Find
Notify
Tools

Using Mobil 1 for gun lubricant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Accepted....as mine should be as well....the forum is no place for animosity to live....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the original question(ish)

There's a company in Texas called Corrosion X and I've used their products of boats, aircraft and cars for probably 20+ years and it's simply brilliant stuff.

I note that they now make Corrosion X for guns. http://www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

I don't yet know if it's available here but will try to track it down.

One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Bill,
please don't pretend to be ignorant of your uncouth and misogynistic comments. Your failed attempt at humor, and being called at it, should have helped you to decide to take a big ole glass of S.U.N. and not (lamely) attempt to "turn" your failure onto me for calling you out on it .. Of course i could be wrong on it being misogynistic, though i assume your "target" for sucha fouled condom would be a human female.

you don't know, don't pretend you know my humor or nature.

Oh, do grow up .. growing older is a delightful chance thing, being a civilized male of advanced age that knows how to act in public does appear to be a rarer thing everyday. I assume its better for you to have the illusion that such behavoir is advantgeous to yourself

Sheesh, no wonder I never see you in the ARPF.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
I've been using turbine oil which has all the properties needed to make an excellent gun oil .When that runs out I'll switch to Mobil 1 .That too has the properties of a fine gun oil.
The FBI did tests on non=typical lubes for guns and Mobil 1 was the best as I remember.
Try it you'll like it !

Be careful with turbine oil, it's designed to absorb moisture. I could forsee pitting problems if it is left on steel for some time, though it might not be a problem if you live in the desert, ie. low humidity. I had a bad experience with ISO 68 turbine oil, which was used in a large loader instead of ISO 68 Hydraulic fluid. It destroyed about 10 grand worth of hydraulic pumps due to cavitation from water absorbtion.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of G96.

G96 gun oil

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
The turbine oil I use is Mobil DTE. Never had a corrosion problem and I doubt there will be a cavitation problem in a gun !! LOL! Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I picked up a quart of Pennzoil 10W-30 full synthetic at O'Reilly/Kragen for four bucks on sale. I saw other oils claiming to be synthetics but these were blended with base oils, which I assume to be petroleum oils. Not what we want. Mobil 1 is $6.37 at Walmart and $7.49 at Kragen. Then I see the Pennzoil on sale. I poured 16 ounces of it into a pump-spray bottle and it spritzes pretty good. Not as fine a mist as water, but OK for hosing down a gun. I'm gonna try it tomorrow after I get my AR all dirty inside...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The differences in motor oil are largely marketing.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to oils.
I like to use EEZOX.
Prevents rust.
Dries - I dislike touching oil slimed firearms.
Doesn't gum up and each application dissolves the previous.

The down side, it is a bit stinky but then so is Hoppes #9. The smell does disappear over time.

www.eezox.com/index.htm

For bolt grease I use Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 Grease

Here is the link for your researching pleasure:

http://www.lucasoil.ca/product...&cat=HighPerformance

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenjoy:

I like to use EEZOX.

The down side, it is a bit stinky but then so is Hoppes #9. The smell does disappear over time.

I like Eezox, too. It's expensive at about eleven bucks a can. I like the smell. Never bothered me. Synthetic motor oil is a screamin' bargain compared to the stuff you buy in aerosol cans. For my four bucks, it works just as good. It takes just a small amount, and I wipe down the exterior to avoid that oily feeling.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found the synthetic oil to work as a secondary bore cleaner after the regime of Hoppe's or Butch's, etc. After it appears clean enough then I run a dampened patch down the bore to coat it for storage. Before I got this job w/ the severe overtime demands, I shot more, a lot more and brewed up some Ed's Red (you can google it) and it worked very well.

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought I sot a good bit. I come to the conclusion once or twice a week with several guns must not be because I have never needed so much oil that I needed to use motor oil to save money.

Cleaning aside I have never seen a need for more than a little FP10 or other such lube. Militec has worked well on autos like my AR, AK and others while their grease works great on the M1 Garand where a sticky grease is needed. I bought a tub of a grease from Switzerland called Automettenfett that they use on their autos and it may just last me my lifetime for all my light grease needs.

I have heard ATF cleans well and have thought of getting a little to try in place of kroil on the tough mil surp stuff.

Am I doing something wrong? Do you give your guns a bath in this stuff?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With so many good gun specific products made now, that have undergond so many tests,. some of them to a very high standard, why would someone want to use a non gun tested product?

I would not put gun oil in my crankcase...

Why would I put crankcase oil on my gun???

Just curious... Confused

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question is does it have the necessary properties ? I've used turbine oil for years. About the most highly refined petroleum oil.That means it has no paraffin waxs that precipitate in cold and gum up things. It has anti-oxidents to prevent turning into a varnish. That and other properties make it ideal for a gun oil.So it's not the name they stick on it but the properties it has !!