New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for new Newton Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know where to find any of the Newton brass in new production. How about any of the old cartriges that have been loaded in the past? Or reloading dies?
Thanks, Lee

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee

Do a search here and on "Cartridge Collecting" forum and you will find some recent posts. If you don't hear from our resident Newton expert "White Bison", contact him for most of the information you will need.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaprota:
Does anyone know where to find any of the Newton brass in new production. How about any of the old cartriges that have been loaded in the past? Or reloading dies?
Thanks, Lee

jamison is now making newton brass...check with him

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello: Contact Marc Jamison of Jamison Brass.
phone no. 605-347-5090. He has promised
to make new Newton Brass...but needs some
encouragement as it is "iffy" as to whether
it will be profitable. I gave him some
original Newton brass for his measurments
& data. The big one is the .30 Newton
brass, as its a big case without a good
"parent" brass case to form from. You can
form .30 Newton brass, but its really a
difficult job, and still not the same
as an original .30 Newton case.
Its imperative for those interested in
new Newton brass to contact him to show
there is interest...just me calling him
is a one man army!
Graf & Buffalo Arms have the brass listed. Jamison is not making any yet...and
its "iffy" if he ever will. I hope he
will, and he could use encouragement.
I do think that if & when the brass
becomes available, it will create interest in the Newton cartidges as they are still great! I shoot from the .22 Newton to
the .416 Newton...and they are all superb!
Any more questions, private message me...I don't
always go on the AR Forums & am off for periods of time...
Best Regards,
Tom aka "White Bison"

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ps. The old cartridges are basically collector cartridges...I have a bunch, both Speer, Western &
1 Newton Arms Co. cartridge...I have tried using
them with limited sucess...as they are old & tend to split. Plus some have bveen fired with mercuric primers...and the old brass may be mercury weakened, hard to tell when reloading. I even had a box of .30 Newton cartridges, full loaded rounds.
I pulled the bullets, deprimed, dumped the powder.
Then reloaded the clean brass...and they still split!
You can get reloading dies from RCBS or C-H.
RCBS made a .22 Newton Die set for me, even.
Hornady made .280 Newton & .416 Newton die sets
for me. I have some of each manufacturer dies.
C-H is probably the least expensive.
Best Regards,
Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 99 cases,5 boxs ..three are white speer with red lion,I want to sale but dont know the value???Can someone help me price these please?Thanks for any info,Date on 2 boxs is 1960.

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what caliber? .30 Newton,
.256 Newton, .35 Newton? What are the boxes that are not Speer? Western?
Like most anything else, they are worth what someone will pay for them.
Most Newton Brass is just too old to be useful, other than say cartridge collector interest.
The Speer boxes are interesting as the old ones I have are blue with white lettering, the only Speer ones I've ever seen. And supposedly the latest Newton brass made was after WW2, about 1945, although Richard Speer was said to have some made later on, but I never heard of any as late as 1960?!
I can't establish a price, because its a real
iffy thing...depends entirely how much someone will want to give for them...I had bought original Newton brass for $11/box of 20 once...
but they proved worthless anyway as so old they split. I wouldn't mind having a box of the brass marked "1960" to check it out...or the Speer white with red lion.
Contact me via my email: bisonland@ bresnan.net
& maybe we can make a deal?
Best Regards,
Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom there 30 newton.I will give you a PM.
Thanks

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears that the .375 Ruger should have been named the .38 Newton! It is very close to Newton brass dimensions at .530" base diameter, my original Newton brass is .525-.528". Has anyone been able to inspect and measure this case? It would seem that all our prodding of Steve Hornady to make Newton basic brass got him thinking about a proprietary cartridge instead. The .375 Ruger just about duplicates .35 Newton ballistics with the 270 grain bullet.

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality Cartridge http://www.qual-cart.com/ is supposed to making .256 Newton brass and Midway is supposed to be carrying it but it shows as being "Back Ordered"

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: .256 Newton brass is not a problem...easily made from .25-06. The Newton brass that is wanted is the .30 Newton...an unbelted size by itself.
And, Hornady probably should have labeled their .375 Ruger..the new .375 Newton...but marketing what it is, wouldn't do that! Its not exactly the same as a .35 Newton necked up to .375...but so very close to it...Dave Scoville wrote in the Feb. Rifle Magazine about this...basically the .35 Newton necked up to .375.
Best Regards,
Tom