New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 cal wildcat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Pre'64 Model 70 Supergrade that had been rechambered from 257 Roberts to 250 Ackley Magnum before I acquired it. I subsequently rechambered it to 257 Wtby, but the Wtby reamer did not clean up the shoulder of the old chamber. I get a .010(.005 per side)step on my fired brass.
I'd like to chamber it to something that will clean up the old Ackley chamber as well as the Wtby chamber without setting the barrel back.

I'm thinking that maybe a 264 Win necked to 257 and improved??..or the 300 Win case necked down and improved.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neck a 338 RUM down to 25 caliber.
That should be pretty easy to have your gunsmith get it to feed properly.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
funny stuff....indeed.. rotflmo

The action is too short for a RUM case...

And I'm my own gunsmith and I won't torture myself like that... Big Grin..I rechambered it to the Wtby so I can rechamber it again,...or rebarrel it. I do have another stock with the later Monte Carlo hump that's better for scope use...I can put a good pad on it and put the SG stock in the closet... and rebarrel to 308 Norma as I do have an A&B 30 cal blank here, but I don't need another 30 cal...

but I think I may have found a good Pre'64 standard 270 Win Barrel...so a 270 Wtby may be in order....seeing as my bolt face is now a magnum.....

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The answer is simple...
A 257-375 Ruger or 270-375 Ruger Smiler

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK gunsmith,

tell me how a 2.65" case won't fit in a rifle that a 375H&H will, and how you are going to clean up a chamber with a rechamber to another 2.5" case...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
tell me how a 2.65" case won't fit in a rifle that a 375H&H will,

It will fit with a little work on the mag box, bolt stop and ejector

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not the 257 STW? You'd have to change the bolt stop and maybe the follower. Shouldn't be too much work.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
25 cal based off a 338RUM would be WICKED!!! Sign me up for one please.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brando:
25 cal based off a 338RUM would be WICKED!!! Sign me up for one please.

Roll EyesWould even make more sense with a fast twist, deep throat , single shot follower and a 165 grain tungsten insert bullet.Wahhh***. Now there may even be a use for it.Sure! You bet. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, how close is the 25/338rum to the Banshee?

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Necking down the Win Mag case would get you about the same capacity as the Banshee since the 8x68 case and the win mag case are so close.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
The answer is simple...
257-375 Ruger or 270-375 Ruger Smiler

Boom
The 270 375 Ruler is a wildcat I want to build have you got any information on it to share?

Regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Well not really other than you might want to imitate what others have done and has moved the shoulder back as to not have a super short neck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x68 should do it nicely.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
the Banshee is the 6,5x68S blown out, sharp shouldered, and necked down to take .257" bullets.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah! Let's build a wildcat that will throw a bullet at 4000 fps while we are at it...

What in the H#!* are you going to use for a projectile? Barnes, I guess? Nothing else out there will hold up to the velocity, centrifugal forces, or impact stresses.

Why do you think the 224 TTHA never took off?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich I should have clarified my question. I was asking case capacity wise. I was being lazy and didn't want to spend the time figuring it out. I did own a Banshee a few years back, sold it to a fellow in Billings and I think Justin got some brass from you.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes he did.

On the 4000fps bullet issue: Jeff Fowler and JLK and Berger all offer the 110gr VLD I designed with Jerry Simonson twenty years ago. BC is right at .700.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the Banshess should be very similar to this italian wildcat cartridge. There is only one rifle so chambered, made form a modified Sabatti rifle originally in 6.5 x 68

Sabatti and MAG later necked this cartridge up to .277" creating the .277 GS.

http://www.municion.org/6_5x68/6_5x68Sdg.htm

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rem---
Why not just set the barrel back a thread and then use your 257 WBY reamer and make it good?? Should be about an hour work and not too much difference in the stock to worry about except a little at the back of the r. sight dog-knot. Just a thought?
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote