New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frustrated with .22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too be a smart ass but sell it and go with the 222Remington.I did it was the best thing I did.

Liberty is worth whatever the country is worth. It is by liberty that man has a country; it is by liberty he has rights." -- Henry Giles
Rifleman.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77 hornet shooters, bad grouping ???

Go to " www.centralfirecentral.com " click on 22 hornet, they have a simple soultion involving a shim which solved my problems. You will have to experiment with the right thickness shim & the bolt will open & close a lil tight, BUT IT WORKS !!

I use a 40 sierra blitz king ,13.3 grs lil gun, in a win.case, & cci 550 primer.

Hope this helps clap

Wiskers

Posts: 9 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you will ever get the Ruger to shoot!
buy something else a CZ ? Like another Post he said that out of the box it shoots , I had a simlar experiance 1/2 inch.
Best Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Ruger .22Hs for some years (since '78 with #3). I've also two TC Contender barrels, a 10" and a 21" and have loaded for several other 22H rifles. For best accuracy I've found you need to neck size the brass just enough to hold the bullets. Backing out the FL sizer will not do it, it will give you crooked necks. Use the Lee collet die or as I do, a Redding bushing die. Seems the closer the case is to being well fire formed the better the accuracy. I use both SR and SP primers. I've found in some rifles the SP primer works best but in others it makes no difference. With the older Rugers and other rifles with 1-16" twists the 40 gr or under bullets usually shoot the best. I've pretty much settled on a "standard" Hornet load that shoots well in all rifles; In Remington cases the 40 gr Sierra .224 Hornet bullet over 11.8 gr H4227 with a SP (WSP) primer. It will run about 2640 fps. This is a safe load for all .22Hs.

With the newer Rugers that have 1-14" twists and the TCs with 1-12s heavier bullets can be used and I favor the Hornady 45 gr Hornet bullet over 12.5 gr H110 with a WSR primer. These run 2880 fps with very good accuracy. The same load with the 40 gr Sierra runs 2975 fps with equal accuracy. However the Hornady holds up better past 150 yards.

I have not tried the lighter 35 gr bullets with LilGun powder yet but a friend uses it with very good accuracy in his Ruger 77/22H. He had trouble with his rifle as you have until he refined his loading technique as I've suggested.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ultimate Solution:Sent back to Ruger for the third time. While admitting nothing, they are offering a new replacement. I said yes and plan to take it (NIB) to Jaqua's and trade for a Rem 700 heavy barrel SS .223.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote