Tools

Nyakasanga with CMS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
CLIENT- Larry Shores

OUTFITTER- Charlton-McCallum Safaris

PH-Collen van der Linden

TRACKERS- Criton & Nyati. These guys are the best I have ever seen and this was my 31st safari . Plus they are nice guys .

DATES - mid August 2023

AREA- Nyakasanga. It borders Mana Pools .

The area seems to be quite large . Much of the area is VERY thick. Some is quite open.

There seems to be good populations of the big 4. Lots of impala and zebra . Reasonable numbers of some other plains game animals such as kudu , warthog , etc. Too many hyenas .

GUN- my old reliable Rifles, Inc 416 with Remington factory 400 grain Swift A Frames. Topped with a Swarovski 1.7x10 scope .

Weather - temps in the 50s at night . Over 100 during the day . Skies were crystal clear

CAMP- The camp is a basic tented camp . Certainly more than adequate.

The camp is situated on the banks of the Zambezi. The view is magnificent.

There are lots of hippo in the river . One hears them often at night . Elephants came into the camp nightly. A leopard was often in the camp nightly . Lions were often heard nearby.

Notice the proximity of the calling card to my tent.

upload image free upload

The view from camp.

THE HUNT - I booked for 16 days for 3 buffalo. I had the option for a 4th at an exaggerated trophy fees.

BUFF #1- The very first day, we tracked some bulls for a few miles . We gave it up when the wind got cranked up and was constantly shifting . Around 3 PM, we took up the tracks again . After about 4 miles , I was not confident. The sign looked hours old to me. My opinion was later verified by the PH . Even though it was not smoking hot fresh , that was no reason to give up.

We were making good time on the tracks. We came around a big bush and there they were . Apparently they spent hours in one areas . Two dagga boys . One looked good . Up go the sticks . BOOM. The buff ran but was clearly hit . No chance for a second shot.

I could clearly see the second bull standing about another 75 yards away. Hmmmmm. My instincts told me the first bull was down. However , we had not heard a death bellow. Hmmmm. Great care was the order of the moment. No one wants to get hammered by a wounded buff.

We made a big circle to the left . I heard the death bellow as we were circling . That was a relief . We spotted the bull laying on the ground . I put in an insurance shot . It was not needed . The second bull ran off.

He had run about 60 yards . The blood trail was intense . A blind man could have followed it .

The buff was 41 inches wide with 16 inch bossed . Hell of a buff.

BUFF #2- A few days later , we tracked a group of 3 bulls for a few hours . We lost the track. A fair amount of time was spent looking for the track. It was difficult. I managed to find the track once . That is a major accomplishment.

We decided to break for lunch and a rest to wait out the wind. Around 3 PM, we took up the track again. We had not gone far, perhaps a half mile when Nyati spotted the bulls laying down. While the area was very thick, I had a reasonably good shot at one bull. Up go the sticks . BOOM. He doesn’t even move . He was DRT. Nice bull, fully mature .

BULL #3- a couple of days later , we found some tracks of a group of 8 bulls . We had followed them before . We followed but not real far . Maybe 1.5 miles . The trackers spotted them laying down. This was super thick. How they spotted them is beyond me.

At any rate up go the sticks . No shot . I wait and wait and wait some more. Collen makes a cow call several time to no avail. Collen broke a stick. Nothing . No reaction.

At any rate , he finally got up. I had a now or never shot which I took. The bull was hit. Apparently pretty hard as he stumbled at the shot and appeared to struggle to get up. Trackers thought he was hit hard . Looks can be deceiving .

We walked over the where the bull was standing . There was lots of blood . However , I did not care for the color. I had also not heard a death bellow . This might be a bad sign.

We proceeded to track for about 3 miles before the wind got cranked up . We took a mid day break. Around 2:30, we walked 1.5 miles back to where we left the track and started again.

Now, I was about as nervous as a whore in church . This was some SERIOUSLY thick bush . The bull could come from very close . I had taken the sling off my gun and kept it my rifle ready . After about 3 miles of this , we walked up on the bull at about 25 yards . No shot . He jumped up and ran off. The good news is that he was not with the rest of the group. We gave it up and walked out .

The next morning we walked about 1.5 miles back to where we jumped the bull. The tracking started . It was often a slow and tedious process. We followed about 4 miles through some pretty thick bush. The danger level was very high. We followed for hours . Probably 4 miles. When the wind got cranked up, we paused to let the wind settle and have lunch .

At lunch , Collen opined that the bull was not far away. Probably 500 meters . I hoped he was correct.

We started again once the wind died. We went slowly and quietly as we could . At 557 meters since we started, we saw the bull . Both Collen and I shot at the bull. He was finished . I gave Collen some grief about misjudging the distance to the bull. After all , he was off 57 meters. He knew I was just giving his grief .

Our joy over the buff was short lived. The mopane flies attacked in mass . I have never seen anything like this in my 31 trips to Africa . There were millions of them . Collen said it was the worst he had ever seen.

The bull would have likely died from the first shot . However, in my opinion , it would have taken a while. I felt like hell for wounding him.

BUFF #4-. On the 7th day of the hunt , we found some bulls tracks . Off we go. We had not gone far , .91 miles to be exact, when Criton spotted this ancient bull standing there. Only the upper half of his body was visible.

Up go the sticks. BOOM. He collapses on the spot . He never took another step.

At this point , my hunting was over , at least temporarily. We went fishing the next day . No luck. I changed my flights to leave 4 days early . I later regretted this for multiple reasons .

We got word of some other animals that were still on quota . I decided to have a go at them.

TUSKLESS- We saw a large number of tuskless every day . However , all but one had dependent calves with them. The one that did not was standing right on the boundary between Nyakasanga and Mana Pools .

Bottom line is that I didn’t get one

WARTHOG- I love to hunt hogs , especially warthogs. We saw quite a few but none worth shooting until the last day. We spotted a big boar on the last day .

We got out and stalked the boar. He had moved off from where we originally saw him. I saw him moving at about 135 yards . He stopped behind a log. I could only see the upper 40% of his body. The sticks go up. BOOM! He was down. Pretty decent boar.

Notice the injury to his nose.

WATERBUCK- we saw quite a few waterbuck. There was one on a pan that had a massive body. However . He only has one horn. I decided to take him and use him for leopard baits.

We stalked a pan. He was standing in it feeding on some aquatic vegetation . We got to about 145 yards . Up went the sticks . BOOM! He was down.

We ended up not putting up the baits .

OTHER COMMENTS - in parts of the area tse tse flies are a problem. There are lots of them and they are ravenous . Similarly, in parts the mopane flies are simply awful. Never seen anything like to before .

Take a headnet if you are planning to go. Also some type of repellent for the tse tses.

I think this was by 4th trip with CMS . All
Trips have turned out well. I think highly of them.

Also, we saw a pangolin. Very rare.

One final interesting note. Another AR member was there hunting from a spike camp. 30-06 King . I got to chat with him a bit.

I am in my way home now. The last report I got, a hurricane was making a beeline for my ranch . I anxious for the latest news .

Eddie and Criton

Interesting tree

Sunrise over Mana Pools

In the bush

upload pictures to the internet

Murray the cameraman with his line hung again!

There were mass numbers of these berries . I have never seen them before . Nothing was eating them. They must be poisonous .

Posts: 11980 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report Larry.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great time, and thanks for posting.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!!!
I want to be you when I grow up or you can just adopt me.

Hope the hurricane turns left, we need the rain in Texas....

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a well done hunt!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great hunt in Nyakasanga. I always enjoy seeing a report from this area. My first hunt in Africa was in Nyakasanga in 2011 with Peter Bernard. My first animal was a buffalo, then a hyena, 3 impala, and a baboon. Loved the camp right on the Zambezi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on an excellent hunt. Those are some nice buffalo. Sounds like you had a wonderful hunt.
Bruce

Posts: 373 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Congratulations Larry! Have hunted with Buzz, Criton and Nyati - best trackers ever! Plus Eddie is always fun to have around!

Well done on yet another safari!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2262 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Terrific hunt!

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
Glad you had a great hunt in Nyakasanga. I always enjoy seeing a report from this area. My first hunt in Africa was in Nyakasanga in 2011 with Peter Bernard. My first animal was a buffalo, then a hyena, 3 impala, and a baboon. Loved the camp right on the Zambezi.

I know Peter quite well.

Posts: 11980 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, Larry! tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Proper

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and report, Larry. Congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Well played Larry! The cure for repelling Mopane Bees is a supply of Montecristo cigars. Like all Bees, they’re repelled by smoke. I’ve used them for all six of my safaris to Namibia; and they not only repel the Bees, they taste pretty good as well.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
What a hunt!
Gotta love the drops on that first one you shot

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Very nice Larry. Especially like the Guns n Roses shirt tu2 Well done.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Great safari Larry,

Appears that you were getting around well with your bum knee.

Sounds like you had some good hike's and the bothersome fly's.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1578 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your report Larry and congratulations on a great hunt! it was also nice to see pictures of Criton and Nyati and Eddie again. What a fine team of skilled professionals. Now I want to go back...

Posts: 234 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Well done, Larry!

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dogcat:
Well done!!!
I want to be you when I grow up or you can just adopt me.

Not so fast Dogcat! I'm in front of you in the adoption queue!!!
I'm also waiting for Larry to donate me the balance of the days of all his hunts when he leaves early!!!!

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a hunt !! I hope your ranch is ok

Posts: 190 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy your reports, Larry. Glad to see you had another great trip. Best of luck with the impending storm, it's killed my plans to spend the weekend down in Cape Coral.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Odin:
What a hunt !! I hope your ranch is ok

Thanks . It appears the storm is moving a little further north . This is good for the ranch . However , there are still winds predicted to be 70 MPH. I have some fantastic food plots that I suspect won’t survive. This is particularly bad as deer season starts in two weeks .

Oh well. Not much I can do about it .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
I always enjoy your reports, Larry. Glad to see you had another great trip. Best of luck with the impending storm, it's killed my plans to spend the weekend down in Cape Coral.

I’d stay away from there for sure.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
clap

Well done my friend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Larry - great report.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report Larry.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Well done! Wounding is never pleasant but it will happen to all of us if we hunt long enough.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

At least you stuck with the bull and finished him. Good job!

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry, awesome safari.

Hoping to see you at DSC next year.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great safari!
Nyakasanga is by far my favorite camp.
You are spot on about Criton and Nyati being the best.
Thanks for sharing your hunt!

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your buff safari Larry! Four buff in a week had to be a blast. All the best in riding out another storm...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Great report. What struck me was the temperature. 100 degrees in mid August. Is that normal for that area in August?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Larry. Congrats. Hope things are OK at the ranch.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Good stuff Larry. Congrats. Hope things are OK at the ranch.

No power . Lots of trees and limbs down. Food plots appeared to do well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad the storm didn't tear everything up!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Larry
No Africa for me this year
In La chasing gators now

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,
Congrats on the success of your hunt. You were keeping the boys at the skinning shed busy, for sure !
It was an unexpected pleasure to catch up with you while we both hunted there. I'm glad we had the chance to chat a bit and compare hunt notes.
You mentioned that your Waterbuck was not hung for Leopard bait but may be surprised to learn what happened to that Waterbuck ( if you have not already been told ). I'll mention it in my hunt report to be posted soon.
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and pics! Thank you.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Hi Larry,
Congrats on the success of your hunt. You were keeping the boys at the skinning shed busy, for sure !
It was an unexpected pleasure to catch up with you while we both hunted there. I'm glad we had the chance to chat a bit and compare hunt notes.
You mentioned that your Waterbuck was not hung for Leopard bait but may be surprised to learn what happened to that Waterbuck ( if you have not already been told ). I'll mention it in my hunt report to be posted soon.
Cheers

I am interested to hear what happened to the waterbuck.