Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes Hunting is Ugly.
 Login/Join

Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
Leo (how ironic)
Hope you are on the mend after your forearm ORIF - I'm sure lots of interesting bugs had to be washed out of there!
I went on my first safari to RSA at the end of August and topped it off with a huge male lion...beleive me it was the most intense 10 hrs of my hunting life. He was very big, very real, and very pissed that we didn't let him get his 20 hrs of sleep that day. After ten hours of tracking him he waited for us - twenty feet up a friggin' camelthorn tree!
Anyone who looks down their nose at RSA dangerous game needs his head examined.
Thanks for the great story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had your story. But I am glad I don't have those terrifying seconds of memory with my arm in a lion's mouth and my wife on the ground.
I think you displayed remarkable presence of mind and control in the most extreme of situations.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Sawbones".

Congratulations on what sounds like a great hunt in RSA,! The ability of a angry lion in close proximity to make your mind focus on what needs to be done is probably the reason we do this!

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Brian!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I dont know how i could lost this post ,but trust me if this happened to Leo it could happens to everyone .Leo is really fast with a gun and deadly.Great report ,and everyone in this hunt was an expert ,this things just happens on DG .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much for tame, drugged, RSA Lions!

Wow!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Looks like a flesh wound. Get it doctored good so you can go hunt kudu.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...yes, a great story.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
No guarantees with "dangerous game", except that even when everything is done right it can go wrong. Your story is instructive -- very happy you can tell it!!!!

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would like to carry a holstered heavy revolver on a hunt like this.....a .455 Webley or a modern .44 something in addition to a rifle...

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have been working with Leo and Jackie and ther are really good with guns and have a lot of hunting experience ,leo is a killing machine with shotguns and double rifles so DG can take everyone in certain circustances.HUNTING WITH JUAN P. POZZI AND BOBBYmMORE A WATER BUFFALO ALMOST KILLED ME LAST YEAR after being hittedc 4 times with a 458

Posts: 108 | Location: Cordoba | Registered: 15 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo Pfadt:
Sure, now you tell me!
Ok seriously, I have complete faith in my wife's shooting and I have complete faith in our PH. I honestly don't think that a couple more holes in the cat would have made any difference. I guess I never really contemplated the cat getting to us.
In hindsight I wish I would have had a short barreled Benelli M-1 with extended magazine and slugs!

Alls well that ends well!!

I'm positive next time you will remember to bring one! Eeker

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little bow hunting experience would go a long
for the PH to learn you don't go right in on a wounded animal for fear of losing it or in this case something far worse.

I trust my wife's shooting also but my wife hasn't been in a life or death situation let alone many which it takes to be predictable.
Few of us have, so you don't know what you would do. That's why we have the PH and I would say he did his job but he was in too big a hurry to do it.

I enjoyed your story and in the heat of the moment you went on auto pilot and did the best you could without time to think. Kenny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great story. Glad it ended well. It could have been worse. AIU

One of Us
Picture of Buffalo Tim
posted Hide Post
Great adventure...turning out well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience with lions in the Kalahari with Jamy Traut. THey are scary beasts. Glad you are ok.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
I think I would like to carry a holstered heavy revolver on a hunt like this.....a .455 Webley or a modern .44 something in addition to a rifle...
Yes - the Webley would provide a handy secondary club!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Get well soon!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I wouldn't touch the VC. Glad you made it back.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Hope you are doing well. Today I was thinking a 375 H&H would be the perfect Lion round. After reading this story I am leaning towards the 500!!! Eeker

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your concern. i am doing fine!!
in my humble opinion the .375 is plenty of rifle for lion hunting. We just got in a situation where she was not going to stop no matter what she was shot with until she bled out.

Leo

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing story!

Question: is how this thread only rates 3 stars...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote