Tools

357 straight wall on 30 30 case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The Maximum is a bit over 1.6" 1.605"
The 25-35 is over 2.04ish
Usable case capacity would be increased by about 25 to 30% with length and fatter case. If the goal is to use 30-30 cases or parent case this could be good and you could make it the same length as the 35 Maximum length without a shoulder or as long as 2.04". You could run a 25-35 reamer in your 357 maximum chamber and trim to 35 maximum length.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went down to CH4D last tuesday and ordered dies to resize the 356 win case. Will be about 6 months before I get them. Now I need to get hold of Dave Manson to get a reamer made.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
I have a 94 Winchester that was originally a 32 special that PO Ackley rebored to 35 and chambered it for 35-30. Nice little round and is about like a 35 Remington. There is almost no shoulder on this case.

I always thought a .35-30 would make a dandy Contender cartridge.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Not sure I understand how reaming an off-centre chamber to a larger size will solve the problem. This is a lathe boring job. No reamer required. Even then it will take quite some doing to set up the bore concentrically.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hows about the 38-56? A fine round made from readily available 45-70 brass. Maybe even the improved version.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug
If I could use a cartridge with a shoulder I would have went with the 356/358 winchester.

I will have to see if I can get the drawing I got from Manson posted. I should be getting the reamer before too long.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got the reamer last Wed. Now I just need to get the dies.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Please post some photos once you get cases made.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the dies today so I made up a dummy so you can see what it will be. On the left is a standard 356 win and the right is the 357 Rad Mag.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
38-55 as a donor?

I have the H&R Target in 38-55 and it is a hoot to shoot. 255 grains loaded to 1800 fps....Buffalo Bore has them up to 1950. Shot my first boar with a 38-55 in 1894 Winchester. It performs far better than the ballistics will ever show. Blk Bears hate this thing.

With modern rifles this is almost the same as a wildcat. I cannot imagine my old 1894 Winchester shooting those Buffalo Bores. I might have a load to drive a 250 over 2000 fps....that will be a good 400 yard blacktail load.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HerrMesser:
I got the dies today so I made up a dummy so you can see what it will be. On the left is a standard 356 win and the right is the 357 Rad Mag.

Rad

I like it.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
What are expected velocities?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hoping to get a little better than 35 rem. Should be in the 2000+ fps from a 15" barrel.

The main thing I looking for is a good group at 100 yds and maybe m.o.d. 200 yds.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I love the wildcats and have a cpl of my own so I know why? BUT I can get 2000 from a 38-55 with 250-255 of lead in a modern action such as an H&R or Marlin......so the Winchester Big Bore should be the same as well?

It just seems like a lot of money for the reduced inches from 375 to 356

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Is there a belted case you could have trimmed and used ?

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably could have made the 240 wby work. I would have cut it to 2" if I had used it. But the cost would have been prohibitive though.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the capacity of one of the cases and ended up with 50 gr of H2O. I am going to try to start with some H322 powder and was wondering if someone that has Quick Load could give an idea of a starting load.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got it to range today. I am using a Hornaday 158 gr HP XTP bullet over 36 gr of IMR3031. The one flyer I knew when I did it as the wing blew my target. This was shot at 50 yds and has 7 shots.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things are starting to look up with this once POS barrel as I couldn't even get this good of a group at 15 yards. Supposed to be a little cooler the first of the week so I will got back to range again to try some longer yardage.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking cartridge, this thread was an interesting read. One question that popped into my head....any idea what their reasoning is for the straight wall requirement? I realize we're talking about politicians here and no common sense is required to create a law but I am curious as to why.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Stupidity.
Politicians know nothing about cartridges, powder, bullets, guns, fortitude of chosing critical thinking over bleeding hearts ect.

One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
When this whole thing started I wondered why not just shoot a 45-70 or a 38-55.
Since it's done...I think it's pretty cool.
Looks like it's grouping good, any ideas on velocity?
Thanks for staying with it!!!
That's what this forum is all about.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't have chrono when I fired that group and I just got one and need to get to the range.

I don't know just how much politicians have to do with our DNR but we may have too many of them from the big "anti" cities on the board.

All other loads that I have tried so far have opened up. I think I need to revisit that one and get the chrono set up with it.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member