New
Find
Notify
Tools

zambia - a brief report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my apologies for this brief report, I'm being forced into leaving for canada to go fish and eat fresh walleyes CRYBABYGot back last week from another hunt with Johnny Duploy. The last one was into Tondwa for sitatunga, and this one was into the valley for leopard and buff. Half the reason was that when we were in the valley in 2000 it became one of our favorite places in africa. Anyway the flights with BA were good. They did charge us for not only guns but 2 bags with ammo as well ($45/bag) we are trying to get the excess bag charge returned. In camp we met Jim Keline who had been baiting spots for 7 days and was just successful after a 4 minute stay in the blind. (beat that will you) thus we had some prebaiting done. One bait in particular needed a new impala and it was late so that is the only rebaiting we did. The old bait had a small cat feeding. Next morning when we checked it half the impala was missing and a nice sized track left. We wet up a blind and Boom - 2nd day 6 PM (just enough time to shoot) we had the leopard in the salt. Quite a change from the last one that took 4 trips and 54 days to get. Nice male (I'll get pictures latter). about 130-140# class. Sadly that was about the extent of the hunt. I've always hunted dagga boys and didn't want to herd hunt, but had no choice. there were zero boys out there. 2 herds, one with about 120-150 in it that we could find no mature bulls in, and the other about 600. There were at least a half a dozen good mature bulls, but no was to get to them. Hence buff 1 hunter 0. Did attempt a shot at a bull, but just as the 470 went off a cow stepped into it. Score 1 greatly PO'd hunter. That night a lioness grabbed and ate a 12 year old girl from a nearby village. They found just here arm left. They killed the entire pride of 5, 4 females 1 male. We believe this is the same pride we saw a couple of days before hunting in the morning. At the time there were 2 people within a few yards of one female. Sure looked like she was on a stalk.
The bad side of all this was a return trip to the area. In 2000 we had to drive 3 hrs to the nearest village and saw very few people. This time the village has expanded to over 12000 and we were basically never out of sight of people and village and agricultural fields. In 2000 we saw thousands of hippo, now maybe a couple dozen, herds of crookston wildebest are now couted as 2 bulls. Crocs have decreased from over a hundred to maybe a dozen. Blame - to many people. The cats are doing great as are the elephants. We got chased and charged a couple of times by cows with young. The buff are in good numbers in the herd, but we saw very few mature bulls. Evidently latter in the season some dagga boys come over from the park. End result is while moderately successful, we were so disappointed with the area (maybe because we had expected it to be like it was 10 years ago) that a return would not be in our plans

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that it had changed so much. Congrats on the cat.

Post some pictues when you get a chance.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. We have been considering that area for our next trip, but I think we will look elsewhere. Sorry you had such rotten luck on buff.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Johnny Duploy

What unit did you hunt in with Johnny Duploy. Seems this brief report is very different than the ones posted last year as far as presence of game etc.

Congrats on the quick Leopard.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Were you guys in Chanjuzi/Nyaminga? Man, if that is the case it sure headed south fast! I was there in 2006 and had a super hunt... tell me it ain't so!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc,

Interesting report on the duPlooy's Luangwa areas. What are your thoughts on the habitat in the area? When I was there last fall, the hippos were dying in droves all along the river, not just in the duPlooy's area. There was much speculation at the time, but no confirmation as to the cause. Simple starvation was looking most likely. That struck me as really odd. My first trip to Africa took me to a concession in the Selous that had a serious hippo overpopulation. The hippos there had grazed the place flat for over a km from the river. I didn't see anything like that in Chanjuzi last fall.

Last year the buffalo were grouped into a single giant herd in Chanjuzi, and despite looking, we found only the tracks of a single dugga boy. IIRC, Kevin Robertson attributes really large buffalo herds to poor grazing conditions. I'm no expert, but I thought the habitat looked to be in good condition. What are your thoughts and what was the campfire conversation about the condition of the concessions?

Poaching wasn't seen as a huge problem when I was there, though a bit of evidence of poaching was found (one impala and an ele missing the tip of its trunk), but I have a hard time reconciling the abundant cats with heavy poaching. Any idea about the amount of legal hunting being done by locals? Could that explain the lower density of plains game and the large number of elepahnts and snare sensitve cats?

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Man, am I glad I went when I did!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

When a client's safari is finished I always like to follow up with the client and the safari operator. I spoke to Butch the other day and Lauara DuPlooy this AM. Laura is waiting for confirmation of her AR membeship and will comment on Butch's report as soon as she is allowed to log on to AR.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think everyone needs to remember that one person's opinion of their trip might not be a good indicator to judge a whole company or area. Don't discount their operation based on one guys experience.

I had a client there on July 12 to July 30th hunting lion, buffalo and plains game. On our post-hunt evaluation we have 4 levels to judge the differnt aspects of the trip- excellent, good, fair and poor. These aspects cover ali8ty of outfit, abundance of animals, quality of animals taken, etc. Miguel checked nothing but excellent all the way down, and said it was the best safari he has ever taken. This is a client that takes two safaris every year.

He took a very big lion, buffalo and lots of plains game.

So please give a long standing outfitter with a great reputation the benefit of the doubt before jumping on board or coming to any conclusions about how the area is doing.

I'd be glad to share my client's hunting report (along with all my past clients" hunting reports) on Muchinga Adventures and the DuPlooy's. They are all tremendously glowing reports.

Regards,
John Barth
Adventure Unlimited, Inc.
www.BigBuffalo.com

Posts: 157 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am sad and deeply disappointed by Butch Lockerby’s report.

My husband, John du Plooy, has spoken with the staff on Butch’s safari including the Professional Hunter Terry Van Rooyen, tracker and Wildlife Monitoring Game Scout.

The facts are:

Butch Lockerby had never set foot in Chanjuzi GMA prior to his hunt of 1 to 14 August 2009. His safari in 2000 was conducted in a totally different hunting block more than four hours drive from Chanjuzi GMA.
All Luangwa Valley hunting blocks have various populations of people. Since the start of the current Zambian hunting leases in 2003 until 2009 the population of the local community in our two hunting blocks has remained static.
Chanjuzi GMA buffalo population has increased from approximately 300 in 2003 to more than 1000 in 2009.
Butch had indicated to Terry and the staff that he wanted only a leopard and a very specifically shaped buffalo. He was not interested in hippo, crocodile, cookson wildebeest or any other animal. As such the Professional Hunter concentrated the hunt in the concession where these two animals were most prevalent. If Butch had wanted other species such as a hippo then Terry would have hunted along the river for instance where these animals are found in abundence.
In Butch’s own words he saw 750 buffalo during his hunt. Of these he turned down two buffalo bulls that the Professional Hunter, in his professional opinion, felt matched the specific requirements Butch wanted in his buffalo. Butch went on to miss a further two buffalo trophy bulls before pulling the trigger for a third time on what would have been the fifth opportunity at a trophy buffalo bull. He missed this and wounded a cow instead.
After the leopard was shot on Day 2 of his safari, Butch was getting out of bed at 7am and leaving camp to hunt mid morning, wishes the Professional Hunter respected. It is our experience that the animals rest and are difficult to see/hunt in the mid day heat. Butch having had back surgery earlier in the year was not able to handle long hunting days and had limited walking abilities.
The hunting client directly after Butch’s safari in Chanjuzi GMA is 90% blind. He took a 39.5 inch full bossed trophy buffalo on Day One of his safari. His wife took a 40.5 inch full bossed buffalo on Day One of her safari. Something that would be unlikely in an area that didn’t have plenty of trophies to chose from.
Despite having spent two days with Johnny in camp and one day with me in our home in Lusaka, as the owners of the company Butch and his wife Dianne never once indicated to us that Butch was in any way dissatisfied with his hunt or the area. He was directly asked by both of us separately if he was happy with his safari and he had answered in the affirmative. Email sent to us on their return home being: “ Hi Laura, Thanks for all the fun we had - the trip went very well. You certainly make for a seamless trip from door to door. Our flights home went great. We did get business upgrade on the LHR to BOS flight. Sooo very nice! It sure does spoil one to travel business. Flights were on time and all baggage was on the same plane. Now to get back on MN time! At least I slept all night - that surprised me. Time to get back in the rush of things. Again - thanks for all, you, John, Theresa and Terry did on the trip - it was fantastic! Regards, Dianne”
In regards to the lioness, one lioness on her own was shot in Nyaminga GMA by the scouts after killing a six year old girl. John assisted in tracking and locating the lioness who had prior injuries, it is John’s belief that these injuries would have limited her abilities to hunt for herself.
In 2008 five lions were put down in a hunting block adjacent to us for a separate and totally unrelated incident.

Both John and I take pride in our honesty and integrity, something that people who know or hunt with us would be able to attest to. I have no issue with fair and factual comments or critism, Butch’s report lacks both. I would be more than happy to put any concerned hunter in touch with our other July and August 2009 hunters, all of whom have had extremely successful safaris. My contact details are +260 977 74815 or johndp@zamnet.zm

Laura J. du Plooy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I realy am sorry that Butch was not happy with his safari. I'm also a little confused as my experience with the DuPlooy's has been that their integrity is beyond reproach and Laura's reply to Butch's report is consistent with everything I've ever heard about Chanjusi/Nyaminga.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why we needed an outfitter rebuttal that criticizes the client when the client's full report has not been posted. Confused

Personally, it seems to me that if a rebuttal were required at this point the facts about the change in area (thus the difference from the last trip) and what game was or was not present based on the client's wishes might have sufficed.

It is tough to be a booking agent, outfitter, or PH that is or believes they are subject to criticism. Most of us learn valuable information by the response.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
"I'm not sure why we needed an outfitter rebuttal that criticizes the client when the client's full report has not been posted."

Charles,
I will agree with your point on the criticism of the hunter but I have to politely disagree with your thoughts on the timing of this one. Though there were a few facts regarding shots and misses I would have omitted had I been posting a rebuttal, the original tone of the report was serious regarding the depletion of game populations and the human overpopulation in this concession that could have a negative impact on a client's consideration of booking the area. And that aspect, especially in the current economic times, could cost an outfitter serious revenue losses in the future. Therefore I feel any outfitter should feel free to respond to a post at any time to share their views of a hunt good or bad, just as a hunter should feel free to post his/her opinions of a hunt/outfitter. It is only fair if both sides can air their views.

I may be a bit prejudiced because I have hunted this area with the DuPlooys' and had an excellent hunt, but I cannot imagine there only being a dozen crocs in their stretch of the Luangwa. I saw hundreds. And the hippo pods I wintnessed were second only to what I have seen in the Zambezi...

I couldn't help but think that there had to be a mistake in this hunt report when I first read it because it ran so counter to my experience and others who have hunted this area. I am not saying Butch's observations were wrong, I wasn't there, just that it doesn't match my knowledge of the area. And it gives rise to the question, did an unfortunate incidence like the wounding of a cow, color those observations?

My safari with the DuPlooys' was one of my best out of thirteen I have been lucky enough to experience in Africa. Their ethics, management of their areas and handling of clients were second to none. I would not hesitate to book Chanjuzi, Nyaminga or Tondwa with them again. I respect Butch and his views and appreciate his courage to post a bad experience and be honest about it. It just doesn't match what I saw or experienced and I have to honest about that...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jane:
I am sad and deeply disappointed by Butch Lockerby’s report.

My husband, John du Plooy, has spoken with the staff on Butch’s safari including the Professional Hunter Terry Van Rooyen, tracker and Wildlife Monitoring Game Scout.

The facts are:

Butch Lockerby had never set foot in Chanjuzi GMA prior to his hunt of 1 to 14 August 2009. His safari in 2000 was conducted in a totally different hunting block more than four hours drive from Chanjuzi GMA.
All Luangwa Valley hunting blocks have various populations of people. Since the start of the current Zambian hunting leases in 2003 until 2009 the population of the local community in our two hunting blocks has remained static.
Chanjuzi GMA buffalo population has increased from approximately 300 in 2003 to more than 1000 in 2009.
Butch had indicated to Terry and the staff that he wanted only a leopard and a very specifically shaped buffalo. He was not interested in hippo, crocodile, cookson wildebeest or any other animal. As such the Professional Hunter concentrated the hunt in the concession where these two animals were most prevalent. If Butch had wanted other species such as a hippo then Terry would have hunted along the river for instance where these animals are found in abundence.
In Butch’s own words he saw 750 buffalo during his hunt. Of these he turned down two buffalo bulls that the Professional Hunter, in his professional opinion, felt matched the specific requirements Butch wanted in his buffalo. Butch went on to miss a further two buffalo trophy bulls before pulling the trigger for a third time on what would have been the fifth opportunity at a trophy buffalo bull. He missed this and wounded a cow instead.
After the leopard was shot on Day 2 of his safari, Butch was getting out of bed at 7am and leaving camp to hunt mid morning, wishes the Professional Hunter respected. It is our experience that the animals rest and are difficult to see/hunt in the mid day heat. Butch having had back surgery earlier in the year was not able to handle long hunting days and had limited walking abilities.
The hunting client directly after Butch’s safari in Chanjuzi GMA is 90% blind. He took a 39.5 inch full bossed trophy buffalo on Day One of his safari. His wife took a 40.5 inch full bossed buffalo on Day One of her safari. Something that would be unlikely in an area that didn’t have plenty of trophies to chose from.
Despite having spent two days with Johnny in camp and one day with me in our home in Lusaka, as the owners of the company Butch and his wife Dianne never once indicated to us that Butch was in any way dissatisfied with his hunt or the area. He was directly asked by both of us separately if he was happy with his safari and he had answered in the affirmative. Email sent to us on their return home being: “ Hi Laura, Thanks for all the fun we had - the trip went very well. You certainly make for a seamless trip from door to door. Our flights home went great. We did get business upgrade on the LHR to BOS flight. Sooo very nice! It sure does spoil one to travel business. Flights were on time and all baggage was on the same plane. Now to get back on MN time! At least I slept all night - that surprised me. Time to get back in the rush of things. Again - thanks for all, you, John, Theresa and Terry did on the trip - it was fantastic! Regards, Dianne”
In regards to the lioness, one lioness on her own was shot in Nyaminga GMA by the scouts after killing a six year old girl. John assisted in tracking and locating the lioness who had prior injuries, it is John’s belief that these injuries would have limited her abilities to hunt for herself.
In 2008 five lions were put down in a hunting block adjacent to us for a separate and totally unrelated incident.

Both John and I take pride in our honesty and integrity, something that people who know or hunt with us would be able to attest to. I have no issue with fair and factual comments or critism, Butch’s report lacks both. I would be more than happy to put any concerned hunter in touch with our other July and August 2009 hunters, all of whom have had extremely successful safaris. My contact details are +260 977 74815 or johndp@zamnet.zm

Laura J. du Plooy

See you in September 2010. Can't wait!! dancing

BTW, if you are Jane does that make John - Tarzan? Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch, as a member of AR for quite some time, I had come to look at your posts to gain insightful information and/or opinions on a number of issues. This one, however, stumps me.
I hunted with the DuPlooy's last August/September in the same camp you did....matter of fact, one year ago today I was IN that camp. Johnny himself was my PH. I also met Terry and actually spent quite a few days in camp around him along with Johnny's brother Abie.
Unless something DRASTIC has happened in the last 12 months, I cannot come to grips how you could possibly have had less than a great time with both the area and especiaaly the PH and staff. I will admit Terry tends to drive a bit quick... Big Grin...But we'll leave that for another time. Terry is a first rate PH that I know would and, as I observed with a couple in camp...older couple I might add....work his arse off to insure you had a successful and pleasant hunt.
As you, I took a great leopard and an old and very satisfaory buff bull. Was it a dugga Boy....would have been shortly as he was very old and worn. Just so happened that the lions in the area...of which there were MANY...harrassed the buff non-stop causing them to remain in a very large herd configuration. Also, as you experienced...the lions decided a touch of dark meat was warranted as they took and devoured a local late one evening. I wished the local authorities had come to camp to ask Johnny about sorting that out...I would have loved to.
All in all, I found Johnny, whom I hunted with exclusively, Terry and Abie first rate PH's that I would hunt with anytime. In addition, the evening campfire discussions were both lively and entertaining....we solved many of the world's problems nightly.
Nothing about the area or personnel were less that first-rate.
This is just my opinion, of course, and it sounds as though for some reason your trip somewhere went astray. Sorry you felt that way.
Johnny, Laura and all of his staff will remain at the top of my list.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that I re-read my post, I do feel the need to add that I personally observed, although I was not hunting either, MANY large crocs well over 11 feet and 3 large pods of hippos that contained at least 5-6 shootable bulls in each pod.
Butch, again...sorry you had less than a fantastic time...I just can't come to grips with why.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is my interpretation or else I missed something. I dont see any big negative report here. Are we talking about the same thread? Butch apparently took a good leopard. The guy before him took a goood cat. He then goes on to say he missed the shot on the buff. He also says he didnt want o hunt the herds and there were some big herds. The only negative I see is that he didnt see a lot of crocs or wildebeest. He was dissapointed because the poulation was more than he remembers from 10 years ago. True for most places in Africa. I dont see where he said anything negative about the ph, the staff or anything else. I dont quite understand all the reactions here including Johnny and Laura. they have a good reputation and I have never heard anything negative about them. Still havent
even in this thread. Laura states that they didnt concentrate on the animals mentioned that were not seen. So, where is all the controversy? Confused

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Maybe it is my interpretation or else I missed something. I dont see any big negative report here. Are we talking about the same thread? Butch apparently took a good leopard. The guy before him took a goood cat. He then goes on to say he missed the shot on the buff. He also says he didnt want o hunt the herds and there were some big herds. The only negative I see is that he didnt see a lot of crocs or wildebeest. He was dissapointed because the poulation was more than he remembers from 10 years ago. True for most places in Africa. I dont see where he said anything negative about the ph, the staff or anything else. I dont quite understand all the reactions here including Johnny and Laura. they have a good reputation and I have never heard anything negative about them. Still havent
even in this thread. Laura states that they didnt concentrate on the animals mentioned that were not seen. So, where is all the controversy? Confused

I read it exactly like you Mike....I didn't see it otherwise... bewildered

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bad reputations spread like wildfire these days. I think that they have every right to set the record straight to protect their livelihood.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am having a hard time seeing a negative report here. I also am trying to understand buthloc's report wrt what I saw a year ago in Chanjuzi. The regional hippo die off I saw would explain some things, but we were able to get on to pg about any time we wanted (except the last afternoon when we couldn't find anything but bull elephant).

Since butchloc has better things to do at the moment, until he gets back and posts a more detailed report, maybe the best we can do is take a breath and not create an internet teapot tempest.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
FWIW I too did not read anything particularly negative in the original report, and it seemed to me it was just a typical situation hunting in Africa- sometimes the game os hard to find.

The worst thing Butch wrote was:

"End result is while moderately successful, we were so disappointed with the area (maybe because we had expected it to be like it was 10 years ago) that a return would not be in our plans".

He got his cat! and missed on a buff...is that so bad?

When the outfitter posted that Butch missed on buff etc. it seemed a bit of bad form, but perhaps necessary to set the record straight?

Interesting on several levels, the client (well, his wife) leaves and says they had a great hunt, and later writes h was less than happy. The outfitter then it turns out wasn't too impressed with the client's shooting abilities and turns down animals he previously said he wanted to shoot...human nature to be polite leave with pleasantries. When the client is home he then posts about his disappointment in the hunt.

Hmmmmm....Africa- hunts sometimes do not work out for all concerned, even with good outfitters.

I look forward to further info from Butch and hope all parties involved continue to do well and prosper, and continue to hunt and enjoy this great sport.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

When a client's safari is finished I always like to follow up with the client and the safari operator. I spoke to Butch the other day and Lauara DuPlooy this AM. Laura is waiting for confirmation of her AR membeship and will comment on Butch's report as soon as she is allowed to log on to AR.

Mark

Like some of you I did not see this Butch's report as being too negative. I believe the response was prompted by Mr. Young's follow-up with Butch.

I do question the outfitter posting about a clients shooting, but three misses could explain the sour taste....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
back from canada fishin - good trip - was forced to eat a bunch of fresh walleye. anyway - HOLD ON THAR - my report was not a negative. the duploys fun a first class operation, one of the best i've been with. as stated what i went after was leopard and buff. i did get a nice male leopard on just the 2nd day out. That is probably about as quick as anyone can find mr spots. The buff i was looking for was old mr droopy. I've shot enough buff to get very selective, and i was. My problem with him was that there were no dagga boys to hunt. I don't like hunting herds for the exact reason that what can happen - did. as laura said, i had 20,000 worth of titanium stuffed into my spine and that surely limits what you can do. I could walk at my pace for about 2 hours and that was it. during the midday i had to stretch out on a bed to be able to walk again in the evening. If you guys read the end of the report the problem I had was expecting the area to be the same as it was 10 years ago. Dumb of me, but thats what dreams are for. So far as the area goes, having a village of 12000 nearby is obviously going to put people into contest with animals for grazing rights. Thats a problem worldwide, and worldwide the people are going to be the winners. For those of you that see this as a negative report, sorry about that, it is not, I call it as i see it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch....if I misunderstood your report, let me respond first and appologize for my post. As a client of the DuPlooy's, and seeing the operation and area(s) firsthand, I felt the need to respond and, quite honestly defend, both. I agree that there were a lot of villagers.....and Johnny and I spoke of how rapidly the popoulation was expanding. When one man "fathers" 27 children with 3 different "wives", it's no wonder....and yes, this is not heresay....I met the man and spoke with him about his "families".
I think the single point that got to me was your last statement about not returning....but I can see your point about that.
All in all, I respect your opinion and congratulate you on the cat....of which this area holds MANY.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were in Chanjuzi from the middle to the end of June hunting leopard, Buffalo, and all the rest the area has to offer except for Lion. We had a great time and took all the animals we went after and then some. I understand what butchloc is saying about the population in the area, but I feel it had very little impact on our hunting. This was the first concession that we had been in that had a resident population of people instead of just poachers. We spent quite a bit of time interacting with the villagers and their kids and spent part of a day in the school closest to camp. Quite an eye opening experience I must say but in a very positive way.
All the Duploy's and their staff do a very credible job dealing with people problem in their areas and we felt priveleged to have spent our time with them in this area.
In June the area was very dense with growth and still green which made it harder to spot game but much more pleasant on the eyes and the temperature that time of the year in the valley is very nice.I'm used to seeing everything burned to a crisp by fire and sun so this was a welcome change. All in all a fantastic trip with fantastic people and I hope to have a hunt report complete with pictures done in the near future.
Another positive aspect of the Duploys is that Johnny is the great chalet bug killer of all time. Cool
My wife really appreciated that.

Laura,
Thanks again,
Joe & Cheryl

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Butch:

True or not true?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was in chifunda - next door territory -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this train back on the track.

I, like others, did not read much negative in the original report other than Butch would not return. Suppose that made others jump on the train and turn it South.

Circumstance can oftentimes be misconstrued especially when no one has personal knowledge of the writers of the experiences being discussed.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
i was in chifunda - next door territory -

????????

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based upon the followups, we will reconsider.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

To me, the comments about too many people and a lot less animals from 10 years ago really got my attention.

My first thought was, hmmm, maybe Zambia isn't the "wild Africa" I thought it was.

That is clearly the "negative" some people read in the post.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't want to go hunting in Africa and be in constant contact with lots of local people. I'm not a sociologist, I prefer no people around when I'm hunting, within reason.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, Im with you. I prefer no people and as remote as possible.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys:

Not many place left in Africa where you can wake up in the night and listen to lion, leopard, hippo, and hyena. This was an almost nightly occurance and you could even include the elephant right outside camp. Two or three nights we woke up to the sounds of lions trying to get into the skinning shed about seventy five yards from our hut. Not much to worry about really, but it hasn't happened on any of my other hunts that supposedly had no people living in the concessions. I saw just about as many poachers in Kigosi in 2007 as we saw people in Chanjuzi this year and the poachers were much more disruptive of our hunt.
Unless I wanted a lion I probably wouldn't go back to Chanjuzi again because I shot everything else the area has to offer and prefer to see another part of Africa that I hadn't aleady hunted but it doesn't make it any less beautiful.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joec, I agree with you hence my first statement about being the same in most of Africa. I guess I am spoiled from hunting Alaska and arctic Canada. I can walk for a week and not even see a sign of another human being. Ihat said, its cold! I love Africa. I just want to be as far away from people as possible. The Duplooys have a good reputation and run a good outfit. I would not hesitate to go with them. I just didnt see this as a big negative post. Maybe there is a lot more that they, Butch, or Mark are not saying. I just didnt see it from the original post.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My first thought was, hmmm, maybe Zambia isn't the "wild Africa" I thought it was.

Zambia is a big place. You can get completely away from people with a little research.

Dean

-Edward, Duke of York