New
Find
Notify
Tools

.35 WSSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm working up loads for this caliber. Its a necked up .25 WSSM, shortened to 1.620 to meet Indiana's PCR law and the necked turned to .012. So far Ive used .358 Win data and wondered if anyone else has any data that will work or is working with this caliber. Thanks,

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Fireball168 has done a lot of work with this. He calls it the 358 BFG
http://www.bfgcartridges.com/

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to contact Mike Milli at DTECH, I know he's working on various variants and probably can give you some help.
Cheers

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I have done this with my .358 Indiana Express. Cut the difference between .358 Win. loads and .35 Whelen loads without excess pressure.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horn-Harvester:
I'm working up loads for this caliber. Its a necked up .25 WSSM, shortened to 1.620 to meet Indiana's PCR law and the necked turned to .012. So far Ive used .358 Win data and wondered if anyone else has any data that will work or is working with this caliber. Thanks,

Just for my own general knowledge sake, what is "Indiana's PCR law"
and why do you have to have it "shortened to 1.620 to meet Indiana's PCR law" ?

Thanks

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
PCR = Pistol Cartridge Rifle, i.e. you can use a rifle if it uses a pistol cartridge. The fun part is what Indiana defines as a pistol cartridge, at least how it's related to the PCR rule. It's based on dimensions only, .357" minimum caliber, with a 1.625" brass max length. As long as you meet those two requirements, it's legal to use in a rifle for deer hunting.

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Earl:
I have done this with my .358 Indiana Express. Cut the difference between .358 Win. loads and .35 Whelen loads without excess pressure.

Big Earl

I am highly impressed by that stock on your WSSM. Sure looks a hell of a lot better than the stock that came on my WSSM. That can't be factory can it?

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Kevin, Naw, I found out the law was going thru and I had a 7wsm project rifle in the works. Just converted it to the truncated round and rebarreled it with a Pac-Nor. The wood was from Murat Ergin and Mike Kokolus traced one of my pattern stocks. Have taken about twenty deer with it so far, it flattens them.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Big Earl

What kind of wood is that and what grade? Thanks for any info.

Steve E.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Not sure what it would be considered as far a grade and I’m not sure how much I paid for it either. Guessing around 5 or 6 bills. I have bought about four dozen blanks like that in the last seven or eight years for myself and clients and I have found the grading system to be vastly skewed between distributors. Earl