New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 Belted!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So, take the 300 Win mag, cut it to 2.170", give it a .260" neck, 25* shoulder, blow the shoulder out to .4952" and BAM!
Load it out to 3.105" or so (which puts a 140g just under the shoulder) and you get more than the 6.5 Norma and less than the 264 Winchester. Or put another way, 6.5 Norma performance at less than hot-rod temps and commensurate barrel life.
Myself, I think it's a damn good idea. Too bad Remington thought of it before Winchester, and put it in that tiny little 2.8" action.... shame

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5mmRm has always apealed to me,it just never got the career it deserved much like the .284win, but heck the 6.5/284Norma seems to be getting all the attention they missed out on. The idea of a 6.5mmRm Ti700SA with 3"box and thin 26"tube rather appeals to me. RiflesInc. builds them in 6.5Norma and they come out at 4lb10oz (bare).

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BB,
you may just have reinvented the 6.5 rem mag (like woodjack says) or slightly longer

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, that was my point. Throat the 6.5 Rem like the Norma and you get another .010+" at the base and no rebate, plus lots of brass everywhere. It would shoot faster than the Norma, or (I prefer) same as Norma at lower pressures.
A M70 would suit jsut fine.
(Anyone notice Winchester is chambering the Swede in their LA now? Used to be SA, no?)

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
BB,
you may just have reinvented the 6.5 rem mag (like woodjack says) or slightly longer

jeffe

No "MAY" about it-you have just re-invented the 6.5mm Remington Magnum. A better round would be the .270 WSM necked down to fire 6.5mm bullets-it has no belt! Belts are merely useless appendages, like schabels on the forend tips........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how my message got missed twice! Of COURSE there's no "may" about it! Hence, "too bad Remington thought of it first!"
Let me start over:
"Hey, guys, anyone ever think how much better the 6.5 Rem would perform if it were throated like the 6.5-284, to handle 3.1" rounds?"
The WSM case (and 264 Win) by many reckonings is a bit bigger than necessary for the "idea' 139g/3150-ish that does so well at long range, not to mention the fact that the WSM cases have a sketchy future at best. The H&H case will be here as long as there are primers, and there is no special feeding issue with the 6.5 Rem as there is with the WSM's and 284 cases. All a M70 6.5 Rem needs is a throat reamer, and all of a sudden you have 6.5-06 performance in a .5" shorter package (M70 talking here) and 6.5 Norma without the rebate.
Yes you have that pesky belt. Not sure how we manage with that thing sticking out there like that.
I'm not suggesting someone start commercially chambering it (though I'd buy one!) but if you're looking for an easy wildcat on a mauser-sized action, this one would do anything you'd need a 6.5 to do!
;-P

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I'm just ordered my barrel for a 6.5 project in this vein.
I wanted a fast 6.5 that wasn't based off the Win, or WS Mag case.
I was originally going to go with the 6.5 SAUM but decided on the Remington 6.5 instead because the action I have is a magnum Sendero and I thought that brass supply might be better.
I'm planning on having a reamer made to give the RM case less body taper and a bumped(.04 or so) back 40 degree shoulder.
My plan is to ream my sizing die and chamber with the same reamer set, then squish the factory RM case to the shoulder I want and fireform the brass.
I'm hoping a longer neck and sharper shoulder will give my throat a slightly longer life.
I also should have the room to seat 140's in teh neck only and still feed from the magazine.
I know that this is reinventing the wheel but I kinda see it as replacing the wheel with a racing rim on good rubber.
I'm estimating the case capacity will be between an AI '06 and the Win mag case.
Have any of you seen or built a similar cartridge?

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
clapGee Bwana! what do you think of LA, Long throated ;.243, 25 souper, .260, 7-08, .308, .358. That is one good thing the .223 has going for it, the longer throat in some rifles.

Imagine if you will the LA, Long thraot on the 25 souper with a faster twist for the new 140 gr bullets? Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me, Roger. Some have already been done (IMO) and are called 257 BB, 6.5 Swede, and 7(and9)x57!
The idea of using the action's length jsut makes senise to me, assuming you'll be using long-for-caliber bullets, like in the 6.5.)
The 358's neck is at - what? 1.65" or so. That means to seat there and reach 3.1, you need about a 310g Woodleigh! Now, me being me and you being you I imagine we'd agree that it would be fun to see what that would do out of a little 20" bbl. If it broke 2k I'd call it a success, myself.
I almost picked up a k98 in 35 Rem a couple weeks ago, with the thought of lengthening the throat out to beat the Whelen with the big boys, but I hemmed and hawed too long and it was gone.
I maintain the idea is most useful with the 6.5 Rem, with the long bullets everyone loves, the cheap brass, and the very sensible case capacity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just had a vision of the .358" companion, but with a 21" bbl, full stock, ala Ruger's International. Tres chic.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I just had a vision of the .358" companion, but with a 21" bbl, full stock, ala Ruger's International. Tres chic.

Now a 338 federal OR 358 win would be MIGHTY tempting to buy in a Ruger full stock. Just what the doc ordered in those ctgs.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote