Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do they compare???

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what species you are referring to - the domestic buffalo gone feral (Bubalis bubalis) or the Wild Buffalo (Bubalis arni).

They are totally different species and very different in levels of aggression, size, danger etc.

Bubalis arni will charge an elephant. They kill people regularly in the wild.

A tiger will not take on a mature bull Bubalis arni (but tigers regularly kill bull Gaur and Bubalis bubalis).

sofa

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11019 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
water buffalo, gone feral or wild can be fun to hunt. Neither has any history of aggression faintly comparing to Cape Buffalo as far as I have read.

I have thought about hunting water buffalo, but remembering them being used to plow fields in RVN keeps me from taking them too seriously.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the Water Buffalo hasn't had 100 years of being written about as "Dangerous game", wooooo.

Haven't hunted Cape Buff but have Water buff
and had them charge, back up into a thicket of Saplings and wait for us, take a circuitous route and try to come at me from behind,
need I go on ?

NitroExpress has written a good piece on this
subject on the NE Forum.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shucks even "domesticated cattle" will do that!

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not the experience of some on here but I have shot 2 of each (2 in Zimbabwe, 2 in northern Aussie)..

Both are black(ish)

Both are easy to hit (ie. LARGE targets)

Both are easy to sneak up on if you have the wind

Both are fun to hunt

Both are mostly easy to hunt (flat sandy terrian in warm pleasant weather)

Both can soak lead up from a large bore rifle

One is WAY overly hyped and the other is much under appreciated.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your insights.... As much as I would like to return to Africa life is short, not a bad goal to see and experience other parts of the world while carrying a rifle.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting at 21 buffalo spread across Africa, Argentina and Australia. With a bit of luck I'll be able to add a couple or three in the coming months in Australia and Moz.

So far, none have taken a swing at me. None, as in zilch, nada, zero. Its almost like they aren't going to.

Fun to hunt? Sure. Tough to kill? Check, or at least they die awful slow. Difficulty to hunt seems to have more to do with local conditions and numbers than anything else.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Aussie water buff resemble the "arni" type water buff perfectly.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"arni"?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I only hunted a cape, but I think, hit them ( any wild cattle ungulates ) badly in thick stuff, they will all come. They all are genetically conditioned to fend off large predators.
ultimately it all depends on place and time and how much they get harassed by predators.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Water Buff cows with young are nearly as bad.
Can almost guarantee a charge !

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
I have not the experience of some on here but I have shot 2 of each (2 in Zimbabwe, 2 in northern Aussie)..

Both are black(ish)

Both are fun to hunt

Your last sentence should go down in hunting lore. Not so sure it was most succinctly put but 100% true tu2

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Matt must be in the bush or he would have been all over my post! rotflmo stir

Rich - just do a bit research on Assam Wild buffalo & you will see a lot of info on how dangerous they are! there are very few left in the wild and they are not hunted BUT they do kill people each year.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11019 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
"arni"?

See first post by Nakihunter - Bubalis Ami

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Asiatics in Australia lack the predators they have in Africa (man and best).

Both are black(ish)

Both are fun to hunt

Your last sentence should go down in hunting lore. Not so sure it was most succinctly put but 100% true tu2
Most likely!!

Asiatic Buffalo ((NT) v's Cape Buffalo - generally accepted -

Asiatic heavier than a cape, on average.
Asiatic do not form the large defensive herds (with multiple bulls) like Capes.
Asiatic not AS inclined to attack at close quarters, as a Cape (defensive tactics?)

That is about all I know, aside from basic anatomical differences.

Some people will tell you that Capes are naturally more wary, spooky etc... but that is most likely just conditioning in certain areas.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we started a thread about known attacks by each species, anyone care to hazard a guess which one dominates...?

As one Robert Ruark wrote over half a century ago RE Cape Buffalo: "they simply look at you as if you owe them money."

Not belittling the Asian, but comparing them to the Cape is like comparing mountain lions to leopards.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
If we started a thread about known attacks by each species, anyone care to hazard a guess which one dominates...?

Well if you have more people around and hunting Cape Buffalo, it's only natural that more people
are going to get charged !

And by "attack" do you mean attacked
or charged after someone had put a
bullet in them ?

FYI, Water Buffalo have charged and killed
people and horses totally unprovoked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As one Robert Ruark wrote over half a century ago RE Cape Buffalo: "they simply look at you as if you owe them money."

I would say that as a creative writer who was also a raging alcoholic, [46 bottles of gin over a 42 day safari]

that his stories may have been just a little embelished, ..just like the stories from his alcohlic idol, Hemingway.

BY accounts, Ruark was also a macho loud mouth bragger type[of his hunting exploits]
when attending social events/cocktail parties.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not belittling the Asian, but comparing them to the Cape is like comparing mountain lions to leopards.
Why NOT compare them, they are very similar in many respects?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:

Some people will tell you that Capes are naturally more wary, spooky etc... but that is most likely just conditioning in certain areas.

I have even seen that in Cape Buffalo from different areas. Particularly notable in one area without Lion compared with those areas that have Lion.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

I have even seen that in Cape Buffalo from different areas. Particularly notable in one area without Lion compared with those areas that have Lion.
Makes sense to me.

A friend of mine hunted in Masailand last year and she said the Cape buffalo (thousands) were standing around like dumb-arses. On the contrary - I just finished a hunt for Asiatic buffalo, some bulls that were particularly sneaky - having been pursued regularly before and were really switched-on. We ended-up taking a bull that I knew, on a remote swamp, one that tried to take a piece of me when I was there last year hunting pigs. He showed the same agressive behhaviour this time around, right before we killed him.

What I am getting at is it is, IMO, more about the environment and local and situational circumstances than the animal themselves.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well having shot a heap of water buff........well two actually, a cow for meat and a bull sofa and hopefully bagging a cape buff in September/October, I'll pretty soon be an expert in all things buff hunting dancing I'll let you all know which one is tougher when I get back Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

"I have never been charged by a buffalo, despite killing some 700 of these animals.
But do you think any hunter would believe me when I say this? "
WDM Bell

LIkely not a lot, because it seems numerous people prefer to hear embelished stories by professional alcoholics
[like Hemingway,Ruark,Crapstick]..who just happened to also take up African hunting.... beer

CRapstick worked as a bartender in Botswana....and bought his PH license in Zambia, like anyone could at the time.

In most countries you had to work under a PH for a period and then do proficiency tests both written and in the field to obtain a licence.
Tanzania & Zambia being exceptions.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
....... and hopefully bagging a cape buff in September/October, ....
Sure hope you do mate!! dancing

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Water Buff cows with young are nearly as bad.
Can almost guarantee a charge !

I 100% believe 505G's experience, but it is completely different to mine. Where I hunt, they never charge, not ever.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They think Nigel is molesting their young'uns... and charge! Big Grin

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

YUP

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I am getting at is it is, IMO, more about the environment and local and situational circumstances than the animal themselves.

A friend of mine "Blackfoot design" hunted one particular bull water buffalo for quite a few day and found him quite difficult to get onto. He put this down to the fact that he was on a Crop farm and the buff were getting persecuted quite a bit.
A hard life keeps your edge.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not bad from someone that has never hunted or witnessed an Asiatic buffalo hunt in Australia. Obviously never been to the NT or would have some understanding as to why relatively few people are killed or injured there by buffalo.
A week before my first trip to the NT in 2005 a guy had been killed by a buff out Nhulunbuy way. When I was up there last year I happened to meet a station owner who had spent several months in hospital the year prior after being gored by a buffalo heifer. Someone forgot to tell those two animals that they aren't dangerous.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Arguing about which is tougher is pointless. They are both big animals that can hurt you if things go wrong. I think a lot of it also depends on the individual animal. As I think I've said here before, a mate of mine who was a guide rates the scrub bulls as tougher and nastier than water buff....... popcorn

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7991 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bakes

Fair call.

Not sure about tougher but nastier !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo run rings around a scrub bull in the toughness department. Not even in the same league. Scrub bulls are cool, very cool animals to hunt though ....

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe both are very intersting and fun to hunt ,and you can have problems with both if you dont connect the FIRST shot properly .

Posts: 108 | Location: Cordoba | Registered: 15 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I have experienced interesting charges with water buffalos here in Argentina most of them ,after being shot ,or when we drive them with our dogs .
Some hunts were very easy ,and some a nigthmare in the swamps and bush after a bad shot .
If you connect a perfect shot with a good caliber ,things can be very easy .
On the other hand ,i believe cape buffalos are one of the more funnies species to be hunted ,so you need to experiment both to have an opinion .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thank God that I've had the opportunity to hunt 6 different species of cattle. God willing, I want to end life saying that I had to opportunity to hunt all the wild cattle of the world.
From my perspective, the Cape was the toughest hunt, thick bush and very difficult to get a shot opportunity. My Argentine water buff was the toughest animal in that he absorbed the most lead. The Aussie Scrub Bull was the wildest, 2d only to my Bison, and most likely to flee at a high rate of speed upon the mere suggestion that a hunter was in the same zip code. My Savannah was also an extremely wary animal living in thick bush, thus a challenging hunt.
By far, the absolute meanest of the bunch was old "Roany" that lived on a neighbors ranch. That old biddy would attack any human she could find - even if you were on horseback - and she was out for blood. Roany was impossible to pen without roping her and she ruined at least 2 good roping horses before she succombed to a well aimed 30-06.
All were extremely challenging hunts and I enjoyed the travel and experience. Of course, this is only my experience. Others are much more experienced than I and will have different observations than I've had with my limited sample. Next on my bucket list, Banteng and Dwarf Forrest Buffs.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 933 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post Pancho!! Dwarf buff are cool - I would like to try and get one one day. Where would you hunt for one? Apparently that Congo concesssion has heaps. I just spent a few days with Jim Shockey, hunting buff and scrub bulls and he said he would do that Congo buff hunt again in a heartbeat.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
In todays Outdoor Hub daily email is this tale.
It started off nicely with the hunter taking one on with his bow,then it all turns to crap with the veehheeickle used as a chaser and a safe place to shoot from.I`m sure the old boys would shake their heads!

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stor...ire%201&utm_content=

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
High fence cape buffalo - what do you expect?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pancho:
You ever been around wild bramha's?
We raised 'em and got quite an education
about Sacred Cattle!

Glad you're gettin out and doing these hunts.
Wish you well and safe too.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote