New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality 'take down' cleaning rod--UPDATE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
guys, I am looking for a good quality takedown/multi piece cleaning rod. I have had the Hoppes aluminum rods and they are just cheap, and break easily, I'm just looking for leads for a higher quality takedown type rod.

Thanks

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish, You might want to take a look at Rapid Rod at http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=171&parents= . This rod is connected together with cable, you just twist the handle and that tightens the cable, bringing the rod to one piece. Clint Smith, who owns the Thunder Ranch likes this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,I would never use anything but a coated one-piece rod in my bore.
When I need something portable for say a hunting trip, I use a bore snake.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's a great new Oxymoron "quality take down cleaning rod".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a case or something else stuck in your barrel when you are out in the middle of nowhere, a take down rod can save the day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If, if you carried the rifle in a gun case, the one-piece rod should have gotten there right next to it. Multi-piece rods have a very good record with regard to having been made out of soft metal, and gouging the rifling. Screw one together and just slide your fingernail down the length. Notice anything?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a rapid rod in my hunting pack. I wouldn't use it for everyday cleaning, but it would save a hunt if you had a stuck case or filled the barrel with mud. A bore snake is useless for a blocked barrel. I also considered the Otis system but I felt is was overpriced and it again is primarly a pull rather than a push system.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use stainless ones from PRO-SHOT.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a nice takedown stainless one that comes apart & goes back into the handle, but i don't have any idea who made it. otherwise the otis cable system works well

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, just buy one for the butt stock of an AR-15 at the next gunshow or from cheaper than dirt. They're only six-bucks, think of the money you'll save. It even comes in a little OD case you can snap on your web gear before heading out.

Rich
me, I have to buy my barrels and neither Krieger or Lilja are cheap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Pro Shot are the best take down rods I have seen lately.

I sometimes carry a Rapid Rod if weight is of surpreme imortance.
I only use nylon brushes with the rapid rod as it is not that strong/durable.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
FWIW,I would never use anything but a coated one-piece rod in my bore.
When I need something portable for say a hunting trip, I use a bore snake.

+1

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Pro Shot Field Rod is the straightest section rod I've used.
I carry a couple of the Pro Shot Field Rod Kits in my NRA HP shooting stool for the guys trying to push the gas/mouse guns too hard.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Fish,

I am also looking for such rod. I'm just returning from an extending safari requiring that my travel case be left behind when I got on the "tiny" bush plane and my duffle bag only big enough to carry a gun sleeve for my .500 Schuler Jumbo and .416 Rigby. Non-experienced folks like big mouth Idaho Sharpshooter would not be aware of why you asked the question. I made do with by combining two Hoppes aluminum take-down rod and bore guide with Dewey male thread jags. I have not found the product we are looking for. I plan to contact Dewey and ask for a custom project to build me the takedown rod I want. I would never run a stainless steel or steel rod thru my bore.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf, keep me posted about Dewey building you a rod, I would probably buy one as well.
Thanks to the posters who let me know Pro-Shot builds one, they make pretty good products IME.

I have a boatload of boresnakes, but as Buliwyf intimated, it is not the end all be all in a field situation. The precipatating event for me wanting to have one was a hunting partner sticking a case in his rifle after chamebering a previously fired case into the chamber--never did figure out why it stuck, it just came out of the chamber so it shouldn't have he reasoned....this on 'pre-hunt' sight in. It was a nightmare getting his rifle back up in action-- a length of plastic hose that just happened to be in his truck from his sons aquarium and some air out of the spare on his truck finally did it--we looked a long time for a length of stick that was straight enough to no avail.....

posted Hide Post
If you guys get Parker-Hale cleaning kit over there, they do a nice "safari" cleaning rod...Its brass and comes in three section with a proper roller bearing handle...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you google "Flexible cleaning rod" you'll find several different kinds. One of the most interesting to me is this one:

http://findarticles.com/p/arti...s_5_51/ai_n13469628/

It allows a person to clean the Remington 742 and similar hard-to-reach chambers and bores from the breach, with a flexible push-type rod. This one is made from carbon fibers and is non-imbedding....

It is not multi-piece, nor can it be coiled up to save a lot of room, but some of the various kinds can be coiled up and easily carried pretty much wherever you want to go...and still be used to PUSH out snow, mud, (or patches) from the breach.

Here is the U.S. patent, now over 20 years old, for a coilable cleaning rod.

http://www.patentstorm.us/pate...673/description.html\

They used to be on the market, but I can't recall the maker's name or model.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 3 piece brass rods sold at Wally World and been quite satisfied with them. You can eliminate the abrasive problem two ways:

1. Connect the joints and sand them level; then polish. If you want to go further, paint the rod with epoxy appliance paint.

2. Make a cheap bore guide out of a spent cartridge case by drilling out the primer pocket slightly larger than the rod diameter. Then insert the rod thru the hole, insert the jag or slotted tip into the bore and push the case into the chamber. Then push the rod thru. It won't touch the sides of the bore. The guide comes out with the rod when you withdraw it.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
If you guys get Parker-Hale cleaning kit over there, they do a nice "safari" cleaning rod...Its brass and comes in three section with a proper roller bearing handle...

I have one of these and use an adapter to use standard Jags and brushes.
Trader Keith's sell this rod.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
If, if you carried the rifle in a gun case, the one-piece rod should have gotten there right next to it. Multi-piece rods have a very good record with regard to having been made out of soft metal, and gouging the rifling. Screw one together and just slide your fingernail down the length. Notice anything? Rich

How do you scratch steel with aluminum??? dancing

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some theories on cleaning rods.

Jointed rods can damage a barrel because of the sharp edges on the joints...

Brass, aluminium, and coated rods can pick up "stuff" that sticks in the soft rod, and or get burrs, and that will scratch the bore...

So many people like a hard stainless rod, and keep it wipped down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, given I've been out of work for a spell, I splurged for Christmas and ordered myself several 'multi-piece' cleaning rods.
The first to arrive is a Gunslick 'Master' cleaning kit, with a multi piece rod. The rod is 3 pieces, and is a black anondized metal, I presume Aluminum. The sections are hollow. The handle is a ball bearing handle that is very nice. This is a great rod IMO, although not super small, it is all I need for the application I have in mind. I will definitely have a couple of military multi piece rods in my field kit as someone suggested going forward.

I never could find the Pro Shot takedown rod....I've got a cheapy from Hoppes from Wal-Mart...just that..Cheap quality....hope I can find a good solid stock as opposed to hollow rod....still a couple to come in--we'll see.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

The one I have is for .308win, but I would love to find one suitable for .243win ect although I've never seen them for anything less than .30cals....

For .22LR and .22CF I supposed a military take down rod would do in a pinch?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

The one I have is for .308win, but I would love to find one suitable for .243win ect although I've never seen them for anything less than .30cals....

For .22LR and .22CF I supposed a military take down rod would do in a pinch?

Peter,
My Parker Hale rod is also a 30cal+ but I have another 3 pce Proshot SS 22 rod for my 22,22M, 22H, 222 and 6.5x57. Plus a 22 and 30cal one piece Proshot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to find the pro-shot multi piece rod, nor the Parker Hale rod. I got a Birchwood Casey from Brownells and a Rapid Rod, they both work, the Rapid Rod being much lighter--I like them both, I would try the ProShot rod if I could find one....

Thanks to all--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a take-down cleaning rod/kit out of the Cheaper Than Dirt catalogue. I believe it was a Mil. surplus kit from one of the Scandinavian countries. Anyway it breaks down in appox. 7" lengths and is made of steel with big brass connecting nuts at each joint that act as guides going down the barrel, which keeps the steel off the bore. The only bad thing is it is metric threads so brushes and jags are only in what came with it - .30 cal.

I haven't really looked for any metric brushes.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
I haven't been able to find the pro-shot multi piece rod, nor the Parker Hale rod. I got a Birchwood Casey from Brownells and a Rapid Rod, they both work, the Rapid Rod being much lighter--I like them both, I would try the ProShot rod if I could find one....

Thanks to all--Don

Call Dewey and ask them to build you a custom take down rod.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf, didn't know they would do that, I will definitely call them--thanks for the tip!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm unaware of any take down rod that i would depend on during a hunt. I would pack a bore snake or otis cleaning rope.

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
A few years ago I bought a take-down cleaning rod/kit out of the Cheaper Than Dirt catalogue. I believe it was a Mil. surplus kit from one of the Scandinavian countries. Anyway it breaks down in appox. 7" lengths and is made of steel with big brass connecting nuts at each joint that act as guides going down the barrel, which keeps the steel off the bore. The only bad thing is it is metric threads so brushes and jags are only in what came with it - .30 cal.

I haven't really looked for any metric brushes.

Rae, good tip, I will look on CTD tonight.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got some custom .25 diameter rods @ 44" length with Ball Bearing handles and take down into 3 pieces coming from Dewey... a little costly but not ridiculous...we'll see how they come out.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
For cleaning I only use Dewey's but I always carry a break down rod to the range for bore clearing or stuck shells. Sectioned rods got a bad reputation from poor use and misuse, GI training to plunge from the muzzle. Even for occasional cleaning or the average hunter (20 rounds a year for deer season) that exhibits a little care they are okay.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
For cleaning I only use Dewey's but I always carry a break down rod to the range for bore clearing or stuck shells. Sectioned rods got a bad reputation from poor use and misuse, GI training to plunge from the muzzle. Even for occasional cleaning or the average hunter (20 rounds a year for deer season) that exhibits a little care they are okay.

I think you are spot on Sam, spot on!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, go to www.proshotproducts.com

All of their "stuff" is first rate.

I have taught a few rifle schools in Ill. and the owner was invited to my school to show his products.
He is a good guy.

His Universal Field Kit has a first quality take down rod, and comes in a small hard plastic cylinder, big enough for extra bore brushes and toothbrushes, etc.

Their grease and patches is first quality as well.

It is a "Quality" Product.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, dang N E 450 No2, I tried that before, and couldn't order anything from their site, but it seems to be working fine now.... I found a dealer that supposedly sent 4 rods I ordered but that was about 3 weeks ago, and it ain't here yet, they were a terrible sales experience....

I'm looking forward to seeing these rods though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf,

how did they get your big butt on a "tiny" airplane? They flying micro-lights where you hunt these days?
Any case big enough to carry two rifles is big enough to carry a one-piece cleaning rod between them. You will likely NEVER see a multi-piece cleaning rod used anywhere in competition. That's a get-together where being able to hit your target every shot counts.
It's no disgrace to be ignorant, but don't make a career out of it.

A piece of one inch pvc pipe with glue on cap at one end and a screw on one on the other is a great place to stick one, and it actually helps keep a softcase from flexing as much.
regards,

Rich

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
2. Make a cheap bore guide out of a spent cartridge case by drilling out the primer pocket slightly larger than the rod diameter. Then insert the rod thru the hole, insert the jag or slotted tip into the bore and push the case into the chamber. Then push the rod thru. It won't touch the sides of the bore. The guide comes out with the rod when you withdraw it.

A spent case is a great bore guide and have been a tool of mine for years. Sometimes though you have to bump the case out from the front.

Follow up by cleaning your chamber with a short piece of shotgun rod and a .410 mop.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
If, if you carried the rifle in a gun case, the one-piece rod should have gotten there right next to it. Multi-piece rods have a very good record with regard to having been made out of soft metal, and gouging the rifling. Screw one together and just slide your fingernail down the length. Notice anything? Rich

How do you scratch steel with aluminum??? dancing

It is a myth...I have been a machinist/mold maker for 23 years. I know a bit about metals/steel and what cuts them the best/worst.

The joints collect the "CRAP" that you are trying to clean out that is the main flaw.

A multi piece rod needs to be made of a softer metal than that of the 4100 sieries barrel steel ....alluminum, or brass is the choice.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buliwyf,

how did they get your big butt on a "tiny" airplane? They flying micro-lights where you hunt these days?
Any case big enough to carry two rifles is big enough to carry a one-piece cleaning rod between them. You will likely NEVER see a multi-piece cleaning rod used anywhere in competition. That's a get-together where being able to hit your target every shot counts.
It's no disgrace to be ignorant, but don't make a career out of it.

A piece of one inch pvc pipe with glue on cap at one end and a screw on one on the other is a great place to stick one, and it actually helps keep a softcase from flexing as much.
regards,

Rich

Your advice is crap because you have limited to no experience and no technical understanding. You can stick your pvc pipe right up your ass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess ten years as a staff columnist at Precision Shooting Magazine, and a top-90 (out of 387 shooters) at the Super Shoot (never saw a multi-piece cleaning rod) with a borrowed rifle, and top scores in the bench half at several Schuetzenfest National Championships, and looking at a number of benchrest barrels scored by the grime carried in the joints of multi-piece rods on borescopes, or advice from people like Alan Hall and Ed Shilen and Dan Lilja and a couple dozen benchrest and long range accuracy gunsmiths is pretty piddly compared to your extensive experience sitting in front of your computer monitor or flying in tiny airplanes too small to stick a one-piece cleaning rod in. You ever make it to a Super Shoot you will see hundreds of one-piece cleaning rods being carried in the pvc rod cases. Those guys, like myself, are so dumb we use separate rods for cleaning patches and brushes and use electrical contact cleaner in spray cans to clean the rods between passes.

Being ignorant is okay, but try not to make a career out of it.

regards,

Rich