mmppc reamer and run it into the chamber just enough to clean up the existing shoulder and eliminate most of the case body taper. Install the bbl to be .003" under a go gauge to facilitate firing of factory brass and neck size with a collet die from then on out.

anyone see any hangups with this plan? I'm figuring on gaining about 4 grns more case capacity and getting a much more stable and quite frankly cooler lookin case form......and don't act like that doesn't matter Big Grin

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i wold leave it 7.62x39 -- though i really want a 7.62x39 LIGHT bolt rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i wold leave it 7.62x39 -- though i really want a 7.62x39 LIGHT bolt rifle

there's nothing light about this rifle, it has a 26" bull barrel and a bunch of lead added to the stock

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
PPC it is, then!
heh.. i want a 5LB 7.62x39
!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I personally like the idea of a .30 PPC, meanwhile I struggle along with this little gem.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krochus, there has been an ongoing test/debate, over on br.com, about the 30 PPC. Jackie Schmidt has been testing and reporting. It might be helpful to do a search and find that thread. Eddie.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the old supply of 220 Russian cases dried up we use 7.62x39 cases to make 6ppc those old cases had the small primer pockets other had the LR. All that end with the new 220 Laupa case.

I had pacific make me a 7.62x39 30 cal reamer. this was before the 30Br BIB was just starting to make 112/118gr bullets. I had that rifle build on a Rem 700 action use 30 cal 1/17 twist barrel. It was a fun rifle to shoot but I lost interest real quick after couple hundred rds. I keep looking back at that rifle thinking I just had too much time on my hands. I got my best groups with those small primer pocket cases the large were OK.

I had some of that old Rem BR brass with the small primer pockets I got to think about using those case that when I decided to time to change calibers.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

about that time I went to the Super Shoot with Russ Hayden. Guys were so desperate for PPC brass, that they would shoot the primer pockets loose. Then load them one more time and hold the primer in the pocket with their thumb while sticking it in the chamber, I had bought a 6PPC from Fred Sinclair, and he sold me 500 new cases. I had guys like Tony Boyer and Alan Hall offering me all sorts of $$$ for 50. There were even a number of guys sizing 220 Swift brass down and using a bolt with a 308 boltface. I always wanted to get a 30PPC and see how much difference the primer pocket size made with heavy cast bullets.

Rich
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote