New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kalahari Lion Hunt Of A Lifetime
 Login/Join

Picture of WorldClassFishingandHunting
posted
Returning from Africa with some great stories and a Lion down but almost a tracker and I down…

In brief, Lion was a wild lion taken from game reserve due to bad attitude i.e. fighting other lions, charging vehicles, and killing to many animals…2 PHs, one with over 250 lion hunts, one with 10 Lion hunts and extensive Big 5 experience, tracker many years experience tracking lions…Camera man was not allowed to come out on this hunt…only the four of us…took 1 hr to pick up definite fresh track, first stalk 200 yards and he bumped out with no warning…went 70 yards and circled back behind us and lay in heavy brush…Not normal! All three just in front of me walked past lion at 10 yards…I spotted him, started to get gun up and safety off when he made a direct charge at me with no warning. I got one shot in his upper chest, followed by 2 shots from PHs.. Within 1 second, the Lion was At 2 yards on full charge, I dove left and he turned…his tail slapped me across the chest as I was falling and knocked me for a loop. I though I had been shot…he turned on tracker and chased, closing 8-10 yards in a second while eating 1 more shot from my PH, he literally came within inches of getting tracker from behind then turned to charge direct at me again... 3 more shots from PHs and two from me to stop him…Very horrifying, yet amazing!! Outfitter was in vehicle 1/8 mile away and heard 3 shots…thought it was done…however, when he heard the next 5 with pauses between them all he said he went completely numb and just knew things had gone wrong and that someone was dead or injured…In the debrief, we learned this was the first time a lion charged with no warning from such close range and got within a yard of a hunter or tracker in over 200 hunts…Clearly the Lion hunted us with his 180 degree turn to get in behind us…His actions of the circle back and charged with no warning are very rare…they normally bump straight out…Shit was just plain crazy and everything went to hell in a split second…This all took place in less than 6 seconds...The tracker and I are extremely lucky! He was given the day off to return to his family after being very shook up. Truly a once in a lifetime hunt that will remain in all four of our minds forever!! Going to buy a 500 double riffle Smiler

Very Respectfully,
Michael Spud Webb
www.worldclassfishingandhunting.com
"Take a Loved One Fishing or Hunting"

Posts: 24 | Location: Houston TX, Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, great experience, since it ended alright :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! Glad it worked out OK

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone's ok. I hate them damn lions. Cheeky damn animals and plenty fast. shocker

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Sure will be a hunt that will e remembered!!
Heart thumping stuff......
Congrats
Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone made it out ok and got the cat too.
Isn't this why it's called DG hunting?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you please post some photos sir.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one pissed off cat. Glad you came away unscathed.

250 Lions is an awful lot to take in one's professional hunting career. The chap is a legend and needs to write a book.

Pictures would be a bonus.

Did you shoot any bait animals or other trophies?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WorldClassFishingandHunting:
Returning from Africa with some great stories and a Lion down but almost a tracker and I down…

In brief, Lion was a wild lion taken from game reserve due to bad attitude i.e. fighting other lions, charging vehicles, and killing to many animals…2 PHs, one with over 250 lion hunts, one with 10 Lion hunts and extensive Big 5 experience, tracker many years experience tracking lions…Camera man was not allowed to come out on this hunt…only the four of us…took 1 hr to pick up definite fresh track, first stalk 200 yards and he bumped out with no warning…went 70 yards and circled back behind us and lay in heavy brush…Not normal! All three just in front of me walked past lion at 10 yards…I spotted him, started to get gun up and safety off when he made a direct charge at me with no warning. I got one shot in his upper chest, followed by 2 shots from PHs.. Within 1 second, the Lion was At 2 yards on full charge, I dove left and he turned…his tail slapped me across the chest as I was falling and knocked me for a loop. I though I had been shot…he turned on tracker and chased, closing 8-10 yards in a second while eating 1 more shot from my PH, he literally came within inches of getting tracker from behind then turned to charge direct at me again... 3 more shots from PHs and two from me to stop him…Very horrifying, yet amazing!! Outfitter was in vehicle 1/8 mile away and heard 3 shots…thought it was done…however, when he heard the next 5 with pauses between them all he said he went completely numb and just knew things had gone wrong and that someone was dead or injured…In the debrief, we learned this was the first time a lion charged with no warning from such close range and got within a yard of a hunter or tracker in over 200 hunts…Clearly the Lion hunted us with his 180 degree turn to get in behind us…His actions of the circle back and charged with no warning are very rare…they normally bump straight out…Shit was just plain crazy and everything went to hell in a split second…This all took place in less than 6 seconds...The tracker and I are extremely lucky! He was given the day off to return to his family after being very shook up. Truly a once in a lifetime hunt that will remain in all four of our minds forever!! Going to buy a 500 double riffle Smiler

250 lions must be relatively unusual even by SA standards. 2020

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Wow - what an experience. What reserve was the lion taken from, and the PH's, if you can share that?

I spent a few days on one of these reserves in RSA a couple years ago, did not shoot a lion, but as we were hunting in some of the areas they had the lion, we did pay close attention!

Pictures perhaps?

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 351 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Reading that again you mentioned a cameraman was not allowed? It was your safari mate and why not?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
250 lions in ones career, surely not possible
with "wild Lions"

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I believe he said over 250 hunts, not kills. It's still a lot, but might be more feasible.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Amazing story ! Good that everyone came out safe.

Couple of questions - where was the hunt, what rifles were you all using and at 250 lion hunts how did the PH fail to see the lion at 10 yards ?

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
Amazing story ! Good that everyone came out safe.

Couple of questions - and at 250 lion hunts how did the PH fail to see the lion at 10 yards ?

Charlie

GITTIN OLDDD!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy hunt well done,

Which Kalahari reserve was this hunted in?

If we may ask who was the Outfitter and Ph

Would love to see photos

Well done again on your Wild Lion

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
250 lions in ones career, surely not possiblewith "wild Lions"

I disagree, it would seem one of the more prominent Tanzanian outfits does nearly that many in a single season...... stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did he say "wild" lion. Hmmmm...aren't they all?

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Did he say "wild" lion. Hmmmm...aren't they all?

What he said was: "In brief, Lion was a wild lion taken from game reserve due to bad attitude i.e. fighting other lions, charging vehicles, and killing to many animals…2 PHs, one with over 250 lion hunts, one with 10 Lion hunts and extensive Big 5 experience, tracker many years experience tracking lions…Camera man was not allowed to come out on this hunt…only the four of us…took 1 hr to pick up definite fresh track, first stalk 200 yards and he bumped out with no warning"

Personally, I thought the best part of that statement was "killing to many animals" animal

He might perhaps need to read THIS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen if some of you need to blow off steam or have too much time on your hands, go and attack some anti-hunters online who are trying their level best to stop ALL lion hunting AND ALL HUNTING PERIOD. WHY pick on a man who has been on a Lion hunt, ask pointed questions as to the kind of lion hunt he went on, how experienced or inexperienced his PH was and generally try your level best to make him look small?

The man is proud of his own achievement and even calls his post "Kalahari Lion Hunt Of A Lifetime". It may not fit with your dream but that's his business. If you don't feel the need to be happy for him then stay quiet.

Yes it is a free world and you can say what you want, but maybe if you have nothing nice to say it is better to shut up.

If you don't like the kind of hunt he went on start a different thread.

Only the other day there was so much hand wringing and discussion about how one needs to deal with anti-hunters who are attacking hunters online and defending rights of hunters and then some people here think its cool to demeanor another person who posts his hunt report.

I know several people who used to post their hunt reports here on a regular basis who have completely stopped because of this very BS.

Lets screw ourselves great move.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Arjun,

I was / am genuinely interested in where, what gun(s) and what went wrong that 2 PHs and an experienced tracker all missed a lion at short distance and put the client at risk and would love to see pictures too.

Lion hunt reports are always deli'cat'e (sorry could not resist that) and if you post there will be questions .....

Cudos to M S W for posting and sure it was a lifetime experience but can only suggest dont go quiet on it and put in the detail and pics if available.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Arjun,

Because he was VERY obviously sold a pup and by ignoring the situation, he will continue to think it was a lion hunt and not a canned lion shoot and so will others who might, because of this report then make the same mistake.

The fact that he's an agent who might also sell a similar travesty to others makes it even more important that he knows exactly what it really was.

When lion hunting is finally banned as it surely one day will be, one of the major contributory factors to that ban will be these bloody charlatans who misrepresent these disgusting and despicable lion slaughters as real lion hunts. Mad

One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted Hide Post
For us that are into Guns and caliber.
What Guns Where used for this dangerouse Hunt?
Could Not have been good enough?? since you want a 500NE
:-P if i was There and saw the Lion that close, i tink i would piss my pants
And Take a double discharge, 1140grain hitting the Lion.

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

Posts: 39 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bow to Steve on this, as well as agree.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had an exciting hunt. Would love to see some pics.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
I bow to Steve on this, as well as agree.

I must bow to both of you at that sir.

I asked which reserve, knowing a couple of the operators in RSA, knowing that a couple of them DID in fact have surplus animals from places like Kruger, but kinda doubting that they " ate too many animals". More likely, that the time for their hunting had arrived, and a suitable sport was in camp.

OP, please understand, I am taking nothing away from your hunt. You were there, we were not. But the creativity of the lion trade in SA never ceases to amaze me. It is remarkably similar to the put and take buff hunting in Texas - ie, got to hunt hard for an hour or so, tracks and critters hard to find, then voila, there he is, suitable drama to follow.

Sometimes... as in this case, more drama than was planned for! Glad all turned out OK.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 351 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
250 lions in ones career, surely not possible
with "wild Lions"

Nick

Ronnie Blackbeard from Botswana has taken 300+ lion in his career.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Gentlemen if some of you need to blow off steam or have too much time on your hands, go and attack some anti-hunters online who are trying their level best to stop ALL lion hunting AND ALL HUNTING PERIOD. WHY pick on a man who has been on a Lion hunt, ask pointed questions as to the kind of lion hunt he went on, how experienced or inexperienced his PH was and generally try your level best to make him look small?

The man is proud of his own achievement and even calls his post "Kalahari Lion Hunt Of A Lifetime". It may not fit with your dream but that's his business. If you don't feel the need to be happy for him then stay quiet.

Yes it is a free world and you can say what you want, but maybe if you have nothing nice to say it is better to shut up.

Only the other day there was so much hand wringing and discussion about how one needs to deal with anti-hunters who are attacking hunters online and defending rights of hunters and then some people here think its cool to demeanor another person who posts his hunt report.

I know several people who used to post their hunt reports here on a regular basis who have completely stopped because of this very BS.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com

+10000

Posts: 425 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Great report! I am glad you had an excellent adventure. Thanks!!

Posts: 241 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Greatest memory, One in a million chance to earn! Glad to know it ended up without any accident!

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I sorta figured the OP knew exactly what type of lion hunt he was going on as he is a booking agent and offers South African hunts by an operator who offers a selection of lions. Kind of figured it may have been a hunt report/advertisement rolled into one and doubt he was under any sort of illusion that the hunt was anything other than what it was.

But I could be wrong………….

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com

Yep! tu2

Especially this part!

quote:
but maybe if you have nothing nice to say it is better to shut up.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
I sorta figured the OP knew exactly what type of lion hunt he was going on as he is a booking agent and offers South African hunts by an operator who offers a selection of lions. Kind of figured it may have been a hunt report/advertisement rolled into one and doubt he was under any sort of illusion that the hunt was anything other than what it was.

But I could be wrong………….

I kind of figured the same thing and as an agent, he certainly should know the difference between the two things but IF (note the big IF) he did know and despite knowing, still made the post he did then he's misrepresenting the product just as surely as it sounds like the guy who sold him the hunt must have misrepresented it to him IF (again, note the big IF) he genuinely thought is was a real wild lion hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoyed your hunt.

@Arjun
Spot on tu2

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the moderators should have a rule where people can only say

Great hunt
Awesome hunt
Exceptional hunt

I say this is an exceptional hunt cause the hunter who is in the business of selling hunts as a booking agent was uninformed about the very nature of the hunt.

But most likely its just me being negative and my idea of "wild" is wrong and outdated on this specific forum.

I also apologize in advance for offending anyone.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the record, I have always said, ALWAYS said that I have no problem with SA fenced lion hunts as I truly feel it takes pressure off actual wild lions. I never said it could not be exciting, or turn dangerous. Yet I have continued to say, and will say here, again, please stop saying these are WILD LIONS. That is not true and is misrepresenting the facts. I am glad this fellow has joined AR, welcome him, and pleased he enjoyed his hunt. Just understand, there is a difference between free and farmed. Not wanting to start a boxing match, to be clear.

Dave Fulson

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
For the record, I have always said and always will say that canned lion shooting gives no benefit whatsoever to the wild lion populations because wild lion populations are on quota and therefore only a set number can be shot. Therefore the only benefit of captive bred lions is to the unethical and unscrupulous bastards that sell or shoot them and that this despicable practice will be one of the major contributory facors to the eventual banning of all lion hunting and eventually all lions outside of zoos.

And I make no apology for that statement nor any offence it may cause. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
WORTH READING!!

Perhaps people won't be so reluctant to post hunt reports in the future.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
WORTH READING!!

Perhaps people won't be so reluctant to post hunt reports in the future.

Stuff that for a lark.

If a hunter is misled into a dodgy hunt, he deserves to be made aware of the fact because if he isn't, others will read his ill informed comments, assume they're true and might make the same mistake which at the very least ensures the dodgy bastards offering such things stay in business for longer.

If an agent is misled into a dodgy hunt or misrepresents a dodgy product, he may sell that that to others who repeat the mistake.

If we don't police ourselves, then someone will eventually do it for us and if that happens, they sure as hell won't be pro hunting and when they do ban lion hunting, all the forgivers and excusers will look round for someone to blame when if fact, the blame will lie with them and the purveyors and consumers of such despicable and unethical practices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How to win friends and influence people.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote