Find
Notify
Tools

Which rod do you use?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the usual butchlambert ad hominem.
YOU go check the hardness of carbon fibre & get back to me instead of posting unsubstantiated & physically impossible BS.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that we had another genius on this forum that likes the ad homo expression. I see you have never stepped foot in a machine shop or tried to machine carbon fiber. I'll post a link for you to read. Then I will accept an apology.

http://www.practicalmachinist....carbon-fibre-229590/

If you need additional info I will supply it for you. You are like a few other idiots that think it is like a lubricant.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A post from another gun forum
LHSmith

* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* Private Message
* View Blog Entries
* View Articles
* Add as Contact

LHSmith is offline Registered User

This is your opinion.

Not opinion, it's a fact. A local shooter here had one snap and still suffers from tendon damage to his hand.....ever see how jagged and splintery a CF rod looks after snapping? I have posted this on several forums in the past, but some still argue that CF rods are the best thing going. Also, if one reads the customer reviews on the various vendor websites one will find that the smaller diameter CF rods are notorious for snapping.
I believe it would be extremely difficult to bend a properly sized for caliber, HARDENED STEEL quality rod like Ivy, Bore-tech, or Dewey in normal usage.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parker-Hale coated

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one God gave me. Wink

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Tipton and Lucas guides.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
YOU go check the hardness of carbon fibre & get back to me instead of posting unsubstantiated & physically impossible BS.

With respect, anyone who has had a carbon fibre arrow shatter will tell you that it is a sobering experience.

But more properly on topic, my most used rods are stainless steel and I keep them scrupulously clean with Autosol. I use drilled out cases as bore guides. My rods are branded Parker Hale and whoever made them did a fine job. The smallest calibre I shoot regularly is .375 and I find the larger bores very easy to maintain.

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hardness is often the handmaiden of brittleness. In carbon fiber, at least as it is used in cleaning rods, and arrows, apparently, this is a truism. You can only fool me twice. I bought ---and shattered two carbon fiber rods--one inexpensive one and one that really pissed me off since it was so expensive. Now I use the coated Deweys and Sinclair guides.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use Proshot stainless. Works without bending

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Ivy &/or Bore Stix rods.

I tried pushing a jag/patch & carbon rod once-
I intentionally snapped it in half to take it out of circulation.

I'll leave the carbon rods for the weekend warriors!!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mostly Ivys and I have a pair of Pro Shot.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
When I as a little kid, I used whatever I could get...jointed brass, aluminum, or steel (iron?) rods....even a few wood ones. In the military I learned to prefer the one-piece, brass handled, steel rods they issued us for use by the whole platoon which we called "caliber .30 barracks rods".

When I became a high-power competition shooter, for a decade I used Parker-Hale plastic coated rods. But I stopped using them after a bit because the Sweets 7.62 solvent I used not only removed copper, it removed the plastic coating of the rods. And underneath, they are plain, unpolished raw steel with a rather rough finish.

Then I went to Dewey's highly polished stainless rods. If they are of the proper bore size, used properly, they don't bend or break when my hands are the ones using them. (I ALWAYS use rod guides.)

Then, in about the middle of my benchrest days, I changed to Pro-Shots. No particular reason except they were easily available and I like their easy spinning handles maybe a wee tad better than the Dewey's.

My experience with carbon fibre composite deep sea fishing rods long ago convinced me I would never use gun cleaning rods made of that or similar material. It is very stiff, and very strong...to a point. Beyond that point in my hands it is a disaster waiting to happen.

My Pro-Shots work fine for me and have for over almost two decades now. Why use a risky material to fix something what ain't broke?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Dewey one piece vinyl coated and lucas bore guides.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I have Dewey stainless and coated rods, and use bore guides too.

Frankly I'd be surprised to see anyone who has much experience working with carbon fiber using it as a cleaning rod.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evan K,
I have been taken to the shed for saying to stay away from carbon fiber cleaning rods. I've been told how strong they are and that carbon fiber is a lubricant and can't hurt a barrel.
If they had machined as much graphite and carbon fiber as I had, they would know better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Dewey, mostly out of habit. They've worked for the last 40 years, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. I always use a bore guide from Sinclair.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tipton carbon fiber rods for the rifles, and aluminum or steel one piece deals for the pistols.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
May I change my Opinion from above and some time ago?

I like now DEWEY!

But still the BRASS ones!

Dewey quality, BRASS one piece rods, .22 and .30 cals, and they have the CORRECT thread size, too!

8 -32 without any §$%&#*!!! Adaptors!

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Dewey, I have about 6 of them in different sizes.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I use a rod and thats not often as I'm a fan of the boresnakes, but say twice a year per gun I only use one piece stainless steel rods..SS does not pick up grit like brass or other materials..I don't trust carbon fiber and I believe it to be abrasive and have discussed this with many benchrest shooters and gunsmiths, and have bowed to their expertise on the subject...Just my opine and its what I do.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Ray

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I made my own cleaning rods from stainless steel. I use manufactured tips but the rods are mine. I also made custom chamber guides so the rod won't mar the chambers. They are not made from stainless but from a plastic material that is not affected by the solvents and oils. It looks like nylon but seems denser.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote