Tools

Quality 'take down' cleaning rod--UPDATE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

How do you scratch steel with aluminum??? dancing[/QUOTE]

It is a myth...I have been a machinist/mold maker for 23 years. I know a bit about metals/steel and what cuts them the best/worst.

The joints collect the "CRAP" that you are trying to clean out that is the main flaw.

A multi piece rod needs to be made of a softer metal than that of the 4100 sieries barrel steel ....alluminum, or brass is the choice.[/QUOTE]

I think this covers a jointed rod hurting your barrel. I have a bore scope, and my experience is a lot of barrel 'damage' is mythical.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I guess ten years as a staff columnist at Precision Shooting Magazine, and a top-90 (out of 387 shooters) at the Super Shoot (never saw a multi-piece cleaning rod) with a borrowed rifle, and top scores in the bench half at several Schuetzenfest National Championships, and looking at a number of benchrest barrels scored by the grime carried in the joints of multi-piece rods on borescopes, or advice from people like Alan Hall and Ed Shilen and Dan Lilja and a couple dozen benchrest and long range accuracy gunsmiths is pretty piddly compared to your extensive experience sitting in front of your computer monitor or flying in tiny airplanes too small to stick a one-piece cleaning rod in. You ever make it to a Super Shoot you will see hundreds of one-piece cleaning rods being carried in the pvc rod cases. Those guys, like myself, are so dumb we use separate rods for cleaning patches and brushes and use electrical contact cleaner in spray cans to clean the rods between passes.

Being ignorant is okay, but try not to make a career out of it.

regards,

Rich

It's not "those guys" it's you. Re-read the original question. You allude to a broad set of some accomplishments. I remember your attempted deceit on a bolt guide of a CZ550 compared to a RSM. Be very explicit on what you accomplished...you are not trustworthy.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
looking at a number of benchrest barrels scored by the grime carried in the joints of multi-piece rods on borescopes,

Idaho Sharpshooter: What type of lie is this? There is NO benchrest competitor on earth that cleans with a multi-piece rod. They don't have to because they have plenty of space to travel with full length rods. Bush plane travel minimizes ALL equipment. Fish asked an important question, but because you don't have the experience to recognize it's importance you tried to belittle it. You're comments confirm you are not qualified to make recommendations.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Fish

Some 20 years ago I bought a 3 piece rod made by OXYOKE ORIGINALS It is made of steel and will scratch.

The first thing I did was to put it together Tightly and then I sanded the joints so I was smooth. I still use it today but it needs touched up again. But I use it only foe through cleaning not as a pack around model for that I use a boresnake.

But then again I do not hunt The Grizzly or brown bear either. I if I had a misshap and plugged my barrel and needed a rod In the field I would not have it with me. And believe me I have been so lost and had been in so far over my head that I have actually UNLOADED my rifle to get out of the jam I was in to ASSURE safety on my return back to camp.And would not have shot the Biggest elk or deer at that point.

I dont know if that helps or not, But it is my take on it all.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What so special about Dewey? What are they made out of?

I once had a case stuck in a break open rifle. I bent an aluminum rod trying to get it out. With a one piece steel rod it just took a gentle tap to get the case out.

I’ve also dropped a threaded brass rod off the bench and had it break at the joint. (Marbles)

So at home or the range I have a one piece steel rod for that one time in a million problem and aluminum for regular cleaning.

I think for a trip I’d keep a multi-piece steel rod in my kit.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, pro-shot rods came in. Very nice, the joints have a shoulder that seats in the joining section, and they are extremely close in tolerance, i.e. very smooth to the touch at the joints. Pretty handy to throw one in the pack and very nice rotating ball bearing handle.

The Rapid rod is the winner for a lightweight field expedient solution for me though, I'll pay the extra price of that few extra ounces from now on in my pack.

The customs from Dewey are still to come, I am expecting that they will be similar to the Pro-shot rods....

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, custom rods from Dewey arrived yesterday, and they are in fact very similar to the pro-shot rods. I actually prefer the pro-shot handles, but the rod joints on the Deweys are excellent (as are the pro-shot joints) and the rod material is slightly stiffer....The plastic tube that the Pro-Shots come with is really a plus--makes it easy to keep together, will have to find a tube of some sort for the Deweys....

I've got several 'take-down' rods now, and I'm really glad to have found the rapid-rod--Thanks to jtinidaho!

I'll always have a rod at the range now, got one or two in all my range cleaning bags!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a long-time fan of Sinclair and notice they have the Rapid-Rod in their catalog. Other than their critical need for an editor for their catalog, I have a lot of trust in Sinclair's advice. Please note their description for the Rapid-Rod is focused on removing bore obstructions, not cleaning the rifle. I take my rifles hunting a lot and agree a Rapid-Rod would be a valuable tool to carry along.
Don Boyd

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Boyd:
I'm a long-time fan of Sinclair and notice they have the Rapid-Rod in their catalog. Other than their critical need for an editor for their catalog, I have a lot of trust in Sinclair's advice. Please note their description for the Rapid-Rod is focused on removing bore obstructions, not cleaning the rifle. I take my rifles hunting a lot and agree a Rapid-Rod would be a valuable tool to carry along.
Don Boyd

Well said Don!