ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    trap line and predator calling Alaska Jake Jefferson

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trap line and predator calling Alaska Jake Jefferson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After a very long tryp of 25 hours long I arrived at Anchorage airport where I had to wait for the hotel transportation that finally drove me to my hotel at midnight.
Early in the morning I first met Jake, after getting all the paperwork ready and some other stuff, we began the drive to the lodge. It was a 5 hours drive and 2 and a half more hours snow machinning.
It was my first time to be driving a snowmachine, so it got a bit hard for me. In our way to the lodge we saw several caribou and moose, and also some ptarmigan and an owl.
Once in the lodge I was introduced to the nice family who is managing it, Claude, Jen, Bob and Kyle, Claude and Jen are a nice young couple whose brother bob is also a lot of fun to be with, Kyle is helping them with everything and he is also great.
The lodge was great and I enjoyed a lot their company all my time over there, not to forget the great meals Jen was cooking for us everyday.

first day of the hunt.
I was told to wake up at 7 everyday, so I did the first day, nevertheless, I was already awake since 2, due to the jetlag.
We had breakfast, get into the snowmachine and went to our first checking of the traps Jake had already set for me before.
The day was great we had two lines to check, west and east of the lodge, Claude also came with us, so I was surrounded by two experts in snow machine driving, thought, it did not was enought to keep me away of falling off the snow machine several times.
The day turned out to be also great at hunting, we found out 3 animals got trapped on Jake´s traps, awesome begin of the hunt.
We got one fox, who it seems to have been killed by a moose while trapped, as the tracks in the snow seems to tell us. Also get a marten and a huge wolverine, the wolverine was caught in a snare Jake set near of a killed bear. Yes, thats right, a killed bear in January, you read it right.
It seems the wolves took the bear out of his cave when he was still on the hibernation period, incredible storie. The bear got killed and wolves, foxes, wolverines, etc fed on it.

second day of the hunt.
Again another great sunny day, but still cold, of course. Today we go for predator calling, but first I had to solve an issue and that is my boots. The cold was entering trought my boots, so I was feeling it in my feet fingers, I figured out a final solution, I put my gloves covering my feet inside my boots and that saved me.
We got no results with the calling, but in the way back Jake saw a fox and we can managed to shoot him down, really fun shooting. Not having drive more tha 400 yards from that first fox, Jake saw another one, same thing, we run into eachother so Jake could pass me over his nice semiautomatic 223 rifle mounting a red dot scope.
This time I could not hit it, Jake took his snowmachine and look for any blood traces or any chance of see it again, but nothing.
After all this movement we went back to the lodge for a nice lunch and then hit the road again to set four more traps. It was nice to learn and practice how to set your own traps and do the calling, I have never did it before and now is something I can highly recomend to any hunter to try at least once.

third day of the hunt.
Tonight it was really windy, it seems the weather is going to change and it did.
We ran the east line in the morning and the west line in the afternoon, no catchings but we still had to work over some traps that needed a reset. Traping is a hard work, you have to run the lines every now and then and make adjustments, etc, and you also need to think like the animal you are trying to get might think, otherwise you will never get it.
that day we also found mink tracks in a couple of places and we set a trap, in our last checking Jake saw another fox, I tried to kill him but was no lucky, then I ask Jake to try to cath it up with his snow machine and shoot him down, he did it and was able to kill it, so we got another nice fox.
Back to the lodge a long skinning work was required, Jake is a great guide, knows every detail of his work and is a pleasure to talk to him a learn from him all details of the hunt you are involved at. He also did a great job skinning.

fourth day of the hunt.
At night was again windy and it has been snowing so we have to run the lines again to reopen the paths. We found a marten on our way and came back for lunch at the lodge in the afternoon we went to recover a couple of traps Jake set in the lake for beavers with no luck, the ice have had grown so much that he had to use a machine to cut off the ice and hardly got to the end of the ice block.
While cutting up the ice we had an unexpected finding, something was trappen in our set, we first thought it was a beaver because that was the intended specie but it end beeing an otter, it was really hard to get the otter out from the ice, it was a big one and we could not avoid make some cuts on it in our fight to get it out.
We are doing a great job. We have time only to ran one of our lines, so we must run the other one tomorrow probbly under bad weather conditions also... we will see.

fifth day of the hunt.
We wake up same time, have breakfast and hit the road... another unexpected finding, there was a fox in the same trap we got the wolverine the first day... my god, what a good spot, I would really love to get a lynx and wolve if we have chance, but no chance at all yet...well you can never have everything.
Today, no doubt, was the hardest day of all, I fell down of my machine 6 times, it seems the fresh snow was laying over a frozen older snow area that is making the things quite complex for me... the worst of all is that the machine went over a tree in one of my accidents and some plastic parts of it broken up...
My back is really painfull at this time and I´m really tyred...too much going up and down the snow machine

sixth day of the hunt.
Today we went for a nice ride with Claude and family and Bob got his first marten, I really couldnt enjoyed too much because the pain in my shoulder and had to ask Jake to continue himself and take all the traps from the line out so I will not need to went trough it again.
Jake did it and in the afternoon we went together for a little ride on the road to see if we could find something but we had no luck.

Seventh and last day of the hunt.
We went to get out the traps set on the last trap line still set it (excepting four traps we left out to be taken in our way back tomorrow) and we found another marten in one of the sets, it was an old and big marten, we went back to lodge for a quick but delicious lunch and left fast to check an area in which Jake has seen linx tracks before.
We soon find tracks and we sat down for some calling in several places with no luck, then we agree to get back to lodge in a slow ride so we could be able to check both sides of the road and try to find some animal movement. We were lucky to shoot a couple of rabbits and a nice fox, it was funny shooting and we both enjoyed.
We came back to lodge, finish all the skinning and had a nice night in company of the Bondit family playing monopoly.

Still to comment we saw a lot of critters in our way back, including a coyote that was really lucky as the gun was frozen and so unable to shoot...
After a 2 days tryp I´m back to Spain and I find myself writing down this report.
I want you to know Jake is a great person and guide, that much, that I´m already booking a July brown bear for this same 2011 year, so is useless to say I highly recommend his services and this trap line adventure which is really fun and special hunt everybody should do it at least once, specially for the price, 6500$ is a great deal on a such hunt with your own snow machine for your personal use during 8 days and being in such a nice lodge with internet, phone, nice cook and even better company.

Best regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way,I have some pictures I can add to the report, but will need some help from any of you, as I can not find the way to do it myself

best regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oopss, now I realized I put the report in the wrong place, as this is an Alaskan report, not Africa, please, if the moderator want to move it to the right place it will be of great help.

Best regards and sorry for the incovenience

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures from spanishhunters trip!

a nice marten from the line..

a big snared wolverine!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the red fox that couldn't outrun the AR-15!

another nice red fox that we trapped!

Home for the week!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
wow! I am envious, this looks like it turned into a great time, congrats.
Sorry to make fun, but the below quote gave me a hell of a chuckle. Wink
quote:
The cold was entering trought my boots, so I was feeling it in my feet fingers

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jajaja.
Its ok 505 gibbs, it turns to be fun now, but you can bet it is not when is that cold Wink
It was really a great time

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great report and congrats on some fine pelts. That Wolverine is awesome!
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great experience, a really unique hunt. Some beautiful photos, as well.

That wolverine makes a super trophy and remembrance of this trip. I assume that you get to keep the haul of furs? If so, the wolverine would make a fantastic full body mount.

Congratulations...hope your feet fingers recovered nicely...sorry, couldn't resist. Smiler

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jaajaa.
Thank you for your compliments. Yes, in this hunt you can keep all the furs you want,
I was thinking in make a rug out of the wolverine because I dont think they will do a perfect taxidermy of the wolverine here in Spain, so better to take a rug with me. It was really an awesome critter, around 35 pounds if I´m not wrong.
My fingers are much better now, you know... Spanish feet are not used to that much cold ;-)

best regards.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Well, they do both start with an A. . . . . . Roll Eyes LOL! Nice pelts! Big Grin