ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan and PH Johann Biewenga TRUTHFUL PARODY ADDED!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
So for his sake, I trust he did NOT get paid directly or indirectly, and I also trust that rifle in the photos was a loaner and not a rifle imported by him ...

And it appears none of the above has been proven either way by anyone.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

That is a valid point. It is also a valid point that a properly licensed PH was there. It seems to me if anyone has a problem,it is Sullivan . Why is this any different that PHs from the RSA going to Zimbabwe with a properly licensed Zim PH? It happens all the time yet there it no where near this level of conflict.

While I think some of the parody was funny, I do think some crossed the line. I realize you have a great dislike for MS for some reason. I am not sure why entirely. I get it to a certain extent. I have personally told Mark that the biggest single issue I have with his methods is not shooting the wounded critters as soon as he sees them.

I think some of these issues result from misunderstandings. Let me give you an example. I tell every PH that if I shoot and they do not believe that the shot was fatal to fire away immediately especially on DG. I do not want anyone hurt or killed. I realize that everyone does not feel that way. Guess what? Many of Sullivan’s have told him the same thing. He complies with their wishes yet gets bashed for doing so. Misunderstanding ? I think so. That is my opinion . Others may disagree. That is fine. I respect their opinion.

It is one thing to disagree. It is quite another to take to a level that could conceivably wreck someone’s life. I think we should all think about that before we post.

Good evening gentlemen.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen one of Sullivan's videos.I enjoyed watching it.The only thing I found questionable about his method is what seemed like a client's hurried first shot or the lack of effort put into making the client's first shot count.For example the client is seen not using a rest and being encouraged to make a quick offhand shot at what looked like distances over 50yds.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Todd,

Simple question.

Do you not see that Shawn has promoted hunts with Mark Sullivan, with several clients, when Mark is not licensed to conduct these hunts??

When you read Cal’s hunt report, do you not get the impression that Mark Sullivan is the man conducting the hunt?

I understand some professional hunters in South Africa are most definitely not happy about this!

Saeed, first and foremost, I'm just not obsessed with Mark Sullivan. It's a topic that seems to consume you to a point that you often loose composure over it. I simply do not understand that from a man of your stature. I suggest that you are a bigger man than that behavior represents.

Viewing the RSA matter from that standpoint, I can honestly say I don't know the level of involvement Mark has on these hunts. I've not booked one and haven't participated in one. Does it appear that Mark is in the field with rifle in hand on these hunts. Yes it does APPEAR to be the case. But that doesn't prove that Mark is conducting an illegal hunt. It doesn't prove Mark is conducting anything other than a marketing event.

As Cal stated, Johann Biewenga was the licensed PH on the hunt. It appears to me that Johann is the responsible party. Responsible for organizing the tracker, the camp staff, maintaining the licensing of the hunting vehicle, ensuring the hunting paperwork is in order, etc. ... you know, all those things a PH does in order to "run the show" so to speak. Did Shawn market a hunt "with Mark Sullivan", well I didn't actually see the advertisement but it appears that is the case. However, again, that doesn't mean a hunt "conducted by Mark Sullivan as PH". Regardless of Cal's report, which by the way, you do realize his is doing his best to troll you since you're so sensitive about Sullivan, but I digress, it appears to me that Johann is the guy in charge of the hunt and he is present at all times with the hunting party in the field. Mark may very well be offering advice and direction to the client, as long as it is in compliance with what Johann directs to be done. But I don't know that for a fact. I also don't know whether or not Mark is carrying a rifle as a paying client of Johann's as well and he and Cal are simply hunting 2x1 with Johann as the PH. For that matter, regardless of the photos, I'm not 100% certain Mark is even carrying a rifle in the field at all, although I suspect he is. Point is, I don't know and neither do you.

In other words, there are many scenarios under which these hunts could be operating. I'm simply not prepared to start accusing people of participating in criminal activity without full knowledge of the arrangements. I suspect you don't know the full story either. I know Mark put out a video a few years back, maybe 3 or 4 years ago? where he was hunting RSA captive bred lions along with another client and a PH off to the side and often behind the camera. That seemed to be a similar arrangement as Cal's hunt. I suspect that if there was anything illegal about the exact arrangements of the hunts he's been involved with, that the proper authorities have looked into it and if he is still involved with these hunts, a decision of legality has been made? Just pointing out that Cal's hunt isn't a new thing so I'm sure the matter has been looked into, especially since Mark is involved and is a character of high profile.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Larry ,

There is a world of difference between other professional hunters backing up their clients, and Sullivan gloating in the fact that a wounded buffalo is right there for him to set up his cameras for his self glorification.

How come it is Sullivan that shoots these buffalo, not the client who wounded them?

His whole point is to show how brave he is - read what I posted above, from his own mouth!

I have always objected to the South African hunters tagging along on hunts In Zimbabwe.

But those hunts were never advertised here.

No one posted a hunt report that he had hunted in one of Zimbabwe’s parks with a South African professional hunter.

Shawn advertised one of his hunts here - link above - and I pointed it out to him, after a professional hunter from South Africa notified me that it was most certainly illegal for Sullivan to conduct hunts there.

Then Shawn comes again and posts that several buffalo were taken by clients with Sullivan!

Shawn and Cal can do whatever they wish with Sullivan, I could not really careless.

But keep it away from here.

Crooks, fakes and liars are certainly not welcome here.

And all three have proven to me that they nothing but crooks and liars!

Someone asked me about the Lacey Act.

I have no idea.

But I understand it involves any American participating in ILLEGAL HUNTING ACTIVITIES.

Sullivan guiding clients - again, read Cal’s report, as well as Shawn’s posts.

Shawn leaves absolutely no doubt in the readers mind that the offered hunt IS WITH MARK SULLIVAN AS THE PROFESSIONAL HUNTER, and gets paid for it, I am sure the advert was not for a free farm hunt.

We have some people here who seem to want to bury this, with all sorts of silly excuses.

These same individuals would have been up in arms if the same situation involved another booking agent representing another professional hunter.

There are many honest professional hunters here. Gentlemen with class, who are a credit to their profession. I don’t hear many of them shooting charging buffalo.

And we have many honest booking agents, who would never dream of offering something as bare faced lies as Shawn does, repeatedly!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Njati:
quote:
Let's be real here. Saeed's hatred for Sullivan is long established. His vitriol on this particular thread to that end demonstrate nothing short of a loss of personal composure, regardless of whether you are a fan or a foe of Sullivan.

Cal listed the name of the licensed PH. I'm sure the paperwork is all in order as such and the PH was present in the field and with the hunting party the entire time.

But the real point I'm making is that when the man who runs one of the, if not THE No. 1 hunting forums, and specifically African hunting forums, starts using his position of influence to possibly induce a trumped up (pardon the term) charge against Cal, a charge that could irreparably ruin the man's life for good, solely based on his hatred of a man in camp, with no proof that any violation actually occurred, well I say that has a chilling effect.

So Saeed has broached the subject of a Lacy Act Violation. My question is, is that all he's done or intends to do? I'm sure he knows people of influence that could cause this issue to go further than a simple post on Cal's thread. What are his intentions along those lines? From his responses on this thread so far, I'm not sure the level of vindictiveness to do so is beyond him.

I think it’s safe to say that he didn’t take well to being called a midget

I'm not sure why you would quote me in your statement. I never called Saeed a midget.

In fact, I stated the opposite. I stated that it is a cause for concern when a man of his stature, as administrator of the premiere African hunting forum lets his hatred for one person (Sullivan) drive a level of vitriol that would insinuate that a well respected member (Cal) is guilty of a Lacy Act violation simply because they hunted out of the same camp at the same time and Cal purchased a hunt based on the fact that Sullivan would in fact be present.

Before the righteous indignation gets even further out of hand, let's consider a few things, shall we?

I've brought this up numerous times in these discussions where the claim is that Sullivan always shoots his clients' animals for them. Yep, in his videos, he often does shoot first in the follow up or at least at the same time as the client. And he's vilified for it. My good friend Dave Fulson, along with his partner, Tim, of Safari Classics, produce what I consider to be some of the best African hunting videos around. Some of their footage has some interesting comparisons however.

Check out the Boddington on Buffalo video. In it, you'll see highly respected PH Andrew Dawson do exactly the same thing. The video has several wounded buffalo follow up sequences. You'll be surprised by the number of times in that video where Dawson fires the first shot at the wounded buff during the follow ups. You'll also notice the number of times he fires a split second after the client does on the initial shot, as "insurance". In fact, it's been awhile since I watched it but I believe he does this on every hunt he guides on the video with the exception of the 2 buff taken by Boddington himself. Has anyone here accused Dawson of shooting the clients' animals for them?

A little more. Ivan Carter. Highly regarded on this forum. Yet on Boddington on Elephant, there is a very bizarre sequence where he is guiding a fellow who wears a tin foil lined ball cap. That in itself is strange but the bizarre part is right after the client drops the bull with a close up frontal brain shot, Ivan leads the client as they run and jump up on top of the downed elephant's head whereby Ivan instructs the client to shoot straight down, between his feet, into the elephant's head for the insurance shot. Then they congratulate each other while standing on the head. Is that abhorrent hunting behavior? Anyone called Ivan out for it? How many episodes are there where Ivan presses tuskless cows to the point of inducing a charge so as to get good video footage? I do know for a fact that that little tidbit has been discussed here before but I don't remember it being directed toward Ivan personally.

Many of the same guys who claim Sullivan's method of immediately walking up to a wounded buffalo to see if it will charge have absolutely no objection to the time tested and approved method of sitting down for a 30 minute smoke break to allow the wounded buff to "stiffen up" prior to going in after it. Sullivan has argued that his method actually dispatches the animal quicker. Truth? At least plausible so I give him a pass on this issue. I understand others may not. It's debatable.

Here's some hard truth boys. Most of us who have been inspired to take a rifle to Africa have been influenced by flawed men who embellished the story or somehow found a way to be noticed above and beyond their contemporaries. Hemingway - a drunk who committed suicide. Ruark - a drunk who died of liver failure. Surely no one here would ever contemplate that Ruark embellished his stories? Right? I mean, when is the last time you owed a Buffalo money? Do you really think a buffalo looks at you with contempt? To do so would insinuate that the animal is capable of rational thought! As in "Choosing how he is to die"! Capstick? A fraud? It's been debated here many times. But he sure captured the fancy of many with stories with intriguing names like "Death in the Long Grass".

Many of the ivory hunters we all admire were poachers, pure and simple. Either by today's standards and often by the standards of the day in which they operated. Foran, Nyschens, Taylor, even Bell. Yet we give all of them a pass, even Nyschens who practiced poaching relatively recently. None of them embraced the Conservation through Hunting mentality.

The fact is that like Sullivan, all of these men were responsible for generating interest in hunting the continent and also like Sullivan, they all had less than perfect methods by which they accomplished this influence.

These Sullivan threads are always a source of great entertainment for me. It's entertaining to watch the level of hysteria the anti Sullivan crowd generates as they spool up in their righteous indignation and claims of moral superiority by standing against Sullivan's so called "repugnant" hunting methods. Entertaining that is, right up to the point that the vitriol causes a highly influential man to make false insinuations of legal violations that can ruin a good man's life. I will also say Cal went over the line with some of the insults, even "said with a smile" as a parody. I would hope both parties, and respective camps for that matter, would take a couple of steps back and cooler heads would prevail.

Sorry Todd, I didn’t mean to say that you had referred to him as a midget, what I meant was that maybe the fact that he was called a midget in an earlier post by Cal has brought about his desire to bring up the Lacy Act and it’s violation. Maybe it touched a nerve somewhere for him to actually mention the lacy act and it’s violation.

I can speak from my experiences in Zambia and there are a lot of operators who have hunts booked in their areas by clients and PHs from abroad that use local PHs to ‘sit in’ and conform with the law. I feel that since this is Mark Sullivan involved it has been blown out of proportion just as everything else is with regards to him.

This issue of foreign PHs without licences who hide behind local PHs and hunt in their areas should not be brought up as it is a seriously smelly can of worms and a lot of people would get exposed who are reputable outfitters and PHs on this forum.

I feel as though it is justified when other PHs do it but anything that MS does, right or wrong, takes a different meaning and is blown right out of proportion!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Let's be real here. Saeed's hatred for Sullivan is long established. His vitriol on this particular thread to that end demonstrate nothing short of a loss of personal composure, regardless of whether you are a fan or a foe of Sullivan.

Cal listed the name of the licensed PH. I'm sure the paperwork is all in order as such and the PH was present in the field and with the hunting party the entire time.

But the real point I'm making is that when the man who runs one of the, if not THE No. 1 hunting forums, and specifically African hunting forums, starts using his position of influence to possibly induce a trumped up (pardon the term) charge against Cal, a charge that could irreparably ruin the man's life for good, solely based on his hatred of a man in camp, with no proof that any violation actually occurred, well I say that has a chilling effect.

So Saeed has broached the subject of a Lacy Act Violation. My question is, is that all he's done or intends to do? I'm sure he knows people of influence that could cause this issue to go further than a simple post on Cal's thread. What are his intentions along those lines? From his responses on this thread so far, I'm not sure the level of vindictiveness to do so is beyond him.

I think it’s safe to say that he didn’t take well to being called a midget

I'm not sure why you would quote me in your statement. I never called Saeed a midget.

In fact, I stated the opposite. I stated that it is a cause for concern when a man of his stature, as administrator of the premiere African hunting forum lets his hatred for one person (Sullivan) drive a level of vitriol that would insinuate that a well respected member (Cal) is guilty of a Lacy Act violation simply because they hunted out of the same camp at the same time and Cal purchased a hunt based on the fact that Sullivan would in fact be present.

Before the righteous indignation gets even further out of hand, let's consider a few things, shall we?

I've brought this up numerous times in these discussions where the claim is that Sullivan always shoots his clients' animals for them. Yep, in his videos, he often does shoot first in the follow up or at least at the same time as the client. And he's vilified for it. My good friend Dave Fulson, along with his partner, Tim, of Safari Classics, produce what I consider to be some of the best African hunting videos around. Some of their footage has some interesting comparisons however.

Check out the Boddington on Buffalo video. In it, you'll see highly respected PH Andrew Dawson do exactly the same thing. The video has several wounded buffalo follow up sequences. You'll be surprised by the number of times in that video where Dawson fires the first shot at the wounded buff during the follow ups. You'll also notice the number of times he fires a split second after the client does on the initial shot, as "insurance". In fact, it's been awhile since I watched it but I believe he does this on every hunt he guides on the video with the exception of the 2 buff taken by Boddington himself. Has anyone here accused Dawson of shooting the clients' animals for them?

A little more. Ivan Carter. Highly regarded on this forum. Yet on Boddington on Elephant, there is a very bizarre sequence where he is guiding a fellow who wears a tin foil lined ball cap. That in itself is strange but the bizarre part is right after the client drops the bull with a close up frontal brain shot, Ivan leads the client as they run and jump up on top of the downed elephant's head whereby Ivan instructs the client to shoot straight down, between his feet, into the elephant's head for the insurance shot. Then they congratulate each other while standing on the head. Is that abhorrent hunting behavior? Anyone called Ivan out for it? How many episodes are there where Ivan presses tuskless cows to the point of inducing a charge so as to get good video footage? I do know for a fact that that little tidbit has been discussed here before but I don't remember it being directed toward Ivan personally.

Many of the same guys who claim Sullivan's method of immediately walking up to a wounded buffalo to see if it will charge have absolutely no objection to the time tested and approved method of sitting down for a 30 minute smoke break to allow the wounded buff to "stiffen up" prior to going in after it. Sullivan has argued that his method actually dispatches the animal quicker. Truth? At least plausible so I give him a pass on this issue. I understand others may not. It's debatable.

Here's some hard truth boys. Most of us who have been inspired to take a rifle to Africa have been influenced by flawed men who embellished the story or somehow found a way to be noticed above and beyond their contemporaries. Hemingway - a drunk who committed suicide. Ruark - a drunk who died of liver failure. Surely no one here would ever contemplate that Ruark embellished his stories? Right? I mean, when is the last time you owed a Buffalo money? Do you really think a buffalo looks at you with contempt? To do so would insinuate that the animal is capable of rational thought! As in "Choosing how he is to die"! Capstick? A fraud? It's been debated here many times. But he sure captured the fancy of many with stories with intriguing names like "Death in the Long Grass".

Many of the ivory hunters we all admire were poachers, pure and simple. Either by today's standards and often by the standards of the day in which they operated. Foran, Nyschens, Taylor, even Bell. Yet we give all of them a pass, even Nyschens who practiced poaching relatively recently. None of them embraced the Conservation through Hunting mentality.

The fact is that like Sullivan, all of these men were responsible for generating interest in hunting the continent and also like Sullivan, they all had less than perfect methods by which they accomplished this influence.

These Sullivan threads are always a source of great entertainment for me. It's entertaining to watch the level of hysteria the anti Sullivan crowd generates as they spool up in their righteous indignation and claims of moral superiority by standing against Sullivan's so called "repugnant" hunting methods. Entertaining that is, right up to the point that the vitriol causes a highly influential man to make false insinuations of legal violations that can ruin a good man's life. I will also say Cal went over the line with some of the insults, even "said with a smile" as a parody. I would hope both parties, and respective camps for that matter, would take a couple of steps back and cooler heads would prevail.

Sorry Todd, I didn’t mean to say that you had referred to him as a midget, what I meant was that maybe the fact that he was called a midget in an earlier post by Cal has brought about his desire to bring up the Lacy Act and it’s violation. Maybe it touched a nerve somewhere for him to actually mention the lacy act and it’s violation.

I can speak from my experiences in Zambia and there are a lot of operators who have hunts booked in their areas by clients and PHs from abroad that use local PHs to ‘sit in’ and conform with the law. I feel that since this is Mark Sullivan involved it has been blown out of proportion just as everything else is with regards to him.

This issue of foreign PHs without licences who hide behind local PHs and hunt in their areas should not be brought up as it is a seriously smelly can of worms and a lot of people would get exposed who are reputable outfitters and PHs on this forum.

I feel as though it is justified when other PHs do it but anything that MS does, right or wrong, takes a different meaning and is blown right out of proportion!

Njati, I thought the reference to my quote might be the case as you described above. Didn't mean to call you out on it but as much as anything, I wanted to state that I didn't make the insult to Saeed.

I think the remainder of your post is 100% spot on. It's good to see a level headed post on the subject from a guy on the ground in the area.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Show me any hunt offered here that names one professional hunter in the offer, while another one is providing the presence to make it legal.

In Shawn case, the hunt is titled as being conducted by Mark Sullivan.

It is sold as such.

It is not a hunt offered to a client by legal professional hunter, and advertised as such, and the client chooses to bring his own profession huntervto be present!

There is a world of difference between the two.

Why do you think some professional hunters in South Africa objected to Shawn’s advert??

Because it specifically said HUNT WITH MARK SULLIVAN!

It is being sold as such.

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
This thread was started largely with a view towards creating entertainment and controversy (e.g., all the pre-post banter on not being banned, warpaths, etc.). Congrats. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If any country had a problem with the way the hunt was conducted they would have made a law that would not allow a PH of another country to be present on a hunt.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I have some pics to post of all members of the hunt party but Imgur won't take the pics. The site seems to be locked. If any of you gent will post them for me I will email them to you. My email is <pappas@mtaonline.net> I depart for a caribou hunt tomorrow but, until then, I will keep trying.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed you must be a lot different than some folks, but many people when describing an activity they were involved in such as hunting or fishing or whatever will include everyone in the party, even if that person spent the whole time sitting on their ass in camp.

They were considered being on the hunt/fishing trip, even though they never left camp.

Lora has been with me on several of my elk hunts with me but with the exception of one time when we put in for her a cow tag. she never left camp.

I am beginning to think the whole report with the inclusion of Mark Sullivan being along was designed to see you go totally ballistic.

Everyone on here knows of your hatred of the man, I just don't think they knew the level of that hatred.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Saeed you must be a lot different than some folks, but many people when describing an activity they were involved in such as hunting or fishing or whatever will include everyone in the party, even if that person spent the whole time sitting on their ass in camp.

They were considered being on the hunt/fishing trip, even though they never left camp.

Lora has been with me on several of my elk hunts with me but with the exception of one time when we put in for her a cow tag. she never left camp.

I am beginning to think the whole report with the inclusion of Mark Sullivan being along was designed to see you go totally ballistic.

Everyone on here knows of your hatred of the man, I just don't think they knew the level of that hatred.

Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gentlemen:
Here is my buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan. However, you will get a slightly shorter version as a new magazine, Africa’s Sportsman, wants me to be a regular contributor in all things double. (Rifles, guys, not breasts).

I spent five days at Basie Kuhn’s Haakdoorn Safaris ranch/farm. It was a living stage play with the actors being:

Mark Sullivan—PH and SA tour guide.
Cal Pappas—hunter from Alaska.
Basie Kuhn—owner of Haakdoorn Safaris.
Angela—Basie’s lovely wife.
Basie and Angela’s three daughters—Chene’ (17), Shayla (14), Sheena (10).
Johann Biewenga—farm manager and SA PH registered for both plains and dangerous game.
Joey—Johann’s lovely wife
Stefan Fouche’—1/3 owner of the African’s Sportsman magazine, there to get the story.
Andrew Tolmay—camera man and 1/3 owner of the AS magazine, there to video the hunt.
Clarence Voyles

Do you have a problem reading? if not read read this again,maybe you missed it the first time around,Cal clearly states that Mark was the PH on this hunt!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
quote:

Gentlemen:
Here is my buffalo hunt with Mark Sullivan. However, you will get a slightly shorter version as a new magazine, Africa’s Sportsman, wants me to be a regular contributor in all things double. (Rifles, guys, not breasts).

I spent five days at Basie Kuhn’s Haakdoorn Safaris ranch/farm. It was a living stage play with the actors being:

Johann Biewenga—farm manager and SA PH registered for both plains and dangerous game.
Stefan Fouche’—1/3 owner of the African’s Sportsman magazine, there to get the story.
Andrew Tolmay—camera man and 1/3 owner of the AS magazine, there to video the hunt.
Clarence Voyles

Do you have a problem reading? if not read read this again,maybe you missed it the first time around,Cal clearly states that Mark was the PH on this hunt!!

No, he does not state that. I read it very clearly.

Cal clearly states Mark is a PH and SA tour guide.

Does not say he's a SA PH. He is in fact a Tanzania PH. Fact. He's a PH. Doesn't mean he THE PH for this hunt.

He also states Johann is the registered SA PH.

I do not see where it states Mark is the PH conducting the hunt. You are reading something into Cal's post that simply isn't there.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Todd: You are incorrect. Big Grin It says: "Mark Sullivan-PH and SA Tour Guide". It does NOT say 'Mark Sullivan-a PH and SA Tour Guide'. It could easily be misconstrued that Sullivan is either the PH or one of the PHs; at best it would be somewhat confusing. Big Grin You should pick your words carefully and accurately when posting anything here on AR. Big Grin Not having that little 'a' in the post like you suggested was there, might have made some difference in Cal's intent. Big Grin Maybe Cal should have said that Sullivan was a Tanzanian PH and SA Tour Guide, but he clearly did not. Now, if you take out PH and spell it out instead of abbreviate it, it would read: 'Mark Sullivan-Professional Hunter and South African Tour Guide'. That too, could be construed by someone in a number of different ways. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I hunted several times and two countries with friends who are doctors. They were with me and held the coveted title of MD. I didn't see the need to be specific and state they were not licensed to practice medicine in SA or Zim. Gentlemen, we are splittng hairs here.

I was drawn to this hunt because of Mark. I get in the mail, email, and read on the internet of many hunt offers. I pass them by for a number of reasons as I'm sure you all do here. Had I read of this hunt with the ranch owner or the SA PH I would not have given it any thought as I did not know them. (Now I do know them and hope to return to hunt there next year for all of the pleasant reasons given in my first post). I did not learn of this hunt from Shawn's report.

Mark called me about 15 months ago inviting me to South Africa. I could not go in 2017 as two weeks prior I booked a bull elephant hunt in Zimbabwe so I had to defer until 2018.

I don't know the details of Mark and the ranch owner, Basie. I do know Basie hunted with Mark (I believe) three times in Tanzania and they have a close friendship. His daughters call Mark Uncle Mark. I don't know any details of their association other than what I mentioned here.

I took this time to go with Mark as Tanzania is a bit out of my reach at present and wanted to share a camp with him. I knew from the outset the SA PH was to be there as well as the two gents from the magazine. They, and others, were with me on the hunt, but only one was licensed to contuct the hunt and he was present at all times. You will have to take my word on this as well as my word that myself, nor the hunter to follow me, paid Mark anything.

I am still trying to post pics of all of us here but Imgur seems to be down since yesterday evening when I first tried.

I am departing tomorrow for caribou. I was going to put on a rebuttal to some posts but I will pass. My negative comments before came as a rebuttal and I know that was not correct behavior. I should have posted as I would like to be posted to, not as I was posted at. I know I let a few of my AR friends here down and I aplologize for that. I also asked for a truce with Saeed. Maybe that will come.

Anyway, it is what it is but one thing is for sure: Saeed won't change his feelings toward Mark, I won't change my firendship or admiration for Mark, and Mark will continue doing what he has been doing for nearly 30 years.

Cheers, mates, and I will pick this up when I return.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the breather Cal. Big Grin Enjoy your Caribou hunt and shoot a good one! tu2 It'll be up to 12 pages when you return. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Imgur is on again. If it will help clear things up.

Of these pics, you all know Mark, Clarence is in tan shirt, Basie in jeans and the green cap, Stefan in the green hat, Andrew the cameraman, and the PH Johann in the green shorts and shirt and black hat. Johann was with me every day I was there, on the hunt and elsewhere.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gentlemen:

Clarence Voyles

No, he does not state that. I read it very clearly.

Cal clearly states Mark is a PH and SA tour guide.

Does not say he's a SA PH. He is in fact a Tanzania PH. Fact. He's a PH. Doesn't mean he THE PH for this hunt.

He also states Johann is the registered SA PH.

I do not see where it states Mark is the PH conducting the hunt. You are reading something into Cal's post that simply isn't there.

Todd,
Good to know that you do have a sense of humor,read your own hunt reports & others posted by so many here,PH is always mentioned in the same format as Cal mentioned his Ph on this hunt.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, why doesn't someone get the proper authotities involved and if any illegalities occurred let the guilty suffer the consequences! It is really that simple folks and this little melodrama can be brought to an end!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Why bring it to an end? It’s good for at least 8 pages of entertainment. rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem is, it has gone beyond the Entertaining stage.

Entertaining is when everyone is getting a laugh.

When getting the authorities involved, it stops being entertaining because those folks do not have a sense of humor.

As in any human interactions, there are fine lines that can be crossed unintentionally but once crossed can not be uncrossed.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
10 HUNTS ARE AVAILABLE WITH THE LEGENDARY PROFESSIONAL HUNTER MARK SULLIVAN FOR BUFFALO IN 2017 IN SOUTH AFRICA!

Read the above hunt offer.

If you do not see that Mark Sullivan is being sold as the professional hunter guiding the hunts, I suggest you get your heads out where they can see daylight!

And to finally put a nail in this coffin of utter lies!

================

"...
I wanted to let the African Big Game Hunting forum visitors know that we are now marketing a 2017 Cape buffalo hunting opportunity in South Africa. This is a chance to hunt with Mark at a much lower price point than Tanzania. Here is a link with details. There is contact info for those that might be interested and want more hunt information or to book..."

"...INCLUDED with Every Hunt!

1. Signed limited edition leather bound book “Death and Double Rifles!” A $300 value.
2. Two of Mark’s DVDs. A $100 value.
3. Each client will be given the opportunity to shoot Mark’s personal .577 Nitro Express double rifle. The one he uses on safari. One shot – one time! Value: A memory that will last your lifetime!
4. Signed autographed 8X10 photograph of your trophy with Mark, framed. Value: Priceless!

Now is the time to reserve your safari of a lifetime and hunt with the man himself. Make no mistake, hunting with Mark is an adventure of a lifetime. Not only will you have a great hunt but hanging around Mark is an experience you have to see to believe. He will keep you laughing and entertained from sunup to sunset. You will come away with a unique perspective as to the proper way to hunt dangerous game as told by a true living legend. Mark doesn’t cut corners and will give 100% to this hunt just as he does for every hunt. Mark is branching out and is now guiding in Alaska for big brown bears and in Mexico for huge Mule deer bucks. Just how many more years Mark will hunt Africa is anyone’s guess. All we can say is Mark has committed to us for this year and we’re happy to have him. Sign up today…you’ll be glad you did!

Total Cost 1X1 Safari with Mark Sullivan: $12,500.00 USD (Under 40” Bull), $15,000.00 USD (40” and larger Bull) ..."

=============================

Anyone still has reading and comprehending the English language??

Does this leave any doubt at all, that Mark Sullivan is being employed, and paid, in South Africa, on a farm, to conduct hunts while he is NOT licensed or LEGAL?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised he doesn't sell his dirty safari shirts too...sorry...could not keep myself.. Smiler

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
I am surprised he doesn't sell his dirty safari shirts too...sorry...could not keep myself.. Smiler

Someone else did that if I remember rightly.

With the clueless cheerleaders we have here, may be Shawn can start selling Sullivan's undergarments now rotflmo

He has already convinced them that selling ILLEGAL hunts is NOT illegal.

I have no idea what he will be promoting Mark Sullivan as next?

Stay tuned, Shawn and Cal will NOT disappoint us clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve read the thread with interest.
MS is a PH and was in attendance. He was also nominated as the SA tour guide.
The SA PH was also noted as Johann Biewenga.
The ranch owner was there as well.

I just don’t see any issue of illegality in this at all......

Either in the hunt offer or the way it was run.

Posts: 47 | Location: Here and there ....... | Registered: 27 February 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PIPE:
I’ve read the thread with interest.
MS is a PH and was in attendance. He was also nominated as the SA tour guide.
The SA PH was also noted as Johann Biewenga.
The ranch owner was there as well.

I just don’t see any issue of illegality in this at all......

Either in the hunt offer or the way it was run.

Can you believe it!

Even here on AR as Mark Sullivan hero worshipers are lying and cheating!!

Why are you using two separate IDs to post on this very thread??

Are you really that stupid to think we could not see it?

I suppose we have to cut you some slack, as you do not seem to comprehend simple English!

We do not allow one person to use two separate IDs on AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal

Did you tip Mark Sullivan ?

If you did tip Mark Sullivan, how did you do it in relation of the tip to the legal ph?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
...INCLUDED with Every Hunt!

1. Signed limited edition leather bound book “Death and Double Rifles!” A $300 value. OK I like a good book as much as the next guy
2. Two of Mark’s DVDs. A $100 value. Meh barf ......
3. Each client will be given the opportunity to shoot Mark’s personal .577 Nitro Express double rifle. The one he uses on safari. One shot – one time! Value: A memory that will last your lifetime! Really....a chance to have one shot of this guys rifle?
4. Signed autographed 8X10 photograph of your trophy with Mark, framed. Value: Priceless! FARK ME.....a photo of YOUR trophy with some other guy.....be still my beating heart... rotflmo

That IS as bad as trying to sell Boddingtons used safari shirts dancing

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tony,

You and me, and hunters like us, are not able to understand this.

It is far beyond our comprehension level, thank God! clap

Try to see the brainless snowflakes who worship the likes of that dysfunctional family, the Kardashians, or the teenage snowflakes who go to a Bieber's concert just to see "their" hero, and you will see the stark similarity between them.

What they have in common is lack of normal, human, functions as simple as not able to understand the English language!

That old saying "give a stupid idiot enough rope, and he will hang himself" is in evidence right here! rotflmo

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'm afraid I don't go for the hero worship stuff. I mean take a photo with him if you want. The photo's I have of Dylan, Walter, the crew and I around my buff are ones I'll treasure for the rest of my life. But to use a photo of MS with your trophy, and framed no less, (I do hope the hunter is in it as well Big Grin) as a selling point makes me laugh.

Now don't get me wrong, if MS started pissing bourbon and shitting gold nuggets I'll worship the hell out of him, but until then..... sofa

ps.....do you get to pick the frame or does MS do that? popcorn

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Yeah I'm afraid I don't go for the hero worship stuff. I mean take a photo with him if you want. The photo's I have of Dylan, Walter, the crew and I around my buff are ones I'll treasure for the rest of my life. But to use a photo of MS with your trophy, and framed no less, (I do hope the hunter is in it as well Big Grin) as a selling point makes me laugh.

Now don't get me wrong, if MS started pissing bourbon and shitting gold nuggets I'll worship the hell out of him, but until then..... sofa

ps.....do you get to pick the frame or does MS do that? popcorn

"Yeah,I don't go for hero worship"

Are you for real? All you've been doing on AR is cheerleading for Saeed.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is more for those mentally incapable of understanding plain old English!

"...Big, Hard-Headed Bulls!
These safaris will be conducted in the traditional manner of spot and stalk. Once the buffalo has been spotted the hunt will be conducted on foot. Clients can expect to shoot big, hard-headed bulls.

12 Different Plains Game!
Mark will be happy to guide you for these great trophies as well!

Common blesbuck, Cape eland, giraffe, red hartebeest, impala, greater kudu, Nyala, sable, warthog, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, and zebra.

Trophy price list is available on request..."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by using two id’s regarding “2PIPE”?
Thanks

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AR MAN:
Thanks

2pipe and nickh is one person.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Saeed has a point as well.It would be unfair for other safari companies if they had to play by the rules and only use a PH from SA.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I think Saeed has a point as well.It would be unfair for other safari companies if they had to play by the rules and only use a PH from SA.

It is a lot worse in this case.

Shawn advertises hunts with Mark Sullivan right in the open, on the Internet, knowing full well Sullivan is not licensed to conduct hunts in South Africa.

The farm owner is right there with him, as he allows him to do so.

It does not get any lower in business dealings than this.

It is just plain disgusting!

What is more, this was brought up by me before, but Shawn continues to ply his illegal trade!

Who would want to do business with an individual who blatantly sells illegal hunts??

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks

Good to know,now maybe he will no longer post hunt reports under both names,the term slime bag comes to mind jumping

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

It is a lot worse in this case.

Shawn advertises hunts with Mark Sullivan right in the open, on the Internet, knowing full well Sullivan is not licensed to conduct hunts in South Africa.

The farm owner is right there with him, as he allows him to do so.

It does not get any lower in business dealings than this.

It is just plain disgusting!

What is more, this was brought up by me before, but Shawn continues to ply his illegal trade!

Who would want to do business with an individual who blatantly sells illegal hunts??

What if Sullivan was acting as a PH? What harm can possibly come by this? Why is it such a big deal?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks

Good to know,now maybe he will no longer post hunt reports under both names,the term slime bag comes to mind jumping

Could be best to wait for an explanation before jumping to this.Excuse my ignorance but what is wrong with using two identities?