Find
Notify
Tools

338-404 Jef
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted
I was hoping for some help finding info on what has been done on the 404 Jeffery. I know it parented the RUM family.
Remington shortened it, I do not wish to do so, otherwise I would use the ultra mag brass. The general idea is a .338 neck both long and wide with a 35 deg shoulder and minimal taper to be used in a Wby Mk V origonaly in 300 Win Mag.
Thanks, Rex

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rex

There are at least a couple of long range Benchrest cartridges made from 404 Nitro brass, necked down, blown out and improved.

I don't understand what you mean by "Remington shortened it" since the 300 RUM is the same length as the 404. And the 338 RUM is only 1/10th of an inch shorter and you'll never notice the difference.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you mean you want a 3,35" oal rum case?
like this?

i didnt order the reamers for the 30s, but here are the 40s

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a 338-300 RUM also known as 338 Edge. 300 RUM brass is the same length as 404 Brass. My Remington 300 Brass is 2.851 and my RWS 404 is 2.838. The only real difference in the Edge and what you are looking at is the 30 Degree shoulder instead of 35. .023 case taper.
quote:
Originally posted by Rex Rat:
I was hoping for some help finding info on what has been done on the 404 Jeffery. I know it parented the RUM family.
Remington shortened it, I do not wish to do so, otherwise I would use the ultra mag brass. The general idea is a .338 neck both long and wide with a 35 deg shoulder and minimal taper to be used in a Wby Mk V origonaly in 300 Win Mag.
Thanks, Rex

Les

Posts: 73 | Location: LaPorte,Texas | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
Well folks I have mesured the Mk V and it will not take the length. If I realy, realy wanted to use this action how would it nead to be cut?
I would like to use the 338 Edge.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could go with the 338 Edge which is basically the 300 RUM necked up to 338. This is the full length RUM case not the shortened one used on the 338 RUM.

Performance would be identical to that of the 338 Lapua but better suited for standard magnum bolt faced rifles.

Only problem with your rifle would be if the magazine is long enough and if not, getting a replacement mag box for the Wby. Wby is not overly happy to send out parts and it can be a real challange to get parts to modify the Wby rifles.

To be brutally honest, I would sell the Wby, take that money and get a Rem 700 for this build, in the end, you would be much better off with a properly built Rem 700 over the Wby. Only so much can be done to the Wbys to get them to shoot and even then, some can be extremely finicky. This is generally not so with a properly built Rem 700 plus you can use the much longer custom mag boxes as well which are best for this type of round.

With the 338 Edge out there, I could never recommend a 338-404 Jeff because of extreme cost in dies and brass which is also hard to get. 300 RUM brass is everywhere!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Rex,I think this was some good advice you got on LRH

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
Well here is the dilemma. I bed this rifle and it is a good job structurally yet the stock suffered some. A dab will do ya. Roll Eyes And some other damages were incurred that make it a paper weight on the market. That said I love the bolt and the feel of the rifle, I fit it to my self and I just do not like the 300 Win Mag. The belts are a pain; I am OCD in my reloading so every thing has to be “X†so I am always worried about head space and case head separation. Being that this lovely little rifle is lovely to only me and I hate reloading the belt I figure I have two choices, cut the action or the bolt face. To make room for the 338 Edge the magazine has to be opened up and the action cut to except it. I could also cut the bolt face .590 and shorten a 416 case to fit the magazine and neck it to the preferred .338 or even a pumpkin chucker .375.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rex Rat:
Well here is the dilemma. I bed this rifle and it is a good job structurally yet the stock suffered some. A dab will do ya. Roll Eyes And some other damages were incurred that make it a paper weight on the market. That said I love the bolt and the feel of the rifle, I fit it to my self and I just do not like the 300 Win Mag. The belts are a pain; I am OCD in my reloading so every thing has to be “X†so I am always worried about head space and case head separation. Being that this lovely little rifle is lovely to only me and I hate reloading the belt I figure I have two choices, cut the action or the bolt face. To make room for the 338 Edge the magazine has to be opened up and the action cut to except it. I could also cut the bolt face .590 and shorten a 416 case to fit the magazine and neck it to the preferred .338 or even a pumpkin chucker .375.

You might want to give these guys a call
http://www.wyattsoutdoor.com/ and they may help you out with a custom magazine and intall it for you. Most all my custom mag rifles I have them headspace the case on the shoulders and if Redding makes a Body Die in that caliber you can send that off to JLC and he will custom fit that to your chamber and will make it into a bushing die http://www.jlcprecision.com/pages/1/index.htm

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote