New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Friends last Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have known Greg for 25 odd years, he was a good friend and always fun to be around. He was one of those people who was naturally funny without even trying and he had a great sense of humor. He was also very fond of hunting and his first African hunt was in Burkina Faso and with me he took a buffalo, roan and some plainsgame. We had found buffalo tracks from the night before and started tracking them fairly late in the morning. By mid day we realised that we were close on their tail judging from the fresh dung, but now they had gone in to some patches of tall grass! We followed carefully knowing that they would probably lie up during the hot afternoon and move again later in the evening.

We made our way slowly and suddenly came upon the herd about 50 yards away mostly bedded down in the grass.

The wind was right and they were oblivious to our presence. Some were standing and others lying down chewing the cud and doing what buffaloes do. We tried our best to find a good bull and finally Buwaba the local PH (nicknamed the American as he would try his best to imitate an American accent when clients were not around) managed to spot a nice bull. As these things go it was on the far side of the herd surrounded by other buffalo and there was just no shot. So we decided to wait it and out and sat down in the hot sun no more than 30 yards from some of the herd. After sweating it out in the hot sun for about 20 minutes we said the hell with this clever plan and decided to approach the buffalo come what may and see if we could get a shot! I told Greg to get ready, he was already quite excited with the thoughts of shooting a buffalo at close range and that too his first African animal!

We got up and approached the buffalo and within us taking a few steps they got wind of us and started to move away. We moved in quickly and as luck would have it the bull stopped for a moment in the clear at 30 yards. Greg fired and the bull dropped in its tracks hit in the base of the neck.

Greg had got the bug bad and started hunting Africa every year. He did a Leopard and plains game hunt in the Bubye Valley with Brent Hein and shot a super leopard and a whole lot of plainsgame. After that he did a wonderful plainsgame hunt in Botswana at Tholo Safaris.

In 2019 he booked a Safari in Mozambique that I arranged for him and thanks to Covid the hunt got put off until this August. In usual fashion Greg was all excited about his hunt and decided to buy a new .375 to take along. I found him a Winchester Alaskan model and helped him scope it and get it all set up.

In August Greg went to Mozambique where by all accounts he had a great hunt taking 2 buffalo and a bunch of PG, including an albino bushpig!

On his return Greg told me that he had, had an exceptional hunt but wasn't feeling too good and said it was probably Covid, which he later confirmed with a home test. He had got it earlier this year in January despite being vaccinated and told me that it had really kicked his ass! He sent me pics from his hunt and said he was resting and would probably be good in a day or two. I thought nothing more of it and was waiting to hear all about his hunt when he recovered. After all it was only bloody Covid! I was stunned and shocked to get a call the Tuesday after the Labor day weekend from a friend of his and all she could say was that Greg had gone and had been found in his apartment.

This was a real shock and very sad news to all of us who knew him as he was in his mid 50s and no one would have ever expected this outcome!

He was not on AR but I thought he would have enjoyed reading this post in his Memory and sharing some of his hunt exploits with fellow hunters, so I am posting this little tribute in honor of Greg who loved life, hunting, fishing, women, cigars, scotch, wine, books, cooking and good food. Gone too soon to the Happy Hunting Grounds my friend.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice tribute great pictures, may Greg rest in peace

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a great tribute to a good friend. may he rest in peace in the eternal hunting grounds of Africa.

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Nice tribute to your friend, Arjun. May he Rest In Peace.

None of us have tomorrow promised to us, we need to live our best lives while we can.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that tribute. Sorry for your loss.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great tribute Arjun.

Greg got to experience what looks to be a fantastic Mozambique safari before he left us. Not all get that lucky.

RIP

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed a great tribute. From the photos Greg enjoyed some spectacular hunts. The fact that he enriched the lives of others with his humour and wit makes him missed all the more.

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s nice to know he had a great safari just before he passed. Sorry for your loss.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great guy! Hope to see him on the other side in our happy hunting grounds.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great tribute to your friend. We should all remember how fragile life is and cherish the friends we have and the times we are able to enjoy life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We never know when its our turn to leave mortality. Great tribute. I'm sure he appreciated that last hunt.....
Bruce

Posts: 373 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very unfortunate story, Arjun. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a really sad story but good for him that he got to enjoy himself at the end

Posts: 195 | Registered: 03 September 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Arjun, my prayers to you buddy. And to his family.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice tribute to your friend, Arjun.
May he rest In peace.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Arjun.
I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice tribute to your friend, Arjun. May he Rest In Peace.

+1 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Greg. Thanks Arjun.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice tribute Arjun

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Arjun.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Nice tribute and may he rest in peace

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe I sold him a custom 458 Lott, more or less at SCI Vegas? I was wanting a Jefferys 404 and we did a trade with WR, I ended up with the 404 and he got the 458 LOtt, been a number of years ago, Bob ?, who was with WR for a number of years, brokered the trade.

At any rate I wish his family the best, and my prayers are with all...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41855 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote