New
Find
Notify
Tools

WIPE OUT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where is the best place to get wipe out...

I belive there is a foaming one and a non foaming one, is there any diffrence in the end result

thanks Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Daniel.This product really seems to work.Just keep the place well ventilated when you use it.If you are like me these chemical sprays can really get to you.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Check the many threads on this forum about Wipeout!

I use the liquid version with the addition of the Accelerator liquid for faster action. You may want to also add a carbon remover like Carbout or a carburetor cleaner like I am using.

After 20+ years of shooting, I have learned a lot about barrel cleaning in the last year with these products! It is amazing how many alternative layers of carbon & copper fouling you get.

In Melbourne you have 500N who posts here (Nigel). He owns a shooting supply business. A few years ago I got a friend to collect from him & bring to NZ. Now it is easily available here.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've played around with the foam, liquid, and accelerator.

What I like to use is accelerator, then foam, then patch it out after anywhere from 30mins to 24 hrs.

I get better results than foam alone, or using liquid accelerator and liquid wipeout.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I cleaned my rifles 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I checked 4 of them. I used mineral spirits to wipe the boars and then used Carburetor cleaner. Then Wipeout / Accelerator.

All bores were clean to metal with virtually no green on patch & no visible fouling at muzzle end.

It has taken me about 3 rounds of cleaning to achieve this over the last 3 months since I started using the carburetor cleaner to remove powder fouling. Makes a BIG difference.

You still learn something after 20 years of rifle shooting / cleaning!

Now to see if they shoot any different! Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Wipe-Out foam for well over 5 years now... works great, but is a pain if your in a hurry..

So what I do now is, I will use the wipe-out product called Patch-Out after each shooting session, and then the foam about once a year.. It helps me stay on top of it!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those using Wipe-out on rifles with iron sights should protect the front sight bead(should it be made from copper or brass) from the stuff.I shouldered my double just recently and could not see the front sight-it had turned dark green.I used Brasso to clean it.Note that I have the NECG or Recknagel front sight bead and it could be silver instead of copper-I am not sure.They refer to it as a "silver" bead but I am not sure if they really mean that it is made out of silver.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Accelerator and Wipe Out for a while now and alternate until nothing comes out after 12 hours of soaking. Works very well but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting the bores "too clean". Any thought along those lines please?

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Go by how it shoots. Some take 20 shots to get dirty enough to shoot well again. Keep notes for each rifle. Smooth barrels and rough barrels act differently re: cleaning. I hate WO and will only go through the agony if I want to be absolutely sure I am back to "squeaky clean".

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2511043/m/2911077502

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what do you do with the barrel when it is shooting great? I've done this when getting ready for hunting season and didn't touch the barrel until the hunting was done. But now I shoot a lot of paper and it's a long layover in Michigan until it's warm enough to go shooting again. Do I leave the barrel alone, or run an oily patch through it, or clean thoroughly and oil for winter storage?

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Clean it, oil it, store it. Keep records so you know what to do to be ready to shoot again.

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not anal about cleaning my hunting rifles and all the rifles I keep shoot extremely well clean or dirty..

I believe more bores are ruined by cleaning rods and too much scrubbing.

I use a Bore snake 99% of the time and it works great..Once a year my guns get the rod and Wipe Out treatment, or I may use Blue Goop that I mix myself.

I have two rifles that don't take to cleaning well, one I only clean every 4 or 5 hundred rounds, the other I have owned since one BC and I never clean it, if I do it won't shoot for 200 rounds and its a tac driver when not monkied with.

Based on my experience over the years I can understand the total confusion of barrel cleaning. Its a pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about Wipeout/Patchout is that you can leave it in your barrel
without damage for long periods without any damage....let it do its thing.

I like to use the Accelerator and follow up with Patchout. The Wipeout foam
doesn't always go to the end of long, small caliber barrels before shooting
out backwards all over the can, your hand, etc. With a few strokes of a
nylon brush (it eats brass brushes), the Patchout will foam up enough to stay
in the barrel for a good soak. A bottle of Patchout also lasts longer than a
can of Wipeout.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fitted a thin flexible tube over the WipeOut spout. Place the tube just past the chamber and lay on the button. When it comes out the back of the chamber it has usually already left the muzzle.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drew, I just put a few wraps of electrical tape on the tube with about a neck length of tube still sticking out. Push the tube down the chamber and the tape seals the tube to the chamber/neck. Simple and it works.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the flexible tube also, mine is about 12 inches long..I plug the chamber with a wood dowl, punch the button and duck as the tube and a bit of foam comes out at the crown! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote