New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM Top Engine Cleaner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As we all know it's no longer available, at least not in the 16-ounce cans. A member herein said naphthalene is the same stuff. I see cans of naphtha available at the hardware store. Is naphtha the same stuff as naphthalene is allegedly the same stuff as TEC?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Wal-Mart Top engine cleaner... cheap and works great.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use Wal-Mart Top Engine Cleaner...

There is such a thing? I'm there!!

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
seafoam

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
seafoam

OK. I've seen it. You put that stuff in the gastank. TEC is slowly dribbled into the carburetor while the engine is revved to about 2,000 rpm. I think it is. Or is that plain water? I've done that. I have half a can of TEC. I can compare ingredients...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Naphthalene is NOT naphtha. Naphthalene is a white, crystalline substance marketed as little white balls called "mothballs". It is toxic. It is not the stuff that idiots put in their urinals to kill smell....that is paradichlorobenzene.....also toxic and probably carcinogenic. (I figure that naphthalene is also a carcinogen ... why both those products are sold in stores beats the heck out of me.
Naphtha is a liquid made as a petroleum distillate...can serve as a solvent for organic muck such as accumulations in barrels. If you use it.....do it in open air....avoid breathing the vapors.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to Walmart and looked at the ingredients for Seafoam. Looked at what the can of TEC says is in it. The two are seemingly oceans apart. Seafoam has CAS 647412-49-0 (petroleum distillate), 64742-54-7 (petroleum oil) and 2-propanol CAS (67-63-0) in it. TEC has six things in it, not one of which is duplicated in Seafoam. The two ain't the same. Still looking for a substitute, I am...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got clicking rocker arms, sticky valves?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got clicking rocker arms, sticky valves?

I usually hear stuff like this after several hundred rounds through the ol' AR carbine...