New
Find
Notify
Tools

We need a new type of Bolt Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We wildcatters need a new type of bolt action that will reliably cycle and extract straight cases without a belt or rim. This does not seem like rocket science and it would open up many, many wildcatting doors. any thoughts on how we can get this done?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about headspacing?

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Headspace off the bullet ogive. Just have to get the ogives & OAL's all standardized.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougH9:
Headspace off the bullet ogive. Just have to get the ogives & OAL's all standardized.

Bad idea. No, a VERY bad idea. I can't imagine any manufacturer or gunsmith who would build such a rifle. JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sabot:
We wildcatters need a new type of bolt action that will reliably cycle and extract straight cases without a belt or rim. This does not seem like rocket science and it would open up many, many wildcatting doors. any thoughts on how we can get this done?

heh...

m1898 mauser ...no belt, no rim,

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, it was a bad idea, I was brainstorming. Some crazy ideas work...look at the primer powered Garand!

I guess what would be needed is like a shellholder type boltface with openings top & bottom. As the bolt moves foward the rimless cartridge would slide into the shellholder, chamber, fire, extract, then be ejected out of the top (or side if the boltface could rotate).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougH9:
Yea, it was a bad idea, I was brainstorming. Some crazy ideas work...look at the primer powered Garand!

I guess what would be needed is like a shellholder type boltface with openings top & bottom. As the bolt moves foward the rimless cartridge would slide into the shellholder, chamber, fire, extract, then be ejected out of the top (or side if the boltface could rotate).

Yes, Doug...that's the idea. There are, of course, single shots in bolt action set up like this, notably in 50 BMG. It would appear to require single stack and a very strong magazine spring to inject the round into the "shell holder". Ejection would require a 90 degree rotation of the shell holder and kicking the case out sideways.

Headspace would not be a problem, as we already use shell holders to MAKE cases to the precise headspacing required in reloading.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sabot:

The problem with such a concept lies not in the action, but in the chamber of the barrel - something has to stop the case when it is fully chambered. I suppose some sort of opposing extractor claws that firmly grasp the extractor groove might do this, but then ejecting the case would require some sort of extraordinary setup to free the fired case from the extractor system....

(Depending on the BULLET to accomplish this has never proved too reliable-or necessarily, even real safe!)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Howell built a rimless 444 Marlin on a Mauser 98. He uses 30-06 brass to build cases and it headspaces off the case mouth - the same as the 45ACP, 9mmLuger, 30 Carbine, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been away from this site for a while

Bolt gun that feeds straight wall cases .. maybe it's just me but the AR-15 and AR-10 will do so just fine with pistol cases such as the 9mm, 10mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, EVEN WITH THE STANDARD BOLT (ask me how I know)

Assume for extraction sake you have some minor taper to your case, it also aides in feeding reliably, no matter what your action is.

Not sure why your current actions will not do this, it works for us as is. Headspace on the case mouth ... does 30 Carbine ring a bell? 45 Professional? 50 Beowulf?

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote