Family Safari with Zambezi Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted
Hunters: The Sultan Family

Area: Sango, Save Valley Conservancy.
Dates: 21st May to 3rd June 2017
Outfitter: Zambezi Hunter (Booked Directly: Alistair Pole & Winston Tylor)
PHs: Ian Bachelor (My Father’s Hunt) and Thierry Labat for Leopard.
Rifles: 375 H&H, 300 Win Mag and .243
Animals Hunted: Leopard, Eland, Waterbuck, Kudu, Zebra (2), Warthog, Giraffe, Wildebeast (2), Jackal, Honeybadger, Klipspringer, Baboon and Bait Impalas (10).
Animal Hunted but not collected: Kudu (saw many, wanted an above average one).
Animal Seen: All of the big five and just about everything thing else the Save valley has to offer, the area is extra loaded with game specially Impala, Zebra, Widebeast and Girrafe which are present in great numbers throughout the concession.

Hunt Objective: This was a repeat of our last family safari in Mokore with a retake on Leopard, only this time it was to be hunted by my elder son. The main idea of this hunt was to have some fun time for the whole family in African bush. We wanted to hunt an area where we could enjoy nature with comfort in presence of all Big 5 within the area. Being a family safari both me and my father encouraged the younger hunters to fully participate and shoot as many quality animals as they can. Building on last time’s experience the young hunters and wife performed well 

Zambezi Hunters (ZH): Run by Alistair Pole and Winston Tyler ZH is an excellent company that paid careful attention to every detail of the trip delivering a customized Safari which only had pleasant surprises that exceeded our expectations. They operate in some excellent areas and their backend dealing is second to none, they have our highest recommendation.

PHs:

Thierry Labat

There are a lot of great reviews about Thierry on AR and I can now gladly say that we found Thierry matching every word of praise that is written here. Thierry is a great PH who has the best ethical hunting sense that I have ever experienced, his thinking and reaction to different hunting challenges on the trip was simply amazing. He has a passion for Leopard hunting and his methods are thorough that reflects in his successful results. On top of being a great hunter, he is a gem of a guy a pleasure to be with and always thinking about the comfort of his clients. I have hunted a few times in Africa and can safely say that he is the best PH I have hunted with so far.

Ian Bachelor

Ian was my father’s PH assigned to plains game hunting of my Sons and he also helped in Baiting process. My father and Sons enjoyed hunting with him. He is a old school PH who works hard to deliver a very enjoyable safari experience. He conducted my Sons hunt very well encouraging them to believe in themselves with great results. Ian has been extensively hunting in Tanzania and other part of Africa and it was great discussing his experiences over the years.

Traveling: We took Emirates via Dubai and Lusaka to Harare, as usual, Emirates was a treat to fly with. We arrived at Harare in evening and cleared the immigration in a breeze. Zambezi Hunter’s Managing Director Winston Taylor was waiting for us outside and took us to Armadale guest house in Harare.

Early next morning we chartered into Sango and was recived by our Phs.

Area: Sango is one of the most game rich concession that I have been to with amazing number of plainsgame, Buffalo, Leopard and Elephants. Rhinos, Wilddogs, Lions and Cheetahs are all present and were seen on this safari.

Cheetah got real close to Impalas but then they were more worried about us thats why they didn't go for the final charge.

Thierry calling Wild Dogs, they came as close as 3 yards from him.

Sango Tented Camp: A great traditional African Safari Tent that is so luxurious that it far exceeded our expectations. The details given to everything is just phenomenal and the sundowners were made a special occasion. The camp is scrupulously run by Jannie and Cathy Leibenberg.

It was Ian’s birthday during safari and he got to cut a wonderful cake that we all enjoyed.

Sango Lodge: is about as luxurious as you can get in African Bush, it is really astounding to see such a spectacle in the middle of African bush. We stayed here in the later part of our hunt for a short time. The lodge is managed by Matt and Tshana:

And the GYM

The Plains game Hunt for the Kids: The kids had a great time hunting in Ian’s guidance and under the watchful eye of my father who loved seeing his grandsons following the family traditions.

The skinning Shed

The Leopard Hunt: Thierry is Leopard hunting artist and it is a mesmerizing experience to watch and participate in Thierry’s show. We had 12 baits put up in 4 days of hunting and had 7 different males feeding along with lot of females on different baits as shown in the Map.

My son shot the Leopard on 5th evening of the hunt and first night in blind with a well placed 375 bullet and the Leopard going 25 yards from the bait tree before giving up. It was an old male and a great proper trophy that my son can be real proud off.

Mudini setting up baits.

Trail Cam is an integral part of today’s Leopard Hunting

Conclusion: Keeping the hunt objective in mind, this is probably the best place run by some quality people of both ZH Hunters and Sango and with the professionalism of the two PHs, this was a class safari that we thoroughly enjoyed from A to Z.

Some Sundowner we had:

Sun Setting on the last day of Safari

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant be any better this Safari !
Congrats to all involved

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Ahmed and family well done - a proper family safari! Congrats to all and great to have 3 generations living it! Superb pictures too!

Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report and Great Safari. Thanks for sharing !

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Well done to everyone.
The smiles on the boys faces is all you need to see to know how the safari went.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wow tis the season for wonderful safari reports.

Thank you so much for your report. What an amazing adventure.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report! Great photos! Looks like a dream hunt! Well done!!!!!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Superb overview of your hunt and fantastic photos. The camps there are over the top nice! Might even be able to convince my wife to join me in Sango!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and pics! Congrats to all and thanks for posting.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Great safari and outstanding pictures. Nothing beats sharing the experience with family.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wohoo! Way to go! dancing

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt & great report,well done.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Ahmed!,
This is a great expedition and great experience specially with family, beautiful trophies and marvelous pictures as you always took!, CONGRATULATIONS for yet another good hunt. Leopard is fabulous.
IH

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahmed,

Hearty congratulations to you and your family.

MARK

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An exceptional hunt and experience

Tim

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Wow! Excellent report. Well done.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Sultan family had a most excellent safari, taking some great animals.

thank you very much for sharing

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Simply fantastic. Congrats again. Enjoyed following on Facebook. Great photos...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report, Ahmed. After the fiasco that Larry Shores had to endure with Sango how did they assure you that they wouldn't treat you in a similar manner? I know you were following Larry's thread and expressed some concern.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I am envious of the cheetah sightings. I do not recall having seen one there.

Thierry spoke very highly of the Safari. In particular, he spoke well of your children. Of course , that speaks volumes for the parenting. You should be proud of them.

I hope our paths cross one day.

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Congrats on an Excellent Safari. Time with the family is time WELL SPENT!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kallie404
posted Hide Post
Had fun following you guys on Facebook but this report is even better ! Well done on a dream Safari!

Posts: 109 | Location: Mooketsi& Phalaborwa Limpopo Province RSA | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done and congratulations on your wonderful safari. Great pics. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Congrats to your whole family! Excellent report and Pictures!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
e

congratulations

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic safari, very nice trophies, excellent leopard and you took some beautiful pictures. Glad a good time was had by all you. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great to see another hunt report from you after quite a few years!

Exceptional as usual. You must be really proud of the boys.

Thanks for sharing.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Fantastic safari and incredible images. Well done Ahmed!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great photos and great safari!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
After the fiasco that Larry Shores had to endure with Sango how did they assure you that they wouldn't treat you in a similar manner? I know you were following Larry's thread and expressed some concern.

Larry is a great guy and his reports and hunt videos were a big part of my inspiration to go to this area. Sango and ZH are a topnotch operation, I don't have all the information on what went wrong but I sincerely hope that it gets addressed and we again see great report from Larry of his adventures in Sango.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Congratulations. I am envious of the cheetah sightings. I do not recall having seen one there.

Thierry spoke very highly of the Safari. In particular, he spoke well of your children. Of course , that speaks volumes for the parenting. You should be proud of them.

I hope our paths cross one day.

Thanks Larry. It was a perfect place for the kids to learn about African hunting and both Thierry and Ian played their part very professionally that resulted in a safe and successful safari. The kids really enjoyed and are looking forward to return to Africa soon.

Re Cheetah sighting, yes it is rare to see cheetah in Save Valley but we got lucky to witness Cheetah hunting Impalas for about 10 minutes.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After becoming a father last year, my dream is to go on a family hunting safari. This safari seems as good as it gets Smiler Congratulations on an awesome safari for the whole family !!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Top shelf in all respects! Congrats Ahmed and thank you for sharing, it was an very enjoyable report. Best, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done. Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IH:
Ahmed!,
This is a great expedition and great experience specially with family, beautiful trophies and marvelous pictures as you always took!, CONGRATULATIONS for yet another good hunt. Leopard is fabulous.
IH

+1 tu2

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Duckworth
posted Hide Post
Ahmed, great hunt and some great pictures, well done to all involved!!

Doug Duckworth
Professional Hunter
Mokore Safaris
@dougduckworthsafaris
dougduckworth@mokore.com
www.mokoresafarisafrica.com
@dougduckworthsafaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First class all the way. Great report and splendid photos.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos! Congratulations on a wonderful family safari.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote