The Accurate Reloading Forums
Heavy pellets???

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6511043/m/3491023971

03 September 2012, 08:35
Steve E.
Heavy pellets???
I have a new Benjamin Titan Nitro rifle and was wondering if it is safe to shoot some of the heavier pellet in it. I have a tin of the JSB Exact Jumbo Monster Diabolo pellets which weigh 25.39 grains. I usually shoot 14 to 18 grain pellets, I have heard some people say a steady diet of these heavier pellets aren't good for them. Not sure what part they aren't good for though. I have shot a few of the Jumbos and they are fairly accurate but boy do they have a rainbow trajectory.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran
03 September 2012, 08:53
carpetman1
Steve e--I don't see how heavy pellets would be a problem. Lighter pellets are. My only experience with heavy pellets were some I cast from a mold that was a special order group buy. The theory was that the heavy pellet would carry further and hit like nothing else on the planet. Totally opposite from what I want from a pellet. Shooting from my backyard, I'd like a parachute attached that stopped the pellet at my fence line. Anyways this heavy pellet keyholded. I was told later that shot backwards they performed well. I tried that and they weren't terribly accurate and had very poor penetration. All in all the Crosman Premiers seemed much better.
06 September 2012, 05:31
Steve E.
Thanks for the info. It seemed to me that the lighter the pellet the harder it would be on a gun also. Just wanted to clear up some of the 'misinformation' floating around on the 'net'. The Crosman Premier seems to do fairly well for me too. I live over by Lawn Haven Cemetary.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran
06 September 2012, 10:03
jdollar
on a springer or piston gun, heavy is actually easier on the internals. light pellets allow the various components to slam into each other with a lot of force. i only shoot PCP's but always use fairly heavy pellets to retain downrange energy, realizing that the trade off is a slightly loopier trajectory- but the heavier pellets definitely hit harder at distances beyond 50 yards

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…
07 September 2012, 23:50
Mikelravy
Yep And I personally abhor the lightweight alloy models in springers.
10 September 2012, 02:02
Steve E.
And the lightweight alloy pellets aren't accurate for @#$%.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran
19 December 2012, 09:57
gunsmoke251
Steve E, the PBA pellets go super fast from a Gamo Hurricane (Hunter 1250), but I can't hit the side of a barn with them at that speed. Sure do sound good going downrange though.

Proud member of :
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals