Find
Notify
Tools

Burkina Faso Hunt Report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted
After 5 Safaris in Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa and Tanzania, I wanted to go to a different part of Africa and chose Burkina Faso because very few American hunters have ventured into that country although it is a well know Safari destination for the French hunting community.

Outfitter: Toufic Hanna of Namoungou Safari
B.P. Fadan Gourma
Burkina Faso

E-mail: toufic1@fasonet.bf
Phone: 011 226 70 20 71 03
Web Site: www.yentangou.com

Hunt Dates: April 1 to April 14

Game Hunted: Lion, Western Savanna Buffalo, Roan, Bushbuck, Reedbuck and Oribi

Air travel: On Air France via Paris

The important thing about flying Air France with a fire arm is to make sure your travel agent calls and gives them the information about the firearm, the gun case dimensions and weight at least two weeks before travel. A week before travel call the Airline and make sure the approval from Paris came through and is in the system.

The flight to Ouagadougou was long but uneventful. The flight arrived at 10 PM and Toufic’s wife and nephew were there to receive me and helped me through customs without any problems or delay.
We then drove straight to the base camp which is beyond the city of Fada N’Gourma about 150 KM from the border of Benin and Niger. The road was in excellent condition and it took about 3 hours.

The base camp is about 40 minutes drive from Toufics hunting area. The main camp has two massive generators located far enough from the dining and sleeping areas so you barely hear the noise.

The individual Rondovals are well designed and each has an attached bathroom with a flush toilet and shower. Two of the Rondovals have air conditioners.

The hunting reserve is a 40 minute drive and the area is over 200,000 acres. There are no human settlements within the hunting area which boarders the Singou reserve which is like a national park.

The hunting area is beautiful unspoiled savanna. The game was much more plentiful then I had anticipated.

I saw herds of Buffalo numbering 25 to 100 animals 9 out of 12 hunting days. The Roan are in excellent numbers and I saw good males every day I was out hunting. Waterbuck were plentiful. The Reedbucks were also fairly common. I had no trouble finding Bushbuck but unfortunately the trophy I got could have been much better had I spent a couple of days and been more selective. Oribi numbers were high and we saw 20 to 25 animals daily. Western Hartebeest were in adequate numbers and it would not have been a problem for me to get one if I had wanted to.
I also saw average numbers of warthogs but only saw one Male of trophy quality. There are small numbers of Western Kob but there were no permits available. I did see a few trophy males.

Toufic has most of the waterholes in the area on his hunting concession so animals from the Singou reserve use the water holes in the hunting area this is a tremendous draw especially as temperatures rise from mid March onwards.

The hunting laws are strictly followed. There is no shooting from the vehicle. No baiting for lions. It is strictly fair chase on foot. You can only shoot one animal per day and a maximum of 3 major animals per week. In 12 days of hunting I was allowed 6 Major animals. The Warthog, Oribi and Common Duiker are considered small game.

The first day of my hunt started with a wake up knock at 4AM. Quick glass of fresh squeezed OJ and a cup of excellent coffee and I was out. English was a problem; the first 4 days I had a French hunter with me as an observer and interpreter. After that I had a young man who knew enough English that I could understand what they needed to communicate and I could with sign language and a few words of English get my self understood.

By 5AM we were in the hunting area at 6 AM a group of about 15 Buffalo was spotted. We immediately got out of the vehicle and after confirming that there was a good bull in the group started the stalk. It took us half an hour to close the distance and the 350 grain A frame from my 416 Rem Mag smashed through the left shoulder, the Buffalo ran about 20 yards before collapsing. As we approached from behind it tried to get up but was unable to I put in a couple of bullets just to make sure. It was a beautiful Bull with wide hard boss’s and horn figuration typical of these Western Savanna Buffalo.

The next three days were spent following Lion tracks. On the third day while approaching a water hole we came upon a large Lion sitting under a tree. The lion was facing away from us sitting like a dog by a young Buffalo it had killed during the night.

At 70 yards from shooting sticks I aimed mid body just behind the left shoulder and fired. The lion rolled on its back with a deep roar but by the time I chambered the next round it was up and running, I could clearly see a patch of blood on the right chest area. The two guides fired but both missed. I fired again but with trees in between I hit a tree trunk.

We followed the blood trail which was very scant. The going was slow, after 2 hours of tracking we realized that the Lion had entered the Singou reserve. We tracked him into the edge of reed beds 10 feet tall and decided it would be suicidal to follow him there.

The next day two teams were formed, permission was obtained from the Game department managing the Singou reserve and search started again but it was impossible to track anything in the reed beds.

On inspecting the site were the Lion was shot it was discovered that my bullet had first hit a branch about an inch and a half thick which was inches before the Lions body broken it in two before hitting the Lion.. I think it was a fatal wound and so did both the experienced guides with me but the bottom line is we lost the Lion.

The following day I shot an excellent Roan measuring 30 inches. In the next 3 days I was able to collect a Bushbuck, Reedbuck and an Oribi.

The last 3 days were spent looking for the Great Arabian Bustard. Three birds were seen flying but we were un able to locate them on ground. Burkina Faso is the only country I know of that allows hunting for this huge Bustard. Toufic gets 3 permits a year.

In conclusion I would say that all the huntable species were in good numbers except for the Lions which are difficult any where and more so when you can only hunt them by tracking.

There is Language problem but nothing that interfered with my hunt. The food was good. The camp very comfortable. The vehicles are all old and beaten up but run well. All vehicles are equipped with radios and in constant contact with the base camp in case of emergency or a break down. During my hunt we had no break downs.

Toufic and his wife did everything possible to make my stay as comfortable as possible.
In April it was hot with daily temps around 106-7 F. Nights were never below 90-95F

Toufic in front of his office

Toufic has already sold both his Lion hunts for next year but has plenty of Buffalo and Roan etc available.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Aziz, thank you for the report. I definitely want to do this safari.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Aziz,

Very nice report sorry about the lion. I had no idea that Burkina could be this nice I always thought of it being much greener/jungle and not negotiable to drive and so on.

But is it very expensive if you compare to a country like Tanzania to hunt ? Just interested thanks.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Aziz, great report and great adventure. Your Roan and oribi are exceptional trophies and well done on those.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Nice - congratulations, sorry about the lion as well - can you tell us some more about hunting Western Savanna Buffalo?

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone, Safari-Hunt the costs are much less than in Southern and East Africa for Safaris for similar animals.

Adam you are right both of those animals are exceptional.

Mouse93 the Western Savanna Buffalo are found in herds of 25 to 100 animals with occasional solitary males. You either see the heard as you drive around or you see their dust or sometimes you follow fresh tracks crossing the road. From there on you are on foot tracking the herd. It may take a few minutes to 6 hours before you get a shot.

Regards
Aziz

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Nice report.

Very sorry to hear about your Lion. I am sure that is a horrible feeling.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this excellent hunt report and Congratulations!

Were there other hunters in camp, and if so, did you see them during the day while hunting?

What is the best time of year to hunt in Burkina Faso?

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Very nice animals Aziz. Sorry to hear about the lion. I should think some good tracking dogs would help in a situation like this.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
It is a terrible feeling to loose a magnificent animal like this, but all that is part of the reality of hunting free ranging animals. I consider my self fortunate to have had this opportunity. I thing tracking dogs would have made all the difference, but there were none.

For the first 3 days there were 4 French hunters in camp. I did run into them once but because the vehicles are in radio contact, I was always in a different area than the other hunters.

The weather is cold in December through Feb and those months are all good for Buffalo, Roan etc. but you see more animals in March and April as the water supply shrinks. For Lion the best time is end of March and April because as the water sources shrink and the animals concentrate the Lions follow them to the water

Regards
Aziz

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Excellent report. You said you had 12 hunting days but on the website I only saw them mention a 9 hunting day package. Did you have to extend it to get certain species?

Sorry about your Lion. How as the trophy quality?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello

For a Lion hunt you have to book a 12 day hunt. But if you are hunting Buffalo, Roan etc 9 days are required.

Regards
Aziz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
aziz great report,congratulation i really like ur roan.happy hunting,regards

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations on yet another great report...you have been busy lately...what's next?

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to post this excellent report.

I am terribly sorry about the lion. One never knows. Perhaps he survived.

A western savanna buffalo is a rare trophy. And that is a beautiful roan.

I see elephant in your photos. Were there many? Many bulls? Any with decent tusks? Can they be hunted?

Thanks again for this report on a seldom hunted area - at least by Americans, as you say.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
markhor, AndreC, mrlexma thank you

There are plenty of Elephants but the males have small tusks. I was told that Elephants in West Africa all have small tusks.

The government is interested in opening Elephant hunting and is trying to get Cites to approve a quota.

Regards
Aziz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aziz,

Good show and I'm very sorry about the lion. Loosing an animals is always upsetting. The trophy quality seems very good and you took some beautiful animals.

The savannah elephants in Cameroon had small ivory also with 20 pounds a nice one.

Congratulations!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Aziz, great report and great trophies. The roan is magnificent! I am sure you are upset about the lion but there is always next time.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Aziz,

My friend you have gone on some amazing journeys. I am so happy that you enjoyed your hunt in Burkina Faso. A German booking agent tried to get me to go last year on a do-it-yourself type of deal, and I couldn't get away from work long enough to make it happen.

He went and had a hell of a time, and I might try once I live again in the US full time.

Sorry about your lion, that's the devil with the game park border so close.

You talked about the language barrier. The PHs speak French, but not English at all? Or just kind of?

I have heard nothing but good reports of French PHs. And with Gentlemen like Alain Lefol & Link from this site, it's too bad the French goverment isn't as nice as the French people I know.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aziz,

Thanks for the report! You hunt some very unique locations and always have well written, informative reports.

I'd love to go try for a savannah buffalo someday.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aziz
a great report. A great hunt. I like very much your roan
Toufic is one of the most reputable outfitter in west africa and we have seen the results.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Aziz,
Tough luck on the lion, my friend, but you are right... it is a part of hunting. I can only imagine the tremendous amount of resolve it took to keep a positive attitude on the rest of the hunt. Fantastic trophies in your roan and buff though! Congratulations... I like others here, have hunted many areas in southern and east Africa and find this area in western Africa calling me!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the wonderful report!

Posts: 76 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aziz,
Great reporting and it sounds like a wonderful hunt. My sympathies about the lion.

I am one of the two guys going to do this same hunt next year. My wife is clammering to go too. Do you see any issues in taking a petite blond (but outdoorsy) to Burkina Faso on this same hunt? She does well on Zim hunts and can pack a caribou quarter across the tundra, so the bush aspects should not be problematic. I'm thinking (and worried) more about potential issues in the "civilized" parts of the country(getting to a from camp, airport, etc.). Maybe I'm just an old chauvinstic fuddy duddy?

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello ICUdoc

Burkina Faso is a safe country, violent crime is very low. I felt quite safe in the city. I see no problem with your wife going on this hunt except if you are there in April it will be very hot 105-107 F.

Regards
Aziz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aziz,
Thanks a lot for the info! She will do better in that heat then me. Better figure out some way to start oven training...

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Aziz,

A splendid report of a nice safari. A pity the lion wasn't cooperative. One can say it added some peps to the hunt and that You'll both meet again.

Thanks again for having phoned me from Burkina to tell me how it was going.
I think Winks is to be thanked again.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aziz,

Great Report.....You certainly do take some of the better hunting trips reported on this site.

Those are superb trophies...I especially love that roan!

I am very sorry to here of the lion. It is as you said 'hunting'....but, did it have to happen on the lion!?
You will just have to go back... Smiler

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As said above, great Roan! I too am sorry about your lion. Thanks for sharing your report and pics with us.

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
jb,DavidC, and UEG thank you.You are right DavidC it is my bad luck that it happened with a lion, but so is life. I have already paid my deposit to go back for the lion next year.

Regards
Aziz

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Aziz, thanks for the excellent report. Aside from the obvious quality of your trophies, was that a Harnessed Bushbuck you took? Outstanding Roan and Oribi. Good hunting next year, I hope you take a great Lion. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Thank you David, it is a Harnessed Bushbuck, the Waterbucks found in the area are Sing Sing and the Hartebeest are the Western sub species.

Regards
Aziz

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply Aziz. If you have any close ups of your game I would like to see them. I pay close attention to subtle details of each species. It's especially helpful to ones taxidermist. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aziz: I´ve tried to contact this op several times but à haven´t received any answers to my emails. Anything I nned to know in order to make contact?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Aziz, I have tried all of the emails you provided and have still not received any replies.
Did you have any contact problems when you were setting up this hunt?

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the season has ended in Burkina, most folks take vacations. Wait a month & try again.

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello

Toufic is in Paris. You can call his office and talk to his wife who speakes some English at the following number.

226 70 20 71 01 or 226 70 20 71 03, if calling from U.S. you have to dial 011, I don't know about other countries.

Regards
Aziz

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Aziz

You were hiding a couple of new data about Toufic.

He has just obtain the granting of his area during 20 (twenty) years. He is now working on very serious hard ground. The bargaining with the gov. was tough for as in any African country, the gov could prefer the one that pays the highest renting fees. Fortunately he is very respected and well known all over the country, what helps him a lot.
The season begins with exceptional trophees:
Roan antelope : horns >80 cm ( >32 inches)
Savannah buffalo : horns 67 cm (27 inches) span 60 cm (25 inches)

They saw a bush buck whose horns are > 40 cm, that means in the top five in Rowland Ward. Burkina has ever been a country raising trophy bush bucks.

They have seen lions 27 times since the 1st January, in different places and either groups, or single males or couples. Some males have good manes.

Toufic will attend the SCI shows in the USA next year. That's good news for Americans who'll be able to discuss with him and see his book.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Jean-Bernard,

Will Toufic have a rep at Rambouillet this year? Will you be coming?

Wink

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jean,

I am headed their on March 14th & will write a complete report upon my return.

Regards,
Ahmed

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote