New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo and Roan in Benin
 Login/Join

posted

Dates: March 24 – April 5, 2017

Booking Agent: Dennis Rollinger (Caracal)

PH: Dennis Rollinger

Species Hunted: Savanna Buffalo, Roan

Species Taken: Savanna Buffalo (2), Roan, Hartebeest, Reedbuck

Rifle/Ammo: CZ 550, 416 Rigby, Handloads with 400 gr. Barnes TSX

After many years of reading others posts, I decided to add one. I hope this post turns out right. After going thru this process I really appreciate the time others have spent posting their reports in the past.

I recently returned from a buffalo/roan safari that was offered by AR’s Caracal in Benin. After hunting many times in the past in Southern and Eastern Africa, I decided it was time for something new and West Africa did not disappoint.

I flew from LAX to Paris and then on to Cotonou via Air France and it was pretty uneventful, except at my initial check-in the LAX agent tried to tell me that my ammo container did not meet Air Frances regulations. My ammo was packaged in a locked hard “plastic” ammo box that was then also packed inside a cardboard (fiberboard) box. I’ve been through this before with Air France and it’s a good thing I always carry a copy of the airlines own policy for rifle and ammo transportation. Once the agent returned from “checking with her superiors,” I kindly offered her a copy of her own policy and the issue was resolved. In the end her comment was “that’s not what I am used to seeing.” BTW – a “plastic” ammo container is not listed in the Air France requirements, but a cardboard (fiberboard box) is. Go figure! I also had to resubmit copies of my approved Air France rifle and ammo documents with the boarding agents in Paris before I could board my flight to Cotonou. But once again, I always keep extra copies of all these documents with me when traveling with firearms, so there was no delay. On my return flights to the US, no one even asked about my firearm.

Flights arrive late in the evening in Cotonou, and Dennis had a representative there at the airport to meet me and get me thru the local customs check-in. I then spent the night at the IBIS Hotel before the next days 12 hour drive to the concession area.

Benin is land of motorcycles! There are 100 motorcycles for every car in the country, and it was fascinating to see what you can transport on a motorcycle. I would never have imagined that you can get a family of 5 on a 125 cc motorcycle!

During my whole stay everything went smoothly and Dennis and the staff were always very professional and concerned that I wanted for nothing. It was also great to have Dennis there as my interpreter, since Benin is French speaking country and my only language is English. Dennis’ English is perfect and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing of his other adventures.

Some readers may recognize the camp from previous reports. While a bit dated, the camp was clean, well kept, and the staff very attentive.

Buffalo and Roan were my primary interests and I was very happy with the trophies I took. I was also lucky that Dennis had offered me a second Buff tag before I left home and I took advantage of it. This hunt was during their summer season, and it was quite a shock to the system to go from 60 degree weather at home to the 110 degree days in Benin!

Plains game numbers are limited in the area, but I was able to take a nice Hartebeest and reedbuck as well. We also saw elephant, warthog, duiker, oribi, and bushbuck.

The week before I arrived 2 elephants had been poached in the area. Unfortunately even though the Benin elephants have very small ivory, they are coming under increased pressure from poachers. It was also apparent from the stories that the local authorities are completely useless, and/or disinterested in addressing the situation.

One day we caught this poacher (he was from neighboring Tonga) not too far from the poached elephant site. He was turned over to the local authorities, but after a few days they didn’t know what to do with him and wanted to turn him loose! The camp staff was understandably very upset and actually made a trip to the police hearing to argue against this. Don’t know what happened, it wasn’t resolved before I left.

Roasted Roan Loin – delicious!! The camp chef was very good and I always looked forward to the meals.

By the 6th day I had taken all of the animals I wanted, so we took a trip into the nearby Pendjari National Park for a bit of sight-seeing. Although I was a bit reluctant at first (since we were hunting literally just outside its borders), I didn’t think it would offer much of a different view. I was wrong, and the numbers of buffalo, elephant, roan, hartebeest, warthog, and cob de buffon we saw were quite impressive. It was a very worthwhile side trip.

After returning to Cotonou, I also visited Lake Ganvie. A local village built over the lake water years ago as safety from slavers. There are over 20,000 people living in this over the water village! It was a fascinating to see such a large, unique and active community.

Benin has little infrastructure for fuel. Filling up at the road side gas stations was always an adventure.

Local Gas station

You always see fascinating sights in Africa. Check out the trailer tongue on this vehicle!

Benin is a great place to hunt and visit. After reading previous posts about West Africa I was prepared for the worst, but that was not the case. Everything went smoothly. If you with an un-rushed, and relaxed frame of mind you will have a good time. At no time did I experience any negative feelings and the people were always friendly. I look forward to returning again in the future. I can see a need for French lessons in my future...

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies, I have always found west Africa very interesting, glad you had a good time and thank you for sharing!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Thank for sharing your hunt... West Africa is different from the East/South

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Great Hunt and Trophies!!! Congrats

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and trophies. Thank you very much for sharing with us.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool hunt and nice trophies! West Africa has grown on me after my first hunt in Benin in '08. Have also been to Burkina Faso and Cameroon twice. Fascinating countries with good game populations! Different, but in a good way...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a great report.
This destination is top of my wish list so your informative post is well received.

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Well done on your safari. Some familiar faces there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9898 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Thanks, looks like quite the adventure.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's great to see a post from different countries.

Great trophies and thanks for writing it up.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12589 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you see that "stud" warthog with the hartebeest in the Park? Congratulations on great hunt and fine report.

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a very successful hunt. Congrats. Nice animals and a different experience from some other parts of Africa. On my radar for a hunt sometime. Thanks for sharing. Bruce

Posts: 375 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Looks like you shot some nice trophies. Thanks for the report. Benin is definitely on my list.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
enjoyed the pics. Congrats on a great hunt...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great adventure. Thanks for sharing!

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a very successful hunt and I'm sure quite the adventure.
I've had Dennis in camp. Always a gentleman.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Great report! Thanks for sharing the many different aspects of your trip.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done!

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
What a cool trip and I don't mean the temps...lol. Congrats on some really nice trophies! LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! An interesting report and nice trophies. I hunted the exact same area and can only agree it is a unique experience. Hunting there is a lot mir difficult then in other areas, so again congratulations on the successful hunt!

Posts: 114 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 February 2013Reply With Quote