New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have carried and use firearms for selfdefense for over 30 years. I have seen people shot with all three rifles, shotguns and handguns they all well kill you.

They all have some usefulness even mouse guns. I live in the country and don;t have to worry about the neigbors. I keep a shotgun loaded with 8s to shoot bears in the ass when they get out there about 40 yards. At out to 25 yards or a shot gun can do a very good job on things.

One does not want to take a load of bird shot out to about 40 not that is going to kill you right away but you'll end up in the hospital and might die. Ask Dick cheanys hunting partner. I belive that was about 35 yards. All those little pellets in the lungs don't do you any good.

But it wouldn't be the frist thing I would grab for serious social work. Even loaded with buckshot Shotguns just don't have the range and power that might be needed. For up close they do a decent job. But then I have seen people a 14 yoa boy take a 3in 12 ga load in the back at about 5 feet and live to tell about it. He lost one of his kindeys. His buddy tripped when they were crossing a fence.

There was a guy who walked around town with half a face becsuse his sucide attemped didn't work so well with his 12 ga.

I have also seen people shot with center fire rifle rounds and live to tell about it.

There is no such thing as a 100 percent stopper. Shot placement and shooting till the threat stops is the key to ones protecting ones self.

If a shotgun is what I have in my hands I'll fight with that, pistol ect perferably I would rather have some type of battle rifle or carbine.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog:

Funny you should mention the guy with half a face. Probably flinched. Very common when people attempt suicide by shooting themselves somewhere above the shoulders. You see it in those who attempt to shoot themselves in the chest sometimes too. The impact is usually way off center. Suicides with mulitple shots are not uncommon at all.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soooooo...your 160lb friend was not only knocked off a stool but OBVIOUSLY lifted to get 10' from a position of 20" off the ground.

I WANT SOME OF THAT SHOT!!!!!!

"Not only are you awarded no points for your answer but we are now dumber for listening to you...and may God have mercy on your sole"
I don't usually quote Adam Sandler movies but it just seemed appropriate.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a serious note we have hunt hogs from a helo 4 times a year for the last 4 years on one ranch. The pilot outfits the shooters with a 12ga loaded with 3" 00 buck, average shots are 20-40 FEET. 10% of the hogs drop to 1 shot, most take at least 3 shots. For grins and curiosity we put in 3 1/2 BB goose loads...not even a flinch! We recovered most of the hogs and the ones shot with the BBs only have 2-3" flesh wounds. I would never put anything but buckshot in a shotgun I was trusting my life to.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If you are worried about buckshot penetration at short range through clothing or 'whatever'--- the easy fix is to shoot at the head.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
Willingly dumping a round worked.

That must mean Dan'l Boone here keeps a loaded shotgun lying by his bed in the house full time. THAT is stupid. That is how kids get killed.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that whenever I open a thread and if B3 interjects, nothing constructive or substantive is offered by said B3, and the threads rapidly go downhill into opinions and liberal rants which would be better served by being kept in the "crater".
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, "damn them libs!" Generalizations here are horseshit, this one included, but all of them specifically.

This site pretty much descended into idiocy in the Political Forum, and the contagion has become pandemic.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Hey Bruce--- there ARE some of us who do not have children in the house now or ever! Count me as one of them, please give the guy a break!

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBBruce:
quote:

That must mean Dan'l Boone here keeps a loaded shotgun lying by his bed in the house full time. THAT is stupid. That is how kids get killed.

The pipe is full, the chamber is not. You are not on high enough ground to call me stupid.

How do bears get poached again?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BBBruce:
quote:

The pipe is full, the chamber is not.

Then why did you eject a round when you racked the pump first time? I didn't call you stupid. I said that what you do is stupid.

quote:
You are not on high enough ground to call me stupid.

Yes I am. A loaded mag = a loaded shotgun. It's stupid.

Look at all the wooden heads above. Are they really saying that criticizing a loaded shotgun left under the bed is too generalized a statement? No wonder reasonable people want to take away their gun rights.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Personal experience having killed large stuff with a shotgun and seen a few humans who were killed with shotguns. Deer can be killed with #4 2.75 pheasant loads but the range must be close-like 10 yards and closer and they can run great distances before bleeding out. Penetration with #4s was enough to hit lungs from side on shots. 00 and #4 buckshot works very well with full/mod chokes out to about 50 yards with instant drops from CNS hits and deep enough penetration to hit lungs, liver and heart from side one presentation.

One self defense shooting with 12 ga. #6 hunting loads resulted in a very dead intruder from center chest hit. Range was across a livingroom (@ 19 feet). The other 2 shootings involved LEOs one with 00 buckshot range 50 feet in a closed movie theater the other was a slug and the distance was from the back to the front of a police cruiser. Both gobblins dropped on the spot and were dead almost immediately.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote