New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline not to use
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well if anyone is planning a trip to New Zealand and will be bringing a firearm I would not recommend travelling with Air New Zealand.

The reason is they have introduced a charge for travelling with firearms
From NZ to Aussie it is NZ$120 plus a return charge AU$120, Perth is NZ$200, return to NZ AU$200
US NZ$200, return to NZ US$150.
UK $200 return from UK 100 UK pounds

This is charged for each case containing a firearm and also includes any rifle that would have previously been included in your allowed baggage limit.

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
That is a real piss off,just one more reason not to fly with ANZ

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Do you know if this is just in relation to Aussie?
Be interested to get their reason, my thoughts are that it may be as much to do with ground handling in Aus as it is to Air NZ?
Thoughts or facts anybody

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the issue with Air New Zealand ground handling in Australia?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
And I would previously have recommended them over our Leprochaun-led airline.

Last time I went Air NZ they cut the price of my second piece of luggage because it contained 'sporting goods'.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Highlander no it doesn't only relate to Aussie it is any International travel with Air New Zealand. The only thing that changes is the fee they charge depending on country of departure, the fees as far as I can tell from Air New Zealands website is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if anyone is planning a trip overseas with a firearm or knows someone traveling to NZ with a firearm I would not recommend travelling with Air New Zealand.

From NZ to Aussie it is NZ$120 plus a return charge AU$120, to Perth is NZ$200, return to NZ AU$200
To the US NZ$200, return to NZ US$150.
To the UK $200 return from UK 100 UK pounds

This is charged for each case containing a firearm, even if the case isn't oversize or over 23kg, and also includes any rifle that would have previously been included in your allowed baggage limit.

Seems like Air New Zealand is now anti firearm!!!!!!

This is part of a reply I received from customer support at Air New Zealand after giving them some feedback after being charged the $120 fee.

[Quote:]
I realise that this is not the outcome that you would have desired and if you decide that you would like to take this further please email customer support directly on Flightcomment@airnz.co.nz and put your concerns into writing regarding your future travel in August, and also for the flight that you took in January. Your feedback in this respect is important as Air NZ may decide to review these charges in the future in response to customer dissatisfaction.[/quote]

If enough people express their disgust at the fees Air New Zealand is charging not only for taking a firearm but also excess baggage..........perhaps they will review their policy.

But if no one complains Air New Zealand will come to the conclusion that it's OK to rip their customers off.

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Biggest problem with Air New Zealand is the flight crew,where do they crawl out from? Mad

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have traveled with air NZ a few times and i have found them to be them to be rude and very lazy.
We were flying back from Nuie (a small country near tonga) and at the time air NZ was the only airline flying there and they were 12 hours late getting us back to NZ so we missed our connecting flights we them to back to sydney. Because they did not want re task our bags (there was a group of 15 of us) the cow of a shift manager wanted us to go out through customs collect our bags and re check them in ourselves. I stood up to her and in the end she took off in a huff saying she was not dealing with this and some of the other staff members took the 5 minutes to retask our bag.

On all the trips i flown with them there has not been one were the was no break downs or delays. Avoid them at all costs if you have an option.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
They, Air NZ cabin staff, leave their happy faces at home, assuming they have happy faces in the first place. It is a bloody shame as damn near everyone else in NZ is so friendly and are prepared to put themselves out to help and to be of assistance.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scriptus:
They, Air NZ cabin staff, leave their happy faces at home, assuming they have happy faces in the first place. It is a bloody shame as damn near everyone else in NZ is so friendly and are prepared to put themselves out to help and to be of assistance.[/QUOTE Weird eh!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Qantas flight crew....grumpy things they are.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8051 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Qantas used to be harder to get firearms on, requiring an Approval to Carry Firearms and Ammunition letter, which was good for a year once you had it, and I understand guns were not welcome on JetStar at all.

However, I googled them yesterday and both seem to have become easier to deal with. I guess now we just have to pay the
Rolls-Royce fares they charge, hopefully less than AirNZ plus gun charge.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like you can't pre-purchase an extra bag if it's a firearm so that means it isn't $120 to take a firearm to Aussie if it's an extra bag it is actually $240

When I think about the consequences of this charge by Air New Zealand it isn't good.

When traveling on one of Air New Zealand's partner airlines (Star Alliance) if part of your trip is on Air New Zealand then your baggage allowance would be Air New Zealand's allowable limit and you would be required to pay any extra charges..........another Air New Zealand customer has been told the following

Quote:
I am going through this very thing right now and here is the guts of what i've got in an email from Air NZ for a trip to Canada;

1) you cannot prepay for extra baggage if it is a firearm
2) there is a standard $200 per firearm handling fee IN ADDITION to the baggage fee of $200.

Never know if Air New Zealand get away with this other airlines may follow suit..............Kiwi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Qantas used to be harder to get firearms on, requiring an Approval to Carry Firearms and Ammunition letter, which was good for a year once you had it, and I understand guns were not welcome on JetStar at all.

However, I googled them yesterday and both seem to have become easier to deal with. I guess now we just have to pay the
Rolls-Royce fares they charge, hopefully less than AirNZ plus gun charge.
Geez, dont confuse the people!! Qantas & Jetstar do have a simple permit system - submit by email - that allows simple processing at the check-in counter. Jetstar does carry firearms - it is only Jetstar Asia that does not.

I owouldnt call all Qantas airfares Rolls Royce either... some of them can be relatively cheap... depends when and where, etc.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwishooter2:
Well it looks like you can't pre-purchase an extra bag if it's a firearm so that means it isn't $120 to take a firearm to Aussie if it's an extra bag it is actually $240

When I think about the consequences of this charge by Air New Zealand it isn't good.

When traveling on one of Air New Zealand's partner airlines (Star Alliance) if part of your trip is on Air New Zealand then your baggage allowance would be Air New Zealand's allowable limit and you would be required to pay any extra charges..........another Air New Zealand customer has been told the following

Quote:
I am going through this very thing right now and here is the guts of what i've got in an email from Air NZ for a trip to Canada;

1) you cannot prepay for extra baggage if it is a firearm
2) there is a standard $200 per firearm handling fee IN ADDITION to the baggage fee of $200.

Never know if Air New Zealand get away with this other airlines may follow suit..............Kiwi
OK that sux!! Did you ask them why?? bewildered

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwishooter2:
.Kiwi

OK that sux!! Did you ask them why?? bewildered

Maybe they don't like hunters and prefer 1080? Dunno, just saying.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bulltahr
posted Hide Post
Best airline in the world 2 out of 3 years in a row, must be doing something right..............
But definitely complain about the BS fee for firearms, hopefully we can get it reversed.
At least there isn't this BS apply for a permit in advance that Matt speaks about over there!

Foot hunting for Tahr on our own private land since 1993.

www.kiwisafaris.co.nz

Posts: 47 | Location: South Is, NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Bulltahr word is we need give notice to ANZ now to fly with firearms Confused I will phone and find out today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Air NZ for at least eight return trips to NZ in recent years, most of those trips with firearms and frequently with antlers etc. No complaints.
The $200 is ridiculous and we need to let our objection be known to the airline. A careful reading of the info on their web site will provide a clearer picture of baggage costs and requirements than reports of phone calls and mate's stories.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/excess-baggage-nz

Just went through this.

Looks like an over size fee of $60 applies for Domestic flights. What a pain.

The last time I flew with a rifle was in Oct 2011 and I had no problems going. But on the way back I had a 20kg sack of meat. I got stopped and initially they wanted to charge me for 2 extra bags. But after some negotiation the charged me $30 for one bag.

Two years earlier I had even more meat and had no problems at all.

It looks like a case for just couriering the rifle and carrying the bolt in the luggage. Costs about $25 each way & no fuss. Just a timing issue and the need to plan ahead.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bulltahr
posted Hide Post
Let's hope that it is dropped. At least they aren't charging for the first bag like in Nth America....................

www.kiwisafaris.co.nz

Posts: 47 | Location: South Is, NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
its a shame that they are the only airline that flies direct from vancouver to auckland.....

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

It looks like a case for just couriering the rifle and carrying the bolt in the luggage. Costs about $25 each way & no fuss. Just a timing issue and the need to plan ahead.
Courier a rifle for $25?? Where??

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Around in NZ. Courier is a fast , efficient way of doing it , entirely legal and not expensive.

Obviously attempting to ship the same rifle overseas isnt going to work anywhere near as well...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Around in NZ. Courier is a fast , efficient way of doing it , entirely legal and not expensive.

Obviously attempting to ship the same rifle overseas isnt going to work anywhere near as well...
You can courier a firearm inside NZ for $25?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Yes Matt and semi-autos fireams too Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
I have used Air NZ for at least eight return trips to NZ in recent years, most of those trips with firearms and frequently with antlers etc. No complaints.
The $200 is ridiculous and we need to let our objection be known to the airline. A careful reading of the info on their web site will provide a clearer picture of baggage costs and requirements than reports of phone calls and mate's stories.

Well I've read Air NZ website about baggage allowance, excess baggage, sports equipment and the only mention of firearms is on the page that outlines "excess baggage charges"

That page does not spell out it's a firearms charge, it is listed under "Overweight charge (for bags over 23kg but under 32kg), oversized items and firearms (NZD)"

When I got charged the $120 in January I was within my allowable baggage limit and neither bag was over 23kg, and neither bag was over the allowable max size.

Air NZ is very clear about this charge (NOT) to me it seems that Air New Zealand by the way they are treating licenced firearms owners are saying they dislike carrying firearms and would rather these people travel with another airline.

Nakihunter this charge does not apply for domestic travel just International travel.........so anyone wishing to take a rifle on an International flight to anywhere else in the world will be charged between NZ$120 - $200 on checkin for departure than AUD$120 - AUD$200 (or some other currency) on check in for return flight along with any excess baggage charges.

If enough people boycott Air NZ because of this Air NZ may need another government bail out

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correctly quoted Kiwishooter, but perhaps not completely understood. Smiler

Air NZ may contradict me on this BUT that section quoted indicates than in addition to the normal piece rates we will be charged an additional fee ($120, $200 whatever) if any one of the three specified situations exist in relation to any one of our checked pieces.

Those three specified situations are: Overweight, Oversize or a Firearm. This would be a little clearer if the web site had a comma between the words "item" and "firearm".

I'd like to be wrong, but I fear that I am not.

Maybe JetStar or Qantas for hunters crossing the Tasman in futurer ?

As Matt has explained, the Qantas requirements are simple and no problem. JetStar have identical arrangements to Qantas,but as always, if check in staff are unaware of their own requirements, check-in can be a little slow, and sometimes troublesome.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bulltahr
posted Hide Post
quote:

LMAO right there!!!!! Good luck flying with those guys.....................Service? er, what's that?

www.kiwisafaris.co.nz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
Correctly quoted Kiwishooter, but perhaps not completely understood. Smiler

Air NZ may contradict me on this BUT that section quoted indicates than in addition to the normal piece rates we will be charged an additional fee ($120, $200 whatever) if any one of the three specified situations exist in relation to any one of our checked pieces.

Those three specified situations are: Overweight, Oversize or a Firearm. This would be a little clearer if the web site had a comma between the words "item" and "firearm".

I'd like to be wrong, but I fear that I am not.

As Matt has explained, the Qantas requirements are simple and no problem. JetStar have identical arrangements to Qantas,but as always, if check in staff are unaware of their own requirements, check-in can be a little slow, and sometimes troublesome.

That is the problem Air New Zealand have NOT made it clear of their intention, no where does it say apart from on that page anything about a firearm.

If you were taking your allowed baggage limit then why would you look at the excess baggage charges?

This means that Air New Zealand have not made it clear to their customers that a "Firearms Fee" will be charged which means they appear to have contravened the Fair Trading Act

Taken from the Commerce Commission website.

Businesses must clearly identify the full cost to purchase a product or service upfront, so that consumers can make an informed decision about whether to purchase.

This means clearly specifying all additional costs or charges that a consumer will incur as a result of a purchase, including legal fees, administration charges, on-road costs, postage and packaging, delivery, and essential parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is a very valid point.

As it stands now, one could book a ticket with allowable luggage (one piece) of 23kg. No problem as you know that your first piece is under 23kg.

Do the right thing, buy a second piece allowance for your cased firearm, which will be way under the allowable 23kg for that second piece.

No where does this process flag the additional firearm fee.

Arrive at check-in and be unpleasantly surprised (as Kiwishooter was)with an extra charge of $120/$200.

Not good Air New Zeraland!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
Yes Matt and semi-autos fireams too Big Grin
Cheap eh, I guess it is all 'just up the road' . We do have some self-loaders here, just not very many... Mad

Bulltahr - Qantas service, as a rule is fine.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best way to see what Air NZ disclose is the next time someone books a ticket is to check out the actual terms and conditions with the ticket. I read somewhere else that Air NZ confirmed that firearms would always attract the extra baggage costs.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulltahr:

At least there isn't this BS apply for a permit in advance that Matt speaks about over there!
I can explain it to you Colin but I cant understand it for you mate. Roll Eyes

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is one of the funnier things I've seen this week. Well done, Matt.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bulltahr
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Very true mate, I'd rather just not have to do either................

www.kiwisafaris.co.nz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reply to another person about the reason for the "Firearms handling fee"

Thank you for your email regarding our firearm handling fee.

There are a number of additional costs associated with
transporting firearms by air. While in the past Air New
Zealand has been able to absorb this cost within its ticket
prices, unfortunately we are no longer able to sustain this
additional cost whilst keeping our year round airfares
competitive for all customers. As a result Air New Zealand
have recently introduced the firearm handling fee by way of
recovering these additional charges.

The firearms handling fee applies to International journeys
only. These charges are in addition to the existing checked
baggage limits. The fee is charged at the airport on the day
of travel.

XXXX, I trust the above has provided clarification on the
carriage of firearms. We look forward to having you fly
with us in the near future and trust we will better meet
your expectations at this time.

Kind Regards

Anita
Direct Sales
Air New Zealand

The next step is to seek clarification about exactly "what" and "how" such expenses are incurred. Could mean that all other airlines may think that this fee is justified and introduce it themselves.

Would like to find out the process for handling a firearm for International travel.......obviously it is expenses incurred solely for International travel as they don't charge for domestic travel.

So that would rule out putting on the firearm tag and the physical picking up and delivering.

One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Ok I'm making some noise to the people that I know will find the answers to this.
Kiwishooter thanks for bringing this to our attention and getting an answer/statement from Air NZ.
I'll be some what dissapointed if I/we can't resolve this pretty quickly and find a solution that takes us back to the status quo.
Air NZ may be able to bring this policy in un annouced on the recreational hunter but lets see if flexing a little "professional" muscle can benefit all off us for a change.
See what I can do

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a number of additional costs associated with
transporting firearms by air. UOTE]

polysyllabic non-speak

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Highlander!!! tu2

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV