ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Early Season Elephant Bull Hunt With CMS (February 2015)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Season Elephant Bull Hunt With CMS (February 2015)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Keeler:
With that said I see you are now hunting with the Heym and my curiosity is up how do you like this double as compared to the double you used on so many other elephants?

Bob, hope you are feeling better. This is the second hunt I used the Heym on. I have to confess that I am not a very faithful double user in terms of sticking with one rifle. Off the top of my head I recall having used a Merkel, Krieghoff, Heym and a Holland & Holland on different elephant hunts. I like the Heym. I feel that it is a durable, reliable and accurate double. One of the reasons I used it this year was that I knew we were likely to have occasional rain showers. I just could not bring myself to take an English double and face the prospect of hunting with it in the rain for several weeks. No reservations about the Heym though, well made rifles that are certainly a cut above most of the current manufacturer doubles.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike.

Thank you for the report and congratulations on your fine elephant bull. It must have been exciting and challenging to hunt him in such a thick bush.

The pictures are outstanding, walking and seeing the bush in full bloom must have added some to the experience.

Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Mike, We were the first ones in 2012 and early season is a real eye opener. You chose a beautiful bull and hunted it properly. Did you see any other bulls?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, thank you on the response as you certainly have had more experience than my dreams will allow me let alone my wife. Your opinion is highly respected. Keep it up and I always look forward to hearing of your adventures.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, great report and photos.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phillip Smythe
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Gentlemen!

This time of year the Zimbabwean Bush is unbelievable! As evident in the photos - a magic time of year for sure...

Well done Buzz, Mike and your team!

Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow us hunt to hunt -

http://mailchi.mp/eccf60046a6c/welcome-to-2018

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages...aris/286258951422383

PHOTO BLOG - https://instagram.com/ivorytrailsafaris/

Phillip Smythe
www.ivorytrailsafaris.com

16 Pendennis Rd,
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Zimbabwe

Cell - +263 772 413 618
email - phillip@ivorytrailsafaris.com

Posts: 252 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats on an opening Safari to the season. It will be tough to miss out on Africa this season for me(first time of for over a dozen years) BUT I do have other plans..

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well done Mike. Great reading about Dande and nice pics. The earliest I have been is middle april. Feb heat and humidity must be something else. Did you decide to take 1 rifle after all

Posts: 39 | Location: south africa | Registered: 02 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Man, they're just tusks - I would rather have the hunt, than not go at all!!

I do not diminish the truth of your statement but it may be a tad easier for someone to say this with tusks already in their house.

Cheers
Jim

Nope, not at all!! As I mentioned earlier, I'll never see my one/only Polar Bear here at home, and I knew that was likely the case before I left. That didn't stop me from going anyway. I hunt, because I love to hunt Jim, and because I want to experience places/things like an arctic polar bear hunt - not because I get to bring my trophies home to the USA.

That's only my opinion of course, but to me - the experiences are more important the another trophy in the house.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Lots of insect type critters I have never seen before, and a very nice elephant to boot. I like it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Nice Job Mike! I love the hunting the valley in this time of year.

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job Mike and fantastic pictures.

And I thought it was thick when I was there last May!

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mike

Seems it was a wonderful adventure with a nice bull. Lorinda and I like hunting early in the year and we have always had great adventures with the wet and thick.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Man, they're just tusks - I would rather have the hunt, than not go at all!!

I do not diminish the truth of your statement but it may be a tad easier for someone to say this with tusks already in their house.

Cheers
Jim

Nope, not at all!! As I mentioned earlier, I'll never see my one/only Polar Bear here at home, and I knew that was likely the case before I left. That didn't stop me from going anyway. I hunt, because I love to hunt Jim, and because I want to experience places/things like an arctic polar bear hunt - not because I get to bring my trophies home to the USA.

That's only my opinion of course, but to me - the experiences are more important the another trophy in the house.

+1

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked closely, but never saw any evidence of the pedicure...

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:
I looked closely, but never saw any evidence of the pedicure...

Big Grin, big smiles.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Tatenda. I have now hunted February, March, June, July, August, September, October, November and December in Zim. Nothing compares to December.

Mike;

It looks like you've only got a few months to fill in!!!

Congratulations on a successful hunt. The flora looks like you should have been Bongo hunting. It is very lush and beautiful.

Your ele is wonderful. Loved your report and photos!

Congrats again, Darin

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
One thing I neglected to mention in the initial report that is worth highlighting. On the anti-poaching front, this is the first hunt I can recall in several years where two related things happened. One, we did not find a single poached animal carcass (elephant, buffalo, impala, nothing) the entire hunt . . . and we covered a lot of ground. Two, on our hunts we ran into multiple anti-poaching patrols in the bush while they were making routine patrols. Clearly the anti-poaching efforts of DAPU partnered with National Parks are having an impact. Poaching remains an issue for sure . . . we did find a number of snares . . . but it was refreshing to see the area being actively and regularly patrolled. Kudos to DAPU.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done Mike. We will have to toast your success soon. Those pics are suitable for framing... especially the one of the fantastic Jumbo. Very nice!

Sunrises and sunsets in Africa are enough to cleanse the soul.

Congrats to Buzz, Justin and the guys. Hunting in the thick stuff sure separates the men from the boys.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a beautiful bull.

Thanks for the hunting report. Especially enjoy all the photos!

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures Mike and congrats on the Bull.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt, Mike. The bull is awesome. I really like the fact that you took out a crop raider. I leave for Zim on March 29-headed for Dande East. I hope to do exactly what you did.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for rekindling the fires

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Sounds like a great hunt, Mike. The bull is awesome. I really like the fact that you took out a crop raider. I leave for Zim on March 29-headed for Dande East. I hope to do exactly what you did.

Who are you hunting with?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CMS. Second trip with them. First one was in 2011 in Dande. As of now Rich Tabor will be my PH. Hope to take bull ele, sable, and then see what is left on quota.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Tatenda. I have now hunted February, March, June, July, August, September, October, November and December in Zim. Nothing compares to December.
Mike, you should really hunt in April and May. Those are the best months.......

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Congrats on another successful safari with CM. some of those photos are really, really good.

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
CMS. Second trip with them. First one was in 2011 in Dande. As of now Rich Tabor will be my PH. Hope to take bull ele, sable, and then see what is left on quota.
You will have a good time with Rich Tabor and I'm sure there will be lots left on quota, with it being one of the first few hunts of the year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Well done. Best bug pictures I have seen. I have never been there when things were green... Beautiful..

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike
Well done on yet another great hunt with CM.
It must have been very difficult for you and Buzz at that time of year with all that tall vegetation. Is that why you took Justin along ?
I'm currently just finishing a fishing trip in New Zealand with my wife. We had a great group of your fellow countrymen here in the lodge with us.
Regards
Rob

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rob, we always have Eddy with us to make the vertically challenged in the group feel a little bit better about themselves.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Mike. Sounds like a blast and great pictures. Your hunt reports make me so jealous, keep them coming.
drj, if you are hunting with Tabor bring your walking boots and drink plenty of water. Rich can and will go all day long no matter what your hunting, he is a great PH.

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

You do a great job of taking us along. Congrats on the experience! I know that is what it is all about for you. I really appreciate your sharing, much to be gain from your reports.

Many Thanks

Brett

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bull, Mike. Good to see you enjoying your retirement.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12539 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Mr. Jines!!!!

I would have said 45 lbs.

Course I tell my wife 6 inches...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Love the photos, well done!

The green Africa is beautiful!

Anton

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Thanks for sharing

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good to see some still pursuing the grand sport of Elephant hunting in these difficult times. Well done and reads like a great hunt.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mike. Enjoyed the photos and it's certainly a different look than I'm used to, having mainly hunted the late season. Nice bull and I agree 100% on your reasons for continuing to go despite the USFWS.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for your report Mike.

Very happy to see you have had a great safari.

Now, how about booking another hunt in late October??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66943 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote