New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes Hunting is Ugly.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
September 26, 2012 Day 5 of my wife's lioness hunt in the Northwest Province of South Africa. Up to this point we had seen a few lion tracks, all male,nothing worth further investigation. My wife shot several plains game animals, with her new VC 450/400. Because no matter how much you practice it is always good to get some trigger time on live game.
This morning shortly after leaving camp we cut a fairly small lion track. It was not as fresh as we would have liked and decided not to follow it. Not long after that we cut a second lion track really fresh and large enough that the PH wasn't sure whether it was a male or female, but certainly worth following. After a short tracking job(less than a mile) we spotted a very large lioness in sparse cover, she was crouched down legs tucked under her head down on the sand watching us. With not many options at this point we angled towards her to cut the distance and get a better angle. She tolerated us getting to within about 50 yds, but kept shifting towards us so we could not get the broadside shot we wanted. The sticks went up, at the shot she jumped high in the air and spun around sounding very unhappy, the second shot went off just as she ran away from us, just grazing her doing no damage, pretty exciting stuff!! At the spot she was laying we found a chunk of lung and a surprising amount of blood.
The lioness only ran off a few hundred yds. and we soon spotted her laying flat in the sand 4 feet out to the side, head down flat. (At this point I thought we would walk up, give her a finishing shot and it would be over, almost too easy). At 33 steps the sticks went up and just before the shot the cat raised her head boom! there was no longer a cat laying in the sand, but a angry blur hurtling directly towards my wife at unbelievable speed very low to the ground! Boom! no change! (I want to take a second here to explain that up to this point I have given you a narrative of exactly what i remember. From here on i only remember snapshots of what actually happened and the rest of the story is compiled from what myself, the PH, my wife and the 2 trackers remember).
The PH shot the cat in the chest(stem to Stern) with his Mauser .458 Lott, then again broadside at a bout 2 ft. My wife took one or two steps back with the empty rifle, stepped in a hole and fell flat on her back. Mid fall Pete one of the trackers grabbed the rifle and passed it to me. I had 2 cartridges in my hand and managed to get one in the right barrel, got the rifle closed. One of the snapshots i distinctly remember, she had her paw around my shoulder trying to pull my head into her open mouth (luckily the Lott took about 4" of bone out of her upper leg) I shoved the VC and my left arm in her mouth and began rolling around in the sand. She somehow spit out the rifle but not my arm. Its funny how your mind works, i remember 3 thoughts while laying half under this cat in the Kalahari sand. 1. I bet this is going to hurt tomorrow. 2. What will i feed her after she is done with my left arm. 3. this would be a great time to hear a really loud boom! Unfortunately the Ph has spent his 3rd and last shot!
The PH is now holding the Mauser by the muzzle and using as a club! Breaking the stock completely in two at the wrist(It also has teeth marks) Lucas the 2nd tracker is doing the same thing with a piece of wood that he had picked up.
I think it is important to realize here that even though this makes a very good bar story before the cat got to me she had received 3 good hits from a 450/400 and 2 or 3 from a 458 Lott. She had 2 wound channels through her heart. You have to admire her tenacity, but realize she was far from full strength when she got to me.
The cat was effectively through,and Pete managed to pull me away from her. In the aftermath of what just happened,and because the cat was still making noise and breathing there were probably more insurance shots put into her than necessary.

As you may have noticed i have not mentioned the outfitter. We all know that this being the internet you have to deal with some, shall we say negativity?? Everyone involved in this safari was absolutely fantastic! The PH did everything humanly possible, the trackers not only stood their ground, but did everything in their power to help. The Safari operator and his wife were almost immediately on scene and took command of the situation, treated us like they would treat a member of their own family and secured us the best possible treatment.
We will return and hunt with them again, maybe not lions. Smiler

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Holy sh-t! What a story! Glad everyone survived!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lion isn't called dangerous game for nothing. The lioness tenacity in this case is noting short of incredible. The lioness looks well shot but she was determined to take a pound or two of flesh with her. Everyone did what they were suppose to do but every once in a while stuff happens. Glad you are able to live to tell about it and show the scars. Rather imagine you will have a scary movie in your dreams for a while.

Tim

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy sh-t! What a story!

What he said! Your PH and tracker did a heck of a job.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story. Glad you all made it without too much damage. Sounds like everyone was doing what they should have been. Things happen mighty fast.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of houston
posted Hide Post
Holy shit sums it up WOW! thanks for sharing!jeff~

jeff haugland

Posts: 43 | Location: S/W Iowa | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What type of bullets were used ? Are the bullets in the photo from the lion ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy a different kind of report! Looks like you took a major hit, hope everything turns out well. Kudos to you, and all the folks that were with you, and congats to your wife, everyone did well under extreme duress!!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
awesome story, thank you so much for sharing.

DRSS

Posts: 37 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the spot she was laying we found a chunk of lung. At this point I thought we would walk up, give her a finishing shot and it would be over, almost too easy.

Maybe a good time for the PH to take up a bad habit and have a cigarette or two? Those cats can be pretty vindictive, especially alive..

Wow, big story, thank goodness things didn't get uglier.

BTW, Those trackers are heros. They could have disappeared as fast as the lioness came.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow were your ever lucky/unlucky. Sometime hunting does turn ugly!
That was quite a story, thanks so much for posting it.
Hopefully you've recovered or are working on fully recovering.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, you will fully recover and you certainly will have a story to go along with that chewed up forearm!
Figured there was a story better than the picture.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heart in mouth story, Leo. Class act all around!

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leo,

I'm very happy that you guys came out mostly intact. Did she break any bones in your arm?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's a hell of an ordeal, Leo. I'm glad that you made it out of there in as good as shape as you did.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12536 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'm glad things didn't turn out worse!

But, for the life of me, I don't understand why the PH only had 3 rounds when hunting DG!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leo

Great Report and well told! I hope the arm repairs will sort things out.

Look forward to seeing you guys in Harrisburg.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What type of bullets were used ? Are the bullets in the photo from the lion ?

300 gr. Barnes TSX - (designed for the old 405 WIN.) @2250 fps.

Yes all three were found under the skin at the but and the rear legs, i assume after entering the chest area.

One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
Leo, what an amazing story! Glad it ended well. As they say, "It's the dead ones that kill you."

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did she break any bones in your arm?

Going in Monday morning to have screws and a plate put in the arm. We have a really cool xray picture of the tooth mark in the bone where it is broken.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Sad that you have to leave out PH info, outfitter, etc but after watching some of the trolls on here I don't blame you. I am glad you are all safe. Scratched up but safe.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
Leo, a great report on an amazing incident.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! You have quite a story to tell the grandkids someday. It goes to show that lions are dangerous whether free range or on a fenced game ranch. I hope your arm fully heals.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1848 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One mean kitty! You did the right thing by feeding her things in increasing order of importance---rifle, then left forearm, then...

Imagine what an unwounded male would do when a fatally injured lioness can do this!

Glad it worked out well in the end.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...now thats up close and personal...

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Eish man... you were lucky. Good thing you and not the wife I guess!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a day, eh! tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So much for the "put and take", "canned" lion hunts in South Africa! Eeker Good luck with your recovery.

Mike

Posts: 21199 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Southern Lions can be very cheeky----

Good luck for all- glad it wasn't any worse.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome story and hope you are OK and
your arm gets better.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ONE HELL OF A STORY!!!! I had to add it, just couldn't leave it alone. Also makes me happy that my wife doesn't hunt. She would enjoy watching me be lion food or a toy. Wound it on purpose and break out the popcorn, she'd be in heaven..............
Glad you're gonna be ok, watch for infection!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you are right handed and can still type.
Thanks for sharing the story.

Get well.
You will have a permanent reminder of this hunt.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one heck of a story Leo. You are a very lucky man. Looking at the wounds you sustained tells me a lot. The lion was pretty mad and if your forearm had been rotated just a bit more, she would have bagged your ulnar nerve. Ask the doc what that would have meant for you when you see him next.

I can only say you are very lucky.

I would have that VC forearm mounted close to her skull. I am sure this is something you will never forget.

Cheers,

Matt M

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
All I can say is wow! Prayers for a fast recovery!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eeker

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I'm glad everyone turned out ok. Your story will be told long after the wounds have healed, if thats any help!

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have not only needed my arm cleaned & bandaged, but my arse as well!
Glad you survived to tell the tale, I'm sure it will be told over & over & over & over, I know I would.
I'd make my buddies buy me a beer everytime they wanted to hear it.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the well wishes! We appreciate the concern and support from all the AR family. Mom's VC is probably going back to France to get fitted with a new fore end.(not sure exactly why) because i am sure that it will always wear the good luck charm fore end on hunting trips!! Wink

Surgery tomorrow a.m. hopefully leaving Thursday for pheasant hunting in SD. Pheasants may get a break this year. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Well, you can now officially add "Mauled by Lion" to your resume! Cool

Seriously though, anyone who just thinks they are "cuddly and cute little animals" needs to grow up. Man is at the top of the food chain because of our brains...the simple fact to accept is that "mano e cato", the cat wins.

Good job man!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leo,

Not ten minutes ago I got bit through the frog of the hand by a 25 Lb terrier while breaking up a fight. And it stings like the dickens. I don't want to imagine what your lion bites must feel like!

Get well soon.