surprise!!! dancing

Third eye blinds the other two!
A bullet smith.

Posts: 61 | Location: ga | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
My mom sent me this video to ask if it was real or "faked."
I said it depends on what kind of "iron" they were shooting at, how far away the metal was and the load that was used. I slowed the video down and could see no "glitches" in it. If I was going to fake something like this, I would try for better looking video.

Looks real and plausible to me, having seen several richochets like this in the past.
You guys shoot these things, what do you think? Real or fake?

-Mike

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
My mom sent me this video to ask if it was real or "faked."
I said it depends on what kind of "iron" they were shooting at, how far away the metal was and the load that was used. I slowed the video down and could see no "glitches" in it. If I was going to fake something like this, I would try for better looking video.

Looks real and plausible to me, having seen several richochets like this in the past.
You guys shoot these things, what do you think? Real or fake?

-Mike

Well, anything in digital media should be taken with a grain of salt, but it appears to be real to me. Plus, it's possible. Steel core milsurp rounds are notorious for ricochets. My guess is he was shooting ball ammo, which has a mild steel core(50 BMG). Could have been shooting a scrap of train track, or a piece of I beam, or there was more than 1 piece of plate, or the piece was just at the perfect angle. Steel should never be shot at less than 300 yards or so. It is fairly common to get ricochets or steel spall coming back from the target. Knocking off the earmuffs of the shooter, not so common.

Besides, since the whole thing came off as looking so stupid, that tells me it's credible.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've been around fugly ricochettes, the whine all the way is a dead give away.. its real

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a .38 Special come back at me and leave a nasty welt on my leg. It actually bounced off a piece of really hard wood of all things.

That's when I upgraded my defense piece to a .40 S&W....

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back I was shooting my 4-bore from atop a low berm at a target about 30yds away and below me. I was (thankfully) the only one at the range. As soon as I pulled the trigger I saw a fluff of snow about 20 yards directly to my right. The bullet had (a harden lead conical) had gone through the target and grazed a 55 gallon drum down range, putting a long gouge in the side but not penetrating and "bounced" back, how I don't know, and was twirling on the ground! Other than rifling marks it had a long smear down one side. I've still got it in the garage and will try to post a picture. Scared the bejezus out of me!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goneballistic:
Besides, since the whole thing came off as looking so stupid, that tells me it's credible.
That's kinda what I thought, too.

Love your tag line BTW.
Teddy K., what a piece of sh**...

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This 100% Real. AP ammo sends the jacket back at you as the pentrator goes through the plate and leaves the jacket squashed against the flat target a force propels the jacket back in relation to the angle of the targect. the plate become the propellant. I Have had a 1" tree branch get cut about 10' above my head. Had abuddy that was almost killed shooting AP at a railroad tie in .30 cal.

And the best one for me was supressed .22 that did a triple bank shot on hard wood into my nuts that floored me for 30 minutes I still have this bullet.

Wait no the funniest one for all my worshipers is the richochet at a racoon that hit my water pipe in side my wall that flooded 3 condos. Damn .22 supressed again and I know I should of used that pellet gun. LOLOLOLO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .500Pro:
And the best one for me was supressed .22 that did a triple bank shot on hard wood into my nuts that floored me for 30 minutes I still have this bullet.

Wait no the funniest one for all my worshipers is the richochet at a racoon that hit my water pipe in side my wall that flooded 3 condos. Damn .22 supressed again and I know I should of used that pellet gun. LOLOLOLO

LOL! Oh man, you had me rollin for a while. I'd sell that .22 off. It's out to get ya.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

EekerYIKES!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Okay, you have me beat there, but only by a matter of inches...

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were shooting steel core (not AP) at flat armor plate, and found lots of these on the ground right in front of the plate. They just stopped dead and dropped. In low light, we could see red hot pieces of tip splatter all around. Didn't scratch the plate btw.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
No doubt in my mind - it's real. Bullets that heavy carry a lot of mass (no foolin, huh?) and are quite hard to destroy so they tend to bounce. My 50's did!

OK, best riccochet story was me at a club range off-duty. Parked my cop car behind the covered firing points and was happily playing with a Para P12 I'd just gotten back from the smiff. It's only a 50 yard range and I was standing about midway doing draw-and-move drills. Big crashing noise, then tinkle of broken glass behind me. One of my 200SWC's had arced high over my head passing me before taking the back window out of my Crown Vic. It had probably been in its low orbit for 2-3 seconds before hitting the car. Damn.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One fine saturday evening mybrother and I were out at a locak informal range and while my brother was reloading the clip for a my Ruger pistol a ricochet struck him in the side of his hand.

It was his left hand holding the magazine and he was in a sorta left handed "pledge of allegiance" position at the time.

The bullet FRAGMENT that struck him shattered two bones in his hand and skidded under the skin up into his forearm
If his hand hadn't absorbed the energy the shot would have struck him in the chest aboue 1/2" to the left of his solar plexus (liver, diaphram & lung) and where we were it was a 35min rid in a really fast car with an exceptionally skilled driver (me in my turbocharged Saab.) to the hospital

Someone else at the range was shooting 165gr Noslers at a steel plat and what struck my brother was the solid base from one of those bullets that apparrently did a bouncing little dance off some rocks that someone placed at 100yds.

I know because after the surgery and the police investigation I got the fragment back.

Richochets are potentially lethal even coming almost straight back to the firing point.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ricochets are potentially lethal even coming almost straight back to the firing point.

A really good reason to shoot at targets 600 and 1,000 yards away...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
Ricochets are potentially lethal even coming almost straight back to the firing point.

A really good reason to shoot at targets 600 and 1,000 yards away...

and at REAL rifle ranges that have soft, bullet absorbing backstops.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I forgot to ask you when you posted this, WHERE do you have this bullet?
jumping

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy jeans stopped the bullet and it dropped between my feet. As I saw it hit the ground my brain caught up with my nuts and then I fell over.