Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy pellets???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I have a new Benjamin Titan Nitro rifle and was wondering if it is safe to shoot some of the heavier pellet in it. I have a tin of the JSB Exact Jumbo Monster Diabolo pellets which weigh 25.39 grains. I usually shoot 14 to 18 grain pellets, I have heard some people say a steady diet of these heavier pellets aren't good for them. Not sure what part they aren't good for though. I have shot a few of the Jumbos and they are fairly accurate but boy do they have a rainbow trajectory.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve e--I don't see how heavy pellets would be a problem. Lighter pellets are. My only experience with heavy pellets were some I cast from a mold that was a special order group buy. The theory was that the heavy pellet would carry further and hit like nothing else on the planet. Totally opposite from what I want from a pellet. Shooting from my backyard, I'd like a parachute attached that stopped the pellet at my fence line. Anyways this heavy pellet keyholded. I was told later that shot backwards they performed well. I tried that and they weren't terribly accurate and had very poor penetration. All in all the Crosman Premiers seemed much better.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. It seemed to me that the lighter the pellet the harder it would be on a gun also. Just wanted to clear up some of the 'misinformation' floating around on the 'net'. The Crosman Premier seems to do fairly well for me too. I live over by Lawn Haven Cemetary.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
on a springer or piston gun, heavy is actually easier on the internals. light pellets allow the various components to slam into each other with a lot of force. i only shoot PCP's but always use fairly heavy pellets to retain downrange energy, realizing that the trade off is a slightly loopier trajectory- but the heavier pellets definitely hit harder at distances beyond 50 yards

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep And I personally abhor the lightweight alloy models in springers.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
And the lightweight alloy pellets aren't accurate for @#$%.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve E, the PBA pellets go super fast from a Gamo Hurricane (Hunter 1250), but I can't hit the side of a barn with them at that speed. Sure do sound good going downrange though.

Proud member of :
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Posts: 42 | Location: Spfg Mo | Registered: 14 December 2012Reply With Quote