New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes Hunting is Ugly.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've spent my adult life listening to stories how people have been hurt. The words I often say after I hear some of these adventures and I think it is appropriate here as well are,
"I am glad I'm talking to you rather than about you and I am glad this is your story not mine." Wow!!!

Where are you going pheasant hunting in South Dakota?

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are you going pheasant hunting in S.D.

Near Lemmon, SD.

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope your hunt goes very well as my daughter, wife and I will be in Lyman and Tripp Counties.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am speechless!

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
WOW!! Hell of a story....

Congratulations to your wife on a great trophy, and I'm glad that you guys came out on top of the whole ordeal. Good luck with your surgery, and prayers up for a speedy recovery.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought I was reading Capstick there for a moment. Two thumbs up for you and the rest of your group. I would keep that VC just the way it is. Wish you well with that arm.

Scott

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
Now thats a man sized adventure, glad your lady is ok.

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 134 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twr
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it out relatively unscathed, it could have been much worse. We are praying for your quick recovery.

I would leave the VC as is (maybe seal it from the elements, that's it). It would also stay in the family to be handed down generation to generation (along with the story and pictures).

todd

Blessed; not lucky

Posts: 49 | Location: SC | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OUCH. Glad it wasn't worse.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Excellent reason for Global Rescue one never knows...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We did not use Global Rescue, but had purchased Travel guard ins. And so far they have worked with us. We had to pay all the bills incurred. But, we have now submitted our claim to them, so we will see how the reimbursement goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW. What a story. Congrats to everyone who stood their ground and helped. Good wishes on a speedy recovery.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Sounds like everyone handled the situation as well as they could, congratulations on surviving.I hope your recovery goes smoothly. Just curious, are you having a rug made? Talk about a conversation piece.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh.. That'll buff right out!!

No, truly glad your ok. It sounds as if all performed as the need called for, I wouldn't hesitate in the least to hunt with your PH & crew.. Matter of fact I'd be proud to.. Hats off to you for standing your ground.. Much respect to all..

I also hope this Lioness will be a spectacular mount in your home.. Enshrined as the Warrior Queen she truly is..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 15 October 2012 22:56 Hide Post
WOW! Sounds like everyone handled the situation as well as they could, congratulations on surviving.I hope your recovery goes smoothly. Just curious, are you having a rug made? Talk about a conversation piece.

quote:
Just curious, are you having a rug made? Talk about a conversation piece.

We are definitely having rug with a raised head made out of her and she will be displayed prominently in the living room. Haven't decided yet whether to have the holes repaired or leave them.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
you should leave them to match the holes in your arm!

That rug is going to be seriously awesome.

DRSS

Posts: 37 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full Mount in the springing attack position..

Just sayin.. Wink

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As many others have said WOW! what a story. Glad you are both still with us.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another.... WOW!!!
Dang, I'm glad you're okay and survived the ORDEAL!!!

Dang... Eeker Eeker Eeker

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OMG!!! Scary to say the least!

D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of something I was taught in my early teens by a karate instructor when discussing being attacked with blades/bats etc. "sacrifice the arm". Your instincts were great, stick something other than your face in her mouth.

It would be really special to have a mount made with her up on her rear legs mouth open is it were around your arm. Visitors could hold their arms up and imagine having all that weight hanging on them trying to rip their arms off.

I'd take a couple of the bullets and have them made into jewelry, a pendant for the wife and cut the base off one and make a ring or someting for me, maybe cufflinks? too cool.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Let's hope Travel Guard Ins. steps up and pays it all. Glad you're on the mend! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
So much for the "put and take", "canned" lion hunts in South Africa! Eeker Good luck with your recovery.

Mike, the trick is to not get in the cage with them Big Grin sofa

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
So much for the "put and take", "canned" lion hunts in South Africa! Eeker Good luck with your recovery.

Mike, the trick is to not get in the cage with them Big Grin sofa

Ouch! That hurt worse than the bite!

Mike

Posts: 21221 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zzz:
[QUOTE] At the spot she was laying we found a chunk of lung. At this point I thought we would walk up, give her a finishing shot and it would be over, almost too easy.

Maybe a good time for the PH to take up a bad habit and have a cigarette or two? Those cats can be pretty vindictive, especially alive..

I have never realy understood why PHs want to immediatly take up the trail of wounded dangerous game. Like zzz suggest. Given the description of her wounds, had yall given her a good 30 minutes she should have been dead as a hammer from blood lose alone.

I am glad you survived and hope you heal completely.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have never realy understood why PHs want to immediatly take up the trail of wounded dangerous game. Like zzz suggest. Given the description of her wounds, had yall given her a good 30 minutes she should have been dead as a hammer from blood lose alone.

Actually my wife did ask the PH if they ever give animals time to bleed out or stiffen up before follow-ups and he said that they don't like to see them suffer. In hindsight, i think a half hour wait would have been a good thing.

Just got a cast on today, but the bites are healing really well, so that is a good thing!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE -Actually my wife did ask the PH if they ever give animals time to bleed out or stiffen up before follow-ups and he said that they don't like to see them suffer. In hindsight, i think a half hour wait would have been a good thing.

I have followed a lioness with one of the most experienced cat hunters in Africa (Lou Hallamore.) We didn't know if she was dead or not. In any case we jumped on the back of the truck after about 30 minutes. Yes it was dark. We polked in and out of the bush on full alert, a foxtrot delta situation for sure, and found her dead.

Who knows what may have taken place if we had rushed in to beat the coming darkness. Thank your lucky stars a real tragedy didn't occur. Another injury or death of Clients, PH, or staff is devestating.

Also- I repeat. THOSE TRACKERS ARE HEROS. Who knows what may have happened to you without having that VC in your hands to feed her. I have had more than one instance when something seriously scary is potentially happening, and after all the action is over all that is left standing there are hunters and a ph.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ph did not have any extra ammunition with him on the follow up? Eeker

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes he did, but there was no time to reload a magazine gun. I got a cartridge in the right barrel an of the double, just barely got it closed in time to shove it in her mouth.

Also, zzz you are right the Trackers are Heroes!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo Pfadt:
quote:

Yes he did, but there was no time to reload a magazine gun. I got a cartridge in the right barrel an of the double, just barely got it closed in time to shove it in her mouth.

If he still had ammo then why did he not quickly load another around and shoot the lioness again instead of grabbing the rifle by the muzzle and using it as a club? The lioness did not have him in her mouth did she? Was his name Clark Kent? rotflmo

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]If he still had ammo then why did he not quickly load another around and shoot the lioness again instead of grabbing it by the muzzle and using it as a club? The lioness did not have him in her mouth did she? Was his name Clark Kent? rotflmo

NO Time!!!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great story! What an experience!

It never ceases to amaze me when a rare animal will keep going even after major hits to the heart!

Two wound channels in the heart & still ready to fight! What a well earned trophy! clap

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
quote:

If he still had ammo then why did he not quickly load another around and shoot the lioness again instead of grabbing it by the muzzle and using it as a club? The lioness did not have him in her mouth did she? Was his name Clark Kent? rotflmo

Sigh!

Once said predator is already on top of a hunter and chewing on him, it is not the time to start filling it full of holes. Jeez, do you have any idea how fast this shit happens?

I just love all the arm chair judges on this sort of thing, most of whom have never been in this sort of a situation themselves. But, they just know they would have done things differently.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Skyline!!

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Glad that you are (relatively) ok. Great adventure! But why, when lion hunting, were YOU not also carrying a rifle?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure, now you tell me!
Ok seriously, I have complete faith in my wife's shooting and I have complete faith in our PH. I honestly don't think that a couple more holes in the cat would have made any difference. I guess I never really contemplated the cat getting to us.
In hindsight I wish I would have had a short barreled Benelli M-1 with extended magazine and slugs!

Alls well that ends well!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a really terrific attitude about this experience.

I would have been packing though, if allowed. If not, I would have wanted to find out how I could be packing. I always want to be packing. When I'm not packing, I'm hiking, and when I'm hiking, I make sure I'm packing. Just sayin'.

And waiting for 30 minutes after the first shot(s) would have been super smart, especially on a lion!

Posts: 70 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not one to play Mon. morning quarterback & won't start now.
Just thankful that things didn't go any worse than they did & hope your arm heals completely.
I for one would leave that double rifle just like it is, what a story to pass along to a loved one when you are through with it.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
quote:

If he still had ammo then why did he not quickly load another around and shoot the lioness again instead of grabbing it by the muzzle and using it as a club? The lioness did not have him in her mouth did she? Was his name Clark Kent? rotflmo

Sigh!

Once said predator is already on top of a hunter and chewing on him, it is not the time to start filling it full of holes. Jeez, do you have any idea how fast this shit happens?

I just love all the arm chair judges on this sort of thing, most of whom have never been in this sort of a situation themselves. But, they just know they would have done things differently.

+1 Skyline.

glad the adventure went well.

all the best.

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some experience in fighting a lioness and that was mano a mano , no weapon and I beat her up. She had attacked me and I got the upper hand .Ok ,so she was only 4 months old ! Roll Eyes

Leo, many thanks for the story .It should remind us all that lions are "dangerous game " and sometimes things go poorly. Hope you heal quickly and go back to hunting. coffee