New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using Mobil 1 for gun lubricant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently came across a post on AR15.com that suggested using Mobil 1 (car oil) for a gun lubricant. I would guess around 80% of the people who commented said this was a great choice and of course there were a few that said absolutely no way! I want to see what you think? would you use Mobil one to lubricate your pistols/ AR-15's? My roomate has since started using this lubricating method, soaking almost everything in this oil. I just cant get my head around the fact that gun oil wont lube your car so why would you lube your gun with car oil?

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of over simplifying things, oil is oil. The basic differences between the many brands and types are viscosity and additives, and whether petroleum based or synthetic.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see an issue with it. I would make sure I used a 5wt viscosity for auto/semi-auto so it doesn't gum-up the works. A Teflon additive might be beneficial too. You just don't want to use heavy weight motor oil. Gun oil is nothing more than lightweight viscosity machine oil w/additives and solvent. I've use ATF for years w/no problems. Just use it anywhere gun oil is indicated and not in place of a grease.

Posts: 3679 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
George Honeig uses Mobil 1 and another lubricant in a special cocktail for his guns. I;d say he knew a thing or two about guns so it must be pretty decent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using turbine oil which has all the properties needed to make an excellent gun oil .When that runs out I'll switch to Mobil 1 .That too has the properties of a fine gun oil.
The FBI did tests on non=typical lubes for guns and Mobil 1 was the best as I remember.
Try it you'll like it !

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I've also read some threads on Moble 1, But it was regarding the Moble 1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I met a guy once who used to work for Mobil as an engineer and talking to that guy really impressed me. It;s not all advertising and voodoo, the stuff is really really good.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I like Amsoil 0-30 Signature Series because of the extreme conditions I shoot in!!High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity cP, X°C, X s-1 (ASTM D4683) 3.2 fishing

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
I like Amsoil 0-30 Signature Series because of the extreme conditions I shoot in!!High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity cP, X°C, X s-1 (ASTM D4683) 3.2 fishing

I use amsoil and royal purple stuff. Royal Purple now makes a gun oil. as far as car oil for guns, it works fine. but transmission fluid has more detergents and is a better cleaner if used in the bore. ATF is a 20 weight oil

Amsoil's 0w30 is one of the best synthetics on the market. I have used it and the 0w20.

If you want to spend the money, consider some Redline racing oil in 5w20 or 0w20 for firearms. It is a group V base synthetic (esther).

Keep in mind, many motor oils have moly in them designed for lubrication in a motor. I don't know if it matters if you use it in the bore or not.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started using synthetics when it was advised for the Automag pistol by Kent Lomont years ago. Works fine for autos!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny_Revolver
posted Hide Post
I use Mobil 1 5w 50 on my rifles and pistols, I`ve had no bad experiences. been using it a while too, I reckon that litre bottle will last a while.

Posts: 131 | Location: South east Queensland Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who recently retired from Sunoco Oil company. He knows alot about lubricants and is an advid collector of Winchester and Browning guns. He only buys high end guns and owns over 300. He uses Mobil 1 exclusively.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2295 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is George Honeig??

If he is a professional shooter, I would imagine that, like in other sports, he uses whatever the highest paying sponser tells him to.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
If he is a professional shooter, I would imagine that, like in other sports, he uses whatever the highest paying sponser tells him to.

that's hilarious. George Hoenig is likely the best living gunbuilder, a true legend. Just because you haven;t heard of him doesn't negate this fact.

I was going to post an article I wrote on him, but you need to pull your head out of your ass and do your own research.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The only oil better would be Slick50.....remember the info-mercials

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

that's hilarious. George Hoenig is likely the best living gunbuilder, a true legend. Just because you haven;t heard of him doesn't negate this fact.

I was going to post an article I wrote on him, but you need to pull your head out of your ass and do your own research.

Sorry but you need to be a little more objective and precise please. “gunbuilder” please define as this is a broad term. For certain types of firearms yes he is among the elite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey ASSHOLE aka BaxterB, I didn't put him down, I just asked who he was. The fact that you've got your nose up his ass doesn't mean there aren't other people in the world that have not heard of him; would have no occassion to know who he is. I daresay there are other "gunbuilders" and clients that would dispute your claim also, but I don't know. That's why I asked. Do you understand that, you ignorant shit?
Finally, if you don't know how the endorsement game is played you really are too stupid to be let out without supervision.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:

Finally, if you don't know how the endorsement game is played you really are too stupid to be let out without supervision.

Very Very valid point...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
I've also read some threads on Moble 1, But it was regarding the Moble 1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).

I'd need to find the actual Government study, but IIRC, the best alternative cleaner for small arms was found to be Automatic Transmission Fluid, while the best alternative lubricant was found to be 20W synthetic motor oil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Beeman, I'm sure glad BaxterB did not get you riled up. shocker Of course, I get along so well with everyone. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey ASSHOLE aka BaxterB, I didn't put him down, I just asked who he was. The fact that you've got your nose up his ass doesn't mean there aren't other people in the world that have not heard of him; would have no occassion to know who he is. I daresay there are other "gunbuilders" and clients that would dispute your claim also, but I don't know. That's why I asked. Do you understand that, you ignorant shit?

Note to self:

Don't piss off wasbeeman
Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez guys, all I did was ask a question. I didn't realize that I was tugging on Superman's cape. Roll Eyes

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geez guys, all I did was ask a question. I didn't realize that I was tugging on Superman's cape. Roll Eyes

I thought your PO'd post was funny!

I laughed my ass off....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I thought your PO'd post was funny!

I laughed my ass off....
+1 rotflmo

When the "nice guys" on the Board get wound up, it is definitely funny! tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 wasbeeman. That was quite funny. lol

George Heoenig designed a stock duplication machine and did custom rifle work. Seems like that wouldv'e been easy enough to say instead of tellin you about your head and ass and all that. Some people are just unpleasant. And perhaps baxter just doesnt have any social skills.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH! THAT George Hoenig. I thought he was talking about George Hoenig that is a Professor of Theology at Elizabeth Seton college.
I was having trouble putting gun care and theology together. But then, where I keep my head is rather dark and stuffy so that clear thinking is sometimes hard. Wink

Aim for the exit hole

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
synthetics have no unwanted sulpher, oils, waxes, or nitrogens ... won't pit or etch...

my wife's father gave her a battlefield pickup NCO sword from the pacific ... he had used motor oil, and its buggered

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38474 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just inherited a prestine condition 6mm Remington model 742. Would a synthetic oil be better to keep the rails lubed or a dry lubricant like powdered graphite? Seems like the rails are the weak point of the 742. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Works well on a dry condom..... shocker

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:

Bill, seriously, grow up

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by merganser1:
I just inherited a prestine condition 6mm Remington model 742. Would a synthetic oil be better to keep the rails lubed or a dry lubricant like powdered graphite? Seems like the rails are the weak point of the 742. Merg

In the old Corps we used Lubriplate on our M-14s. I use it on my Garand.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

Bill, seriously, grow up

Jeff, seriously, most of these threads are humorless....smile Wink once in awhile.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I repeat, grow up. This isn't about the status of humor content, rather the inappropriateness of your comment. non sequitor states are not automaticaly funny

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso. I am Oh So sorry I offended you with my attempt at a humorous comment. And you must (?) realize that a non sequitur is a conversational and literary device, often used for comedic purposes, as I intended. Your reference to a non sequitor "State," escapes me.

This my very first post on this thread and will be my last.

And for your edification (enlightenment) I have no intention of ever "growing up." Smile, you may find it stress relieving. tu2

Theodore Roosevelt

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill,
please don't pretend to be ignorant of your uncouth and misogynistic comments. Your failed attempt at humor, and being called at it, should have helped you to decide to take a big ole glass of S.U.N. and not (lamely) attempt to "turn" your failure onto me for calling you out on it .. Of course i could be wrong on it being misogynistic, though i assume your "target" for sucha fouled condom would be a human female.

you don't know, don't pretend you know my humor or nature.

Oh, do grow up .. growing older is a delightful chance thing, being a civilized male of advanced age that knows how to act in public does appear to be a rarer thing everyday. I assume its better for you to have the illusion that such behavoir is advantgeous to yourself

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeffeosso. I am Oh So sorry I offended you
you aren't in the least, though you might be annoyed for being called out
quote:
with my attempt at a humorous comment.
failed .. like most of your comments, only you laugh
quote:
And you must (?) realize that a non sequitur is a conversational and literary device, often used for comedic purposes, as I intended.
yes, bill, that's why i explained your attempt both failed and is offensive
quote:

Your reference to a non sequitor "State," escapes me.
i don't doubt it . I didn't cap state, you did, which changes the meaning. deadpan is also a comic device
quote:

This my very first post on this thread and will be my last.
actually, its your third, and i doubt your last
quote:

And for your edification (enlightenment)
did you get a new word of the day program?
quote:

I have no intention of ever "growing up."
unfortunate for those that interact with you
quote:
Smile, you may find it stress relieving. tu2

i do, and use it frequently, as well as laughing, hearing an actually witty joke, and playing with my neices, nephews, and grandkids ... as well as at work, with peers and coworkers, and many others on the internet. I do not find your inferred misogynomy to be in the least bit hurmous .. some things aren't funny, Bill .. this is one of them

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
middlefinger

Theodore Roosevelt

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
X

at least i was right once today

thanks for being consistent, bill, and proving yoruself both uncouth AND a liar.

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Well, I do not find that I am uncouth and I am far from a liar. That said I do regret starting this
ruckus and I am not above apologizing.....and so I do.

That said, I do believe you took this totally the wrong way....

Theodore Roosevelt

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I apologize if your offended

#dumptrump

476AR,