ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Lion and Bull Elephant with CM Safaris May 2011
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion and Bull Elephant with CM Safaris May 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would love to see aanother thread on these important matters. maybe Saaed would open one on the topic for education purposes.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing a wonderful hunt. I particularly enjoyed your 'lions ass' photo, very appropriate for some Big Grin Looks to me like you shot great trophies!

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Great lion and a very good decision on the elephant (still a very good elephant even if it had only one tusk). It was a pleasure to meet you and spend several days sharing the same camp.

John

Posts: 42 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
A wonderful and heartfelt hunt report. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I for one liked the photo of the tail-end of the lion!

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Awesome! Congrats!

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!
Very nice trophies!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Thank you for sharing! I love seeing the pictures and reading to stories on here about hunts that I realistically will never be able to do! Awesome!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post
Great report Robert and what a trip.

Good to see the pics that went with your recounting of the tale the other day. Hopefully you can show me the footage later this year.

Thanks again for your help - looks like it will have to be another plains trip this August. Need to start saving my pennies for a DG trip!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good morning Guy and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
As many on here will tell you - beware, African hunting is addictive !!

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt. Your report was well done a very enjoyable read.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt congratulations...Buzz and Myles are really good guys.

Posts: 2540 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and exceptional report. I think I showed up for my Safari a couple of days after you left but I was in Makuti. I hunted Dande at Pedza with them last October. What a great hunting area. CM Safaris are the best IMO. Again, congrats on the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just learned that the lion skull has an SCI score of 25 6/16 which I am told makes it into the book.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
I just learned that the lion skull has an SCI score of 23 6/16 which I am told makes it into the book.

An interesting fact is that lion skulls enlarge little if any after the age of 4.

for more details see: http://forums.accuratereloadin...671048751#8671048751

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36651 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm
Thanks very much for the insight into your private discussion, I found it very intersting and also very comforting to know that my 25 6/16 scoring lion was not immature.
I am also sure that many members would be interested in this subject. Perhaps you and Aaron should start your own thread on the subject.
Regards
Robert Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report thx.
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
How do we use this lion (and the other recently posted) as an educational example without hurting any ones feelings or starting a flame?

I think it won`t hurt someones feelings if you guys tell us how your estimation about this lions´ age. I have no idea how old he is.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rob,

If that lion's arse looked anything like Buzz's after his nature walk, I would say it was not just mature, it was geriatric.

I enjoyed the stories from your hunt in camp. I thought you got two hyenas? I must have been confused.

Congrats on a great trip and a marvelous lion that was hard earned. I was also able to see your tusk at the office. Very nice indeed.

Mike

Posts: 21245 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ledvm
Thanks very much for the insight into your private discussion, I found it very intersting and also very comforting to know that my 25 6/16 scoring lion was not immature.
I am also sure that many members would be interested in this subject. Perhaps you and Aaron should start your own thread on the subject.
Regards
Robert Wink

Robert - I'm not totally following what your trying to say here?

I'm also confused by the post above, as your original post said your lion's skull was 23 6/16", and now its 25 6/16"?

Regardless, the lion is most likely 3 and possibly 4, maximum.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Aaron
surely you are not suggesting that I have manipulated the workings of the forum on this thread in an immature and childish way just to be mischievous.
No one would ever do that would they?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
R.J. - You can manipulate the forum/your original post anyway you want, that's totally up to you. Still won't change the lion's age!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Great report...thanks for sharing it.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If I ever have the good fortune to shoot a male lion, I will never post a picture of the lion on AR, even if the damn thing is 12 years old without a tooth left in its head. There are too many dogs running around in the neighborhood these days who cannot resist hiking their leg and dribbling over the accomplishments of others. Makes you think twice about posting any hunt report now.

Mike

Posts: 21245 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we don't have to worry about the antis sending pictures of old lions to the US fish and wildlife and CITES reps just the young ones and yes they can not resist dribbling all over our accomplishments if they are are weapons to be used against us.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike
Good to hear that you had a good hunt and looking forward to your report. Yep - some peolple enjoyed the hyenas !
I hear what you say about posting reports, but no one will stop me from hunting what is legal or from posting reports that some people apparently enjoy reading.
I just nearly made the big mistake of letting the denigraters drag me down to their level by playing childish games.
Thankfully I'm back to sanity and a degree of integrity now.
Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK Aaron
I was hoping that it wouldn’t get to this, but I was wrong.
Another AR member warned me against posting a report containing a lion hunt as, in his words I would have to” run the gauntlet of the Neilson and Co lion age witch hunt”.
I said that as I was a big boy I was happy to accept constructive criticism and that I was sure that it would be done in an adult and forthright manor.
We had a bet and I am now down $10.00
I don’t write reports just to make myself look good and show off and I welcome constructive criticism just as much as praise. Everyone who follows the forum is well aware of the way in which you conducted yourself with the poor chap who’s lion report you denigrated some weeks ago and who subsequently swore never to write a report again. Everyone is also aware of the general adverse reaction that you got.
On a couple of occasions in the early days of responses to this report there were questions posed as to whether there should be a separate post on lion ages, but these suggestions were quite obviously not taken up. It is now evident that this was not good enough for some people’s mischievous purposes and instead of making a forthright and grown up comment of opinion or starting their own thread they thought that they would be clever and play games by making obtuse reference to a private discussion.
I am embarrassed to admit that I too became involved in these childish games in a bid to out those responsible. It didn’t take much.
Whatever the age of the lion, everyone who has read the last few post can now clearly see how you conduct yourself.
The sad part is that I consider the crusade that you are on with regard to lion hunting to be laudable, but I question your personal judgement.
You will find that people are more likely to accept your opinions if they are confident in the integrity of the person voicing them.
This will be my last comment on the subject as I won’t waste my time on teaching people morals.
This experience will not stop me from hunting what is legal or from writing reports that apparently some people enjoy reading

R.Jolly - I think if you read your post prior to me saying anything at all, you will see your comments regarding Lane and I. If you can point out here how I was offensive or denegrating to you, I'm happy to apologize? I simply responded to your post regarding Lane and I, asked why the skull sizes you listed were different, and answered "Caracal's" question. How in the world is any of that offensive, or degrading?

Then when you said you were manipulating the thread for amusement, I simply said "that's your right, but it doesn't change the lion's age." So, you admit to "playing a game", hoping to elicit a response from me, and then question my morality?

I'm still honestly confused about your comments regarding private threads vs public threads, not just making a comment or a separate thread, etc, etc? bewildered If you see the NEW Lion Conservation section, there are numerous public threads discussing all of these issues, that started 10-14 days ago! Perhaps you have not seen this new section on AR that Saeed added a couple weeks ago, but I assure you its all there?

People who accept my opinions, are also the same people who are concerned about the African Lion's future, and who recognize the need for change within the current, and widely accepted lion hunting practices. I can't make everyone accept my opinions, but I certainly hope to educate and change some minds! I do so, only for the better-ment of the lion, the African environment, and the rest of Africa's wildlife. Yet, somehow because of that, you suggest my morality should be questioned? How about questioning the morality of the PH's who are willing to shoot young/immature lions, without concern for the negative effects it can and does have on us all?

As you suggest, I'll work on my morals. In the meantime would you kindly join me in urging PH's across Africa to adopt better lion hunting practices? Those which focus on conserving the lion, harvesting only mature lions, and recognizing that if we don't do this, we could possibly lose the lion forever!

Thank you,

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Mike and others,

I would invite you all over to the Lion Conservation forum to start your own thread to explain why shooting of young lions is OK.

Legal in Africa means nothing. What we are fighting is not happening in Africa...it is happening right here in the USA & EU.

We all love African Wildlife and the adventures it offers us. Why not do right by it???

And BTW...I have gotten to know Aaron Neilson very well in the last couple of years. A more forthright and genuinely caring person (in regards to wildlife) I have never met. Attacking him personally will get you know where as those who truly know him...know different!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36651 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
I just learned that the lion skull has an SCI score of 23 6/16 which I am told makes it into the book.

An interesting fact is that lion skulls enlarge little if any after the age of 4.

for more details see: http://forums.accuratereloadin...671048751#8671048751

If I were to question anyones integrity...I would question the person who first wrote 23 6/16" and changed it to 25 6/16" in the midst of controversy without even saying it was a typo or a mistake or something. bewildered

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Wonderful Trophies!!! Congrats

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob
Great report, loved reading it.
On a more serious note how could you shoot that lion...
I am pretty sure it still had bum fluff jumping

Guys, how about you go piss on someone elses parade. The money that people like Rob put into Africa holds far more weight with the people in Africa than does the propaganda war.

Soon there wont be a lion picture on this board that the antis will not have convinced us is too young. Stop playing their game and spend your time and money on pro hunting propaganda. Do you really think you will beat them playing by their rules at their game which was engineered to allow you to participate whilst proving yourself wrong.

If you really want to make a difference then take a new person hunting each year and double our ranks. If every hunter did that soon the rabid minority would find themselves singing their war cries in the wrong camp

Congrats again Rob and bravo on an awesome hunt.
HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Rob, thanks for the great report and congrats on some fine trophies! I especially liked the first lion pic... rotflmo

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slider,Hunters Quest,Antlers
Thanks guys, I was always confident that the majority of members on this forum had decent common sense.
Regards
Rob

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
If I ever have the good fortune to shoot a male lion, I will never post a picture of the lion on AR, even if the damn thing is 12 years old without a tooth left in its head. There are too many dogs running around in the neighborhood these days who cannot resist hiking their leg and dribbling over the accomplishments of others. Makes you think twice about posting any hunt report now.

I agree with this completely. Great post!

Jolly, helluva hunt. Congratulations!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote