New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Buff hunt with Classic Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are some photos ( I hope !) from the Buffalo hunt with Vaughn Fulton of Classic Safari's. I will have to say he is a class act and has a great camp, staff and put on a great hunt.

My Buffalo.

I had the opportunity to shoot some Zebras.

We also had a problem animal permit for a croc. Here is Brent from VA along with Vaughn and the entire staff

Brent also took a great Elephant and a buff. Here is his buff.

I would be happy to share details of the hunt with any who would like them.

Rhyde

Posts: 61 | Location: OH | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies! Thanks.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eastern United States | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please do give us the details on your hunt. Also, if a pic of your buddy's ele is available, go ahead and post that too. Nice critters.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Excellent buffalo! Congrats on what looked like a great adventure! Details, please...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started looking for a buffalo hunt in 2006 at SCI in Reno. I met and talked with outfitters and they all had good choices and were around the same price. I met with Brent and his wife Dana and they said that my wife and I should go hunting with them in 2006. So the plans were made and money sent. Around the middle of 2006 I ended up moving back to Ohio from Iowa and had buy a new house. That usually ends up changing the hunting funds and we were no exception. 2006 was one of them big “0†birthdays for me and I was bound a determined to hunt Buffalo. Had a heart to heart with the wife and she said to me “Go huntingâ€. We made the changes to the airfare and I made plans to meet Dana in DC. Did I say that Brent was there the entire month of November? When I met Dana at the airport she reported that Brent had just taken his elephant. It turned out to be 45 pounds on each side. The trip was nothing special to report. Flight to Joberg, connect to Windhoek. Arrived on the last flight, my gun was there and no luggage for Dana. We stayed that night at a friends place and the next day her bags arrived with Fred and Ghert.

We then proceeded to drive the rest of the day and most of the next up to camp in the strip. (Note: if you are making this trip, FLY !) See photos, 275 pound man in the back seat of a bucky for 14 hours = no fun and soar knees. Arrived at camp in the afternoon, unpacked and shot to make sure the rifle was still on. Had a good meal and off to bed. Woke the next morning and packed for first day of my hunt. We drove up into the strip to the kaseka area. Picked up the local tracker and we were off for the hunt. As we left camp we spotted a large herd of buffalo. I was excited until I was told no hunting in herds. My jaw must have hung open as Fred told me that unlike the TV shows, they did not hunt the herds as they didn’t want to drive the buffalo out of the area. So, off again up into the channels. As we drove up into the channels someone on the back spotted a small herd of bulls. We got out and started off on foot.

We had a good pace going until I found out that walking on grass covered elephant prints can be tricky footing. We had to slow down the pace to keep me from going head first in the ground. We were able to go through low spots and get to within 100 yards of the buffalo. There were 7 bulls just coming out of a mud pit. As they topped the grassy knoll, Fred said to me take the one at the back. Sticks went up and he stood perfect for a broadside shot. Boom! Shoot again, I heard as the buffalo was running away. Ready, aim, where did he go? They all came out from behind the small hill and he was at the back, Boom! In the side, slightly high, blood everywhere. As he spun, Boom! Again in the side. He dropped, and I thought finally. I then heard Fred say, reload. 3 more shells in the gun. I look up to where the buffalo dropped and I hear Grert say, he’s getting up. He stands up and starts to come towards us. He stops about 60 yards away. He looks right at me and sticks he nose straight out. That’s when Fred said, shot again, now. I look through the scope and all I see is horn. I’m thinking, not the horns, not the horns. He turned his head to the left slightly and Boom! In the neck, down he goes again. We wait about a minute and I hear a slight bellow. When you watch the TV shows, I always thought, yea right. At that point Fred and Grert both tell me job well done and let’s go look at the buffalo. When we walked up and I saw the buffalo up close you couldn’t have knocked the smile off of me with a baseball bat. I had done what I set out to do, get a mature buffalo. I was blessed with both a mature buffalo and a 40†too. How’s that for the first day of a hunt?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Vaughan said they had taken some good buff this year and I am glad to finally see some pictures.

Great bosses on yours!

Thanks for the report.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great trophies, Rhydet, and great report!

As I read it you couldn't have knocked the smile off ME with a baseball bat!

Congrats!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13440 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rhydet, great write up. I'll be there with Vaughan in August of next year. I can't wait.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eastern United States | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and a great hunting story!

129 days until I head over to try for the same thing. If I have near the luck you did I'll be one happy hunter.

Posts: 105 | Location: Missoula MT | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and the pictures. That is a very nice buff. I can't wait to go. Just 507 days until I leave, but who is counting?

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I'm booked for a week in the Caprivi with Vaughan in June, as well as a week in his plains game concession. What plains game did you see in the Caprivi?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a lot. Zebra, Hippo, Croc, Buffalo and Elephant. But I will saw that I was not looking for a lot of other animals either. We had Hyena in camp every night, we just could not hook up to take one.

Rhyde

posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great Buffalo. Looks and sounds like you had a fantastic hunt.

My son and I hunted plains game with Vaughan/Ghert last July and had a great time. I don't think you could hunt with a better group of people. Plan on going back to hunt Buff with them in 2009, maybe some plains game with Ghert as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rhydet very nice buffalo, what caliber and rifle were you using.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a .375 H&H. It's a CZ Safari that I won at the Badgerland SCI banquet. I used Federal 300 grain Barnes Triple X bullets. When I talked to the PH and told him what I had brought with me, he said just load the Triple X, you won't need the solids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what happened the rest of the day....

Now that I had the buffalo, the work started. We were actually able to drive the truck to where the buffalo laid. This made getting him into the truck much easier. I decided on a shoulder mount and the guys skinned the head and left the hide on the rest of the meet. They cut up the entire buffalo in less than 2 hours. We loaded up and headed for the local police station to drop off the meet for the village. Once we had dropped off the meat, we headed for Lion’s Den resort to have a beer and celebrate. After having a nice cold beer, we drove around to the other side of the lodge. Some of the guys were finishing the skinning of an elephant hide another hunter had taken the day before. It had been raining the entire day and the hides were wet and needed to get salt on them soon. We proceeded to load the entire elephants skin onto the Land Cruiser. Yep, the hunter wanted all of the hide, ears, trunk and feet. We added this to the buffalo skull and hide that were already on the truck plus tracker and additional PH ment we had a lot of weight in the truck. The soil near the Chobe in that area is made up of silt and sand. When it rains it creates a soap like clay that will suck in a vehicle. And that’s exactly what happened about 2 miles from the resort. We all got out of the truck and the crew started to try and dig us out. We had nothing to tie the winch onto that we could use to pull ourselves out. After digging and using branches we decided to use the winch in the back of the truck and an old rope to tie onto a bush. We unloaded all of the skins to lighten the vehicle and it worked! We loaded everything back up and headed for higher ground. As we made the loop around we ran into more and more water as it was running down towards the river. By this time it was dark out and hard to see anything. The road now looked like small ditches on either side of some ground. You guessed it, we got stuck in a small lake. This time with darkness we could not see anything and were in the middle of a grass field. Ghert decided to walk back to the lodge and see if he could get some help. As Fred and I waited, the sound of frogs and mosquitoes became very loud. As we sat there for what seemed like hours, we looked up to see some lights coming at us. Out came Ghert and Nikky. It seems that the other hunter in camp and Nikky decided to stay at Lion’s Den that night and were there when Ghert arrived looking for help. We decided to leave the truck for the night and come back in the morning to get it out. Back at Lion’s den we had a wonderful meal and Fred arranged rooms for us to stay the night. Note to anyone wearing contacts, always take your glasses and solution with you when going out for the day hunting. You never know how the day will end up. It’s a good thing I had extended wear contacts as I had to sleep in them. The lodge was great as my room overlooked the Chobe and faced Kasani. I woke early the next morning to the sounds of Hippos below my room. I packed up and walked up to the main building only to see the guys pulling in with the trucks. It seems they hatched a plan the night before to get about 15 guys from the village to go out and use people force to push out the truck. We ate breakfast and headed back to the camp with the hides. This time we took the highest ground road we could find and made it back with no trouble. The good thing about the silt sand ground is that it also drains very fast. Once back in camp the staff concentrated on the hides and getting them salted. It was a great first day to a hunt that lasted almost 48 hours.

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Two very nice buffs! thumb

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a good hunt Rhydet, enjoyed your stories too. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rhydet, what time of year did your hunt take place?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I left for the hunt on November 19th and returned the first part of December. The hunting season went until November 30th.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long is your croc? Mine slipped off the log before we could get to him and it was not recovered until after I left; so, I have no photos. The ph said it was 12'-6" more or less, but, I have no visual frame of reference other than laying out my tape measure.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The croc is 13-1/2' long.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I shot a similar sized croc last August and it was one of the highlights of the hunt. Congratulations on your successful hunt and great photos.