THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    423 Ruger on Ruger basic - using 404 FL dies

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

423 Ruger on Ruger basic - using 404 FL dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Gentlemen

Firstly ignore ruger dimensions we are only using the brass

Just looking over the figures and measurements of the 404J, if we were to run a full length Ruger basic case into a 404J Full length die is this a possible wildcat

Ruger basic is 2.660 cylinder brass, lets keep full length for this wildcat

Ruger case at the base is .532 (but could the chamber be cut at .535???) (is .003 bigger a problem ??) 404 case is .530 at the shoulder, only .002 thou taper but if base is .535 we might get away with .005 taper

Shoulder height, length and width all at exactly the same dimensions as the 404J,

All cases simply formed with 404j dies

It will have a .200 shorter neck but with still over .400 should be more than enough to hold a .423 pill

If anybody has a ruger basic case could you run it into the 404J FL die and show us what it looks like

Now besides the fact that the wildcat will have only 5 thou taper from base to shoulder, it will still have the gentle design of the 404 shoulder angle

OK so should feed easy in any standard length magnum, is it possible ??

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
2 cents.
How about a clean slate?
Take what you like about the 404 and work within the dimensions of the brass specified?
Long neck and gently sloped shoulders?
popcorn

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I believe the CIP base specifications for the 404 Jeffery case is 0.545" with mfg'ed cases being about 0.542" in diameter.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
I believe the CIP base specifications for the 404 Jeffery case is 0.545" with mfg'ed cases being about 0.542" in diameter.

At the shoulder ???

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about this chamber for a long time. I have the Ruger necked down to 7mm , .338, & standard .375. I considered the 416 but the .423 is much more interesting. I would prefer the .375 or 416 opened to .423 w/ no other changes. I understand the limited shoulder area but it appears to be adequate to head space properly. I will be watching this thread w/ great interest. Also didn,t intend to hijack your thread & hope some of the experienced guys will post opinions & comments.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Welcome Sunshine. Gotta love it when a persons first post is to a wildcat thread tu2

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, great site. Just for your info. I was informed that Dan Pederson has chambered some of these both re bores & new barrels & has reamer & gauges available.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShortandFat:
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

At the shoulder ???
Spec is .530" at shoulder, don't have any 404 Jeffery brass/cartridges to check the actuals.

I do however have a few hundred .375 Ruger Basic Brass (do not have ready access to them right now) but I recollect .530" as being the average base diameter from a sample drawn from each box. I do not recollect the average mouth diameter...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote